Lithium Fire Citrus Grove

Old 04-02-2024, 06:17 PM

Golf Cart Batteries | Dakota Lithium Batteries

chemistry comparison
LifePO4 vs. Lithium Ion Batteries - Dakota Lithium Batteries

education is key and continuing education is how your brain is re-programmed. .[/QUOTE]

One other thing I would add is due your due diligence on who manufacturers the cells in the Dakota Lithium Batteries. There are a lot of companies that make batteries but there are much fewer that produce the cells. They purchase the cells and create the battery around them and some of these are using cheap Chinese cells.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:26 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Topspinmo;2317804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Who starts these rumors? I leave my cart plugged in always. I also leave my electric bikes, cell phones, drill, circular saw, sander, and polisher, all of which are lithium powered plugged in 24/7 when not using them. Gas carts are much more likely to catch fire than an electric cart. I'm not even sure if the lithium fire story is true at all. There has been ZERO news stories on any fires in TV.[/QUOTE

I see you like to Gambler
If you only read the Sun, no stories regarding carts on fire will be found. Read the news outside of the Developers hands and you will find MANY- both gas and electric carts. One in Brownwood and one in Lake Sumter made the news a few months ago. Several others (with pictures) have been posted over the years. Some were even posted onto YouTube. I believe Dave and Brenda filmed a cart on fire on their route home. It happens more frequently than you are led to believe.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
One other thing I would add is due your due diligence on who manufacturers the cells in the Dakota Lithium Batteries. There are a lot of companies that make batteries but there are much fewer that produce the cells. They purchase the cells and create the battery around them and some of these are using cheap Chinese cells.
Totally agree.
Its still a bit of the wild, wild west of products, I totally agree.
Prices are coming down, but not to commodity status yet.

The recommended Chinese mfg of retail batteries, Litime.com, only gives a 5 year warranty, no US presence, drop shipped from China, and email only support with a 12 hour delay. I went with the US Mfg (assembled maybe), US service, and 11 year warranty and 150% of the Litime.com. Figured that was best, as compared to battlebornbatteries.com, which has prices 2X DakotaLithium.com.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
If you only read the Sun, no stories regarding carts on fire will be found. Read the news outside of the Developers hands and you will find MANY- both gas and electric carts. One in Brownwood and one in Lake Sumter made the news a few months ago. Several others (with pictures) have been posted over the years. Some were even posted onto YouTube. I believe Dave and Brenda filmed a cart on fire on their route home. It happens more frequently than you are led to believe.
Sure cannot find "many" or "several". Two last year? One so far this year but nothing in any news that I've seen so far.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 04-03-2024 at 05:37 AM.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,267 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill14564;2318105]
Quote:

Sure cannot find "many" or "several". Two last year? One so far this year but nothing in any news that I've seen so far.
It's all relative. Cart fires seem no worse than the number homes a year set fire in the Villages by lightening.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:20 PM
Thanked 1,137 Times in 248 Posts

Fake news. There was no lithium fire. A lithium fire burns and burns until it finally burns out which takes a very long time. A golf cart would be totally destroyed as would any structure it was in. There may well have been some small fire but it was not lithium batteries. This rumor just got started by some loser who hates electric vehicles, e-bikes whatever.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Bill14564;2318105]
Quote:

One every few months in the Villages is SEVERAL by my définition. MANY incidents are reported in the news throughout Florida. I would hate to see more.

It is easy to say, " it will never happen to me." However, news outlets continue to remind GOLF CARTS, BOTH GAS AND ELECTRIC, can quickly catch fire. Some recommend charging outside of your home. As they say, an ounce of prevention.....

I remember seeing a YouTube video with a fireman explaining how golf carts catch on fire. I believe he worked in Palm Beach, Florida. I was unable to locate the video to upload. To my recollection, hydrogen gas emitted into the air when charging a cart sets off detectors in homes.

Reminder. My original post was in response to another that stated: THERE HAS BEEN ZERO NEW STORIES IN TV ABOUT FIRES. This is not true. SEVERAL have indeed been reported in TV. My ability to name a few does not mean there has not been more. There have been MANY reports throughout Florida. How many news casts or articles will it take for one to understand cart fires happen more often than believed? I find it strange that some do not even believe an eyewitness. (OP)

Last edited by margaretmattson; 04-02-2024 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,429 Times in 2,081 Posts

Quote:
One every few months in the Villages is SEVERAL by my définition. MANY incidents are reported in the news throughout Florida. I would hate to see more.

It is easy to say, " it will never happen to me." However, news outlets continue to remind GOLF CARTS, BOTH GAS AND ELECTRIC, can quickly catch fire. Some recommend charging outside of your home. As they say, an ounce of prevention.....

I remember seeing a YouTube video with a fireman explaining how golf carts catch on fire. I believe he worked in Palm Beach, Florida. I was unable to locate the video to upload. To my recollection, hydrogen gas emitted into the air when charging a cart sets off detectors in homes.

Reminder. My original post was in response to another that stated: THERE HAS BEEN ZERO NEW STORIES IN TV ABOUT FIRES. This is not true. SEVERAL have indeed been reported in TV. My ability to name a few does not mean there has not been more. There have been MANY reports throughout Florida. How many news casts or articles will it take for one to understand cart fires happen more often than believed? I find it strange that some do not even believe an eyewitness. (OP)
It will take more than the ZERO news stories about electric cart fires in the Villages for me to believe that cart fires happen frequently.

I remember two news stories about cart fires in the Villages last year. If there were more, find a third and I will accept that there were three stories about cart fires.

I do not remember any stories about electric cart fires in the Villages last year. There has been speculation and accusation, even going so far as to ignore the information in the reporting about gasoline running down the road and STILL claiming it was a lithium cart fire.

Lithium cart fires likely do happen. Some don't get reported in any papers, I don't read all the papers, and I could have missed one. But there sure are not a lot of lithium cart fires and not more than gasoline cart fires, at least here in the Villages.

As far as believing the eyewitness... I believe there were fire engines and sirens which is what the eyewitness reported. I believe the garage door was cut from that home and that there is obvious smoke damage to the automobile. I believe the cart in the picture is likely an Evolution lithium cart. But I do not know if the lithium battery was the cause of the fire or even involved in the fire.

If the lithium battery was involved in this fire, then it is clear that it did not cause the catastrophic damage that is demonstrated in the YouTube and Tik-Tok videos.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-03-2024, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,929 Times in 923 Posts

[QUOTE=margaretmattson;2318118]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post

yes, we count fires on our fingers, between several to many, a lot if toes are included. But the only measure of safety is the relative proportion of fire to population. There is a very high number of golf carts in TV, in absolute and relative to other areas the same size in the rest of FL. Ergo, there will be more fires, which we count, even if there is the same or lower relative proportional of cart fires, both gas and electric, or even at a constant level of safety, accidents happen.

Just follow common safety procedures, and keep all your equipment properly maintained, and replace old or worn out equipment, including chargers and power controllers, and sometimes cheaper is not the best with electrical charging and control equipment.

can we please get back to some serious speculation and hyperbole where eye witnesses are not available and facts are non existent?
Old 04-03-2024, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Could have been short unrelated to batteries?
A neighbor had a car catch on fire (complete loss) due to a Chinese USB lithium battery pack left plugged in the car.

Similar to incidents reported on aircraft.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
It will take more than the ZERO news stories about electric cart fires in the Villages for me to believe that cart fires happen frequently.

I remember two news stories about cart fires in the Villages last year. If there were more, find a third and I will accept that there were three stories about cart fires.

I do not remember any stories about electric cart fires in the Villages last year. There has been speculation and accusation, even going so far as to ignore the information in the reporting about gasoline running down the road and STILL claiming it was a lithium cart fire.

Lithium cart fires likely do happen. Some don't get reported in any papers, I don't read all the papers, and I could have missed one. But there sure are not a lot of lithium cart fires and not more than gasoline cart fires, at least here in the Villages.

As far as believing the eyewitness... I believe there were fire engines and sirens which is what the eyewitness reported. I believe the garage door was cut from that home and that there is obvious smoke damage to the automobile. I believe the cart in the picture is likely an Evolution lithium cart. But I do not know if the lithium battery was the cause of the fire or even involved in the fire.

If the lithium battery was involved in this fire, then it is clear that it did not cause the catastrophic damage that is demonstrated in the YouTube and Tik-Tok videos.
The recent golf cart fires here in the Villages were gas carts. In most of the cases the owner fills up the cart with gas and either they spill some on the engine or they don't tighten the gas cap properly and as they drive off, gas spills on the engine and catches fire. We spoke to the fire department chief and they have only put out gas cart fires recently, no electric carts. No this isn't to say that electric carts and cars or even hybrid cars with batteries can't catch fire but it's very rare. More likely, people by these lithium starter batteries from Amazon, who knows where they were made, and these for sure raise the risk of fire if not used properly.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,762 Times in 1,538 Posts

Most important question to me is, "was anyone hurt"?
Old 04-03-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Why do you think the Government mandates No Lithium Batteries in cargo holes of air planes??? !!!
Let us remember that in 1905 the infernal combustion engine was "scaring" the horses. Batteries for cars, trucks, golf cart, motorcycles and bicycles are MERELY in their INFANCY. Battery technology will improve - I can guarantee that ! Why pray-tell? Because of a laundry list of advantages that E-vehicles have over corresponding infernal combustion engines. To name a few.........the E-engine has about one-third the parts of the IC engine. The E-engine turns in a circle vs up and down for the ICE. The battery vehicle like a Tesla has a LOWER CENTER OF GRAVITY than an IC engine vehicle. Lower Center of Gravity makes acceleration, de-acceleration (aka
braking) and cornering WAY better.
.........Battery technology will improve just like IC engine vehicles improved from 1910 until today. The FUTURE is bright for ELECTRIC vehicles.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

[QUOTE=Altavia;2318107]
Quote:

It's all relative. Cart fires seem no worse than the number homes a year set fire in the Villages by lightening.
And each year there will be more lightning because the Atlantic and Gulf waters will be warmer. Warm air produces more clouds and more cloud friction produces more lightning "sticks".
Old 04-03-2024, 11:28 AM

Looks like this was a successful April 1 prank.

Well done.

Tags
fire, lithium, electric, batteries, toys

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.