Living dangerously ?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2023, 05:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David114 View Post
I have an EGO not Ezgo which I think is golf cart. Courtyard Villa Corner Lot. Deans etc does not come frequently enough in growing season nor back off when not needed so I cut it myself though I would rather not. I like the EGO very much but if I had it to do over, I would go for the self propelled version.
I love EGO, mower, bush trimmers, and blower are all EGO. Long lasting batteries… Top Quality
Old 05-11-2023, 08:39 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

I use EGO equipment to handle my lawn chores. The mower is a 21" self-propelled, using a 5.0aH battery. Our lot is about 10,000 SqFt, and I can easily mow the yard on a single charge. I also use an EGO string trimmer and blower, both of which use a 2.5aH battery. As with the mower, no issues getting the yard work done on a single charge. I've been using this equipment for a year now with no issues. Very happy with the quality and performance.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:52 AM

I have an EGO. It works great. I have a courtyard villa, so a small lawn. It takes me about 1/2 hours and I charge it maybe every third mowing. I would guess the battery lasts about 2 hours. It charges quite fast. It is also self propelled, which I would recommend. I also got the string trimmer. The battery makes it quite heavy, but if you balance it right it’s ok.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

I have a yard service for $50 a month. There were two guys on my street that did their own. Great guys always had my admiration! Operative word were. One had back surgery twice and the other heart attack. I played golf with them and now neither are playing anymore. The wife and I go to the gym twice a week and belong to a couple of clubs. Besides occasional travel, church activity, we stay very busy. On the other hand, a former H.S. Classmate, who lives here in another village, still mows his yard and I remember him telling me that he went from a Toro battery to gas a year ago. I think the battery mower was Toro and know the gas is. He said the battery mower “just didn’t cut that St Augustine grass”. I just shrugged? Be safe in that summer heat. To each his own. Fore.

Last edited by justjim; 05-11-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2023, 12:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
Have a premier home with a "large" lot. $70 a month for lawn cutting, edging and blowing.

Bad news is on some occasions they wake me from my nap.

Good luck with all your mowers, edgers, and blowers.
Can you PM me with your guys name & phone #? TIA

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-11-2023, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We use EGO for both of our lawns, 10,000sf. Batteries last little over an hour. No worries with mid and upper model on St A grass. Blower and edger are light weight easy to use
Old 05-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IF (big if) you end up with a 120 volt ac powered lawn mower please do the following.
First make sure all of the outlets you would use have WORKING GFCI installed.
Second, find the most obnoxious colored extension cord, so it is easy to AVOID.
Third, as previously noted look at your lawn and figure out a pattern that avoids crossing the cord.
Fourth, make sure the cord is rated for the ampacity of the mower.

As for battery powered mower you might check with consumer reports to see if they did any testing on these.
Thanks ! Had one corded once but don't think we'll go that route again, though we certainly had an abundance of GFCI's put in when we built, all around the house and in house and garage, but think if we decide against battery mower, will probably just go the same old Sears gas again. BTY, concerning the GFC's , the freezer in the garage is not near a conventional outlet, so is plugged into a GFC... you probably can guess.. gone to see the kids in St. Louis, came back, had storm "trip" it, hundred of dollars of meat... horrible, stinking, mess ! What to do ? Can the outlet be converted from GFC to standard so this never happens again while we are gone ? Thanks....
Old 05-11-2023, 11:23 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I made the conscious decision to go with the Makita cordless. Once you buy into a brand it is easiest to stay with that brand.

Makita makes more cordless tools than anyone else. Makita chargers fan cool the batteries while charging to prevent overheating. I believe that they have at least four mowers to choose from.

Makita avoids marketing hype. A Makita 21 inch mower means a 21" blade. Other brands have 21" decks but 19" blades. It is not the cheapest brand but the pain of price is felt only once.
Super thanks for the feedback... Makita (wow, a bright blue..LOL !) and a Stihl were the two we've so far found to be in consideration, but were also very surprised to find Walmart's brand, Hart, supercharged self propelled (runs about $538) seems to also have very good reviews, so hoped to get replies from people like you who actually own and use certain one... the "star" ratings on line may, or may not (?) but genuine !
Old 05-11-2023, 11:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
We have had all three, gas, electric via cord and battery. Cord is a pain, and i have cut it and patched it a bunch of times. . Now, battery operated is the way to go. But the mowers are light and the grass can get tough for light weight mowers to cut low enough so lightest weight might not be the best for the FL grasses.

no more gas, storage and mixing etc, too messy versus popping a battery in and just go.

good luck

electrifried guy
Yes, tried one corded long ago, even when you learn the "pattern", it's still a pain. What brand of battery do you have ? St. Augustine can be tough for sure, but really want to explore before we go gas again !
Old 05-11-2023, 11:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David114 View Post
I have an EGO not Ezgo which I think is golf cart. Courtyard Villa Corner Lot. Deans etc does not come frequently enough in growing season nor back off when not needed so I cut it myself though I would rather not. I like the EGO very much but if I had it to do over, I would go for the self propelled version.
Thank you SO MUCH... we have definitely been leaning self propelled if we go battery. Not in a villa, designer model but NOT on a corner lot so a very manageable lawn. And yes, the "services" are nearly $900 a year, cut it when THEY want to, are loud, have done all kinds of things (used huge riding mower and ground collapsed and broke a neighbor's irrigation, another neighbor had some guy (always a different guy !) hit his vinyl siding with a GAS EDGER and put a whole in it ! THEN, when his boss was called, denied he did it. and so on. But like I said, the biggest benefit over the money savings year after year, but the benefit of the physical exercise (though not very strenuous like the old PUSH mower when we were kids... talk about a work out...LOL) even though just walking on flat ground here in Florida !
Old 05-12-2023, 01:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

One thing I discovered recently when I changed from gas mower to battery powered, was how much noisier the battery mower was. High pitch sound.
Nothing you cannot live with, but definitely noisier.
The plus side is that the electric mower is so much lighter than the gas, which was the main reason I changed.
I prefer a push mower, and my trusty old Honda was getting a bit of struggle for my old bones.
Happy mowing!
Old 05-12-2023, 04:26 AM

No matter which way you go, watch the heighth. My battery Worx will not leave the grass high enough even when set to max heighth. Never thought of that before I bought. But everything here runs on batteries. Including the golf cart.
Old 05-12-2023, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Been around the V's long enough to know it can be "dangerous" to ask for advice from someone experienced in a topic, but, here goes: Not keen on battery operated things, drills, saws, trimmers, mowers, etc. etc. but they do have their advantages. That is why we are "considering" replacing our self-propelled gas mower with a self-propelled battery electric. Have looked as many brands now, EZGO "seems" to be the highest rated, but, seems if you select the correct size and battery best suited to the size of the lawn, most brands seem to do the job (1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, etc.) But, before making a decision, would love to hear from our neighbors who already use one, what brand, and are they happy with their selection ? Don't want to be rude, but not looking for suggestions such as: just call some lawn service and have them mow it. Our doctor gave us the best advice for retirement of all we received at the time, and we've never regretted taking it. Said: "when you retire, you want to keep all those bad guys away from you, Hi, Art, Dibe, all of them, so keep doing what you've always done before retirement, and good luck up there in central Florida". We were puzzled of course, not sure what he meant, until, with a slight smile, he said, "high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes and ALL of them". So, we continue to mow our lawn, trim our trees and bushes, and... play some golf...LOL !
I gave up all of my gas powered equipment when I moved here. Two reasons, they were nearing the end of their useful lives and I didn't want to have the smell of stored gas in my garage. (Previously had an exterior shed to store). I bought a line of 40V battery lawn care equipment which I use on the lawns if two houses weekly(twice a week during the prime growing season). On my second set of batteries, the first set died after three years. Since more states are banning gas powered lawn equipment, the cost of replacement batteries has more than doubled. One benefit is the equipment is so quiet, I came do my lawns early morning without the fear of disturbing my neighbors.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Been around the V's long enough to know it can be "dangerous" to ask for advice from someone experienced in a topic, but, here goes: Not keen on battery operated things, drills, saws, trimmers, mowers, etc. etc. but they do have their advantages. That is why we are "considering" replacing our self-propelled gas mower with a self-propelled battery electric. Have looked as many brands now, EZGO "seems" to be the highest rated, but, seems if you select the correct size and battery best suited to the size of the lawn, most brands seem to do the job (1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, etc.) But, before making a decision, would love to hear from our neighbors who already use one, what brand, and are they happy with their selection ? Don't want to be rude, but not looking for suggestions such as: just call some lawn service and have them mow it. Our doctor gave us the best advice for retirement of all we received at the time, and we've never regretted taking it. Said: "when you retire, you want to keep all those bad guys away from you, Hi, Art, Dibe, all of them, so keep doing what you've always done before retirement, and good luck up there in central Florida". We were puzzled of course, not sure what he meant, until, with a slight smile, he said, "high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes and ALL of them". So, we continue to mow our lawn, trim our trees and bushes, and... play some golf...LOL !
I purchased an EZGO a couple months ago. It takes me 30 minutes to mow my lawn. While it’s self-propelled, be prepared for a rigorous workout. Thick grass and the need to disengage the self-propelled feature makes it challenging at times. If you know someone who has an EZGO, I suggest you try it out before buying.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:42 AM
Default Consumer Reports link to some recent info

Can't contribute any actual experience, but as VT previously suggested, Consumer Reports did just do a review of gas self-propelled and battery self-propelled mowers in the May/June 2023 issue.
Here's a link to what they put online.
Best and Worst Battery Lawn Mowers - Consumer Reports
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, battery, advice, acre, mow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.