Live Oaks. Beautiful and dangerous and protected.

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Gold member
Default Your information is simply wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
They are not all "Live Oaks". Some are the weeds of the tree family. Laurel Oaks are weeds. I slept better this storm knowing my Oak was cut down. Big bucks well spent.
RE: weed
There is no such thing as a weed it is simply a plant that grows where YOU do not want it.

AS TO OAKS:
There are at least 400 varieties of oaks in the US. A great GIFT of nature is DIVERSITY. Should one variety of OAK or of any tree be attacked by disease or insect-TOO OFTEN IMPORTED-something else will take its place.

In recent years, we've had our dogwood tress decimated by disease and yet varieties survive. We've lost the stately chestnut trees that used to be common even in the 1960's. Ash trees are currently dying off in mass.

A bit of a tree hugger perhaps. By the way, TRUTH, I heard the towns folks wondering about the ......... of the Villages tearing out OAKS and planting weeds called PALMS.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM
Gold member

Not sure what the OP's post intended, since the trees on the ground were naturally down from a storm, but regarding the protection of all trees in TV, this is from the FAQ section of the district gov website:

"Do I need ARC approval to remove a tree?
Yes. No tree with a trunk four (4) inches or more in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining permission from the ARC. "

Not just oaks, but any tree.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

My definition of weed also Sue. So if the tree is your yard and you do not want it there it is a weed.

Protected does not mean from damage from nature but as Collie points out from regulations forbidding you from removing it without a permit.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 PM

I live on the golf course with many live oak trees. They really took a beating in the storm. The moss is no longer flowing in the Breese, it's all shriveled up and an ugly color. As a matter of fact, two look like they should be in a scary Halloween movie. I wish they would take them down, they are really ugly.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 AM
Veteran member

Our huge oak trees with the moss hanging down is reminiscent of how we picture an old southern mansion, surrounded by these trees.

Unfortunately, the old, mature oaks with all that moss on them, can cause many of them to uproot.
The moss is heavy, particularly when wet, and some of these trees are virtually covered with it.
Heavy moss coverage is one reason an oak tree can blow over during a storm.

Most of it should really be removed because it does not permit light and air to penetrate through the canopy.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:48 AM
Sage

Those big beautiful trees on Buena Vista won't be so beautiful when one of the really big limbs crushes a vehicle and kills someone==then there will be complaints-this was an accident waiting to happen--the developer should have known better
Old 09-15-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The reason this has been on my mind is that we have gone out to check on friends homes who are not here at present and one has a large Oak in their yard. I could just see it falling on their house during the night of the Hurricane. Thank Goodness it did not. But in doing some errands we have seen some big limbs fallen on the ground and there have been many photo's shared on the online news and Facebook of huge oaks falling on the golfcourse and one near a rec center. They could be deadly in a Hurricane and probably have been deadly in a Hurricane in other places in Florida.

One of the most beautiful areas in all of The Villages, to me is the area on Buena Vista near where you turn to go to Lake Sumter with the canopy of huge Oak Trees and lovely trimmed foliage of every hue. I always think that this is what heaven must look like.
At least this is the road to haven!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Those big beautiful trees on Buena Vista won't be so beautiful when one of the really big limbs crushes a vehicle and kills someone==then there will be complaints-this was an accident waiting to happen--the developer should have known better
The developer didn't plant the trees and I don't believe that he is allowed to take them down. This whole issue was discussed at great length when several large Oaks were removed by a Villager living in Bridgeport on Lake Miona. The oaks were on District Land behind the home of a villager. The reason for their removal appeared to be to improve their view of Lake Miona and to sell their home. The St. John River Authority leveled a fine on the District for this and the District didn't do it. The Villager anonymously paid something of the fine. It is still not clear to me, who did what and why. There is some rule to not allow people to cut down large Oak Trees. That is the reason I used the word "protected".

P.S. I found this about Lake County;

https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/pdfs/gr...protection.pdf

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-15-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
There is some rule to not allow people to cut down large Oak Trees. That is the reason I used the word "protected".
Particularly if they are not on property you own!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
One of the most beautiful areas in all of The Villages, to me is the area on Buena Vista near where you turn to go to Lake Sumter with the canopy of huge Oak Trees and lovely trimmed foliage of every hue. I always think that this is what heaven must look like.
I totally agree!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM
Gold member
Default Not sure why these threads always become a p ing match

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Still waiting for original poster to back up "protected" claim. Appears to be another thread that has no factual basis for the allegations made.
If you check you will find you need a permit to remove any tree in the villages beyond, I think it is six inches in diameter.

IT DOES SEEM YOU ARE ARGUING OVER A NON-EXISTENT TREE
Old 09-16-2017, 03:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
If you check you will find you need a permit to remove any tree in the villages beyond, I think it is six inches in diameter.

IT DOES SEEM YOU ARE ARGUING OVER A NON-EXISTENT TREE
Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Not sure what the OP's post intended, since the trees on the ground were naturally down from a storm, but regarding the protection of all trees in TV, this is from the FAQ section of the district gov website:

"Do I need ARC approval to remove a tree?
Yes. No tree with a trunk four (4) inches or more in diameter shall be removed or effectively removed through excessive injury without first obtaining permission from the ARC. "

Not just oaks, but any tree.
Collie1228, in his/her post #32, made it pretty clear what is involved in the removal of a tree.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I have seen a lot of fallen oaks this past couple of days, both here and on TV. Yet they are protected.

What say you?
Protected you say ??? Tell that to the huge mature trees that were uprooted along CR 101. Or how about the trees that are being ripped from the ground along Morse Blvd..
Old 09-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by refeik View Post
Protected you say ??? Tell that to the huge mature trees that were uprooted along CR 101. Or how about the trees that are being ripped from the ground along Morse Blvd..
I did not mean protected from The Hurricane. I meant protected by statutes that say they cannot be removed after they reach a certain diameter.

Sometimes you have to read back two or three posts, I was not clear.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:10 AM
Sage

Some of you people can''t actually be saying you don't know what the term "protected" means in the context of the original post, can you? If so, I wouldn't admit it so readily.
Closed Thread

Tags
protected, oaks, days, dangerous, beautiful

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.