Living dangerously ?

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2023, 07:00 AM

I have and would recommend EGO equipment. I use the 21" select cut self propelled mower w/ 7.5AH battery and it handles my 8400 sq.ft St. Augustine grass with no issues. It mows the lawn with more than 60% battery left. EGO is well known for there top rated battery technology. I also use the EGO string trimmer and blower. The batteries are all interchangeable. I have used other brands (Dewalt, Makita, Craftsman, Porter Cable etc.) in the past but none outperform the EGO platform. They are a little higher priced than some other brands but for my money they work.
Good Luck!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:04 AM

We bought the EGO mower and love it. It was around $600 at Lowes. I can mow our typical TV lawn 4-5 times before needing to recharge the battery. It’s self propelled with adjusted speeds, mulches the grass with two blades, and is very quiet. It folds up and stores sitting upright on the back two wheels so takes little floor space. I would have nothing else. I’m spoiled now.

I also have EGO string trimmer, leaf blower, and blade edger with all interchangeable battery. Love them too.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Been around the V's long enough to know it can be "dangerous" to ask for advice from someone experienced in a topic, but, here goes: Not keen on battery operated things, drills, saws, trimmers, mowers, etc. etc. but they do have their advantages. That is why we are "considering" replacing our self-propelled gas mower with a self-propelled battery electric. Have looked as many brands now, EZGO "seems" to be the highest rated, but, seems if you select the correct size and battery best suited to the size of the lawn, most brands seem to do the job (1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, etc.) But, before making a decision, would love to hear from our neighbors who already use one, what brand, and are they happy with their selection ? Don't want to be rude, but not looking for suggestions such as: just call some lawn service and have them mow it. Our doctor gave us the best advice for retirement of all we received at the time, and we've never regretted taking it. Said: "when you retire, you want to keep all those bad guys away from you, Hi, Art, Dibe, all of them, so keep doing what you've always done before retirement, and good luck up there in central Florida". We were puzzled of course, not sure what he meant, until, with a slight smile, he said, "high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes and ALL of them". So, we continue to mow our lawn, trim our trees and bushes, and... play some golf...LOL !
EZgo lithium battery GOLF CARTS are highly rated, but Consumer Reports doesn’t mention them making lawn mowers. Below are the nine top battery-powered MOWERS from Consumer Reports. The first one comes with two batteries and a 75 minute run time good for an acre or more. These companies make lots of other models with lower ratings. If you want the top models, type in the numbers. Amazon probably carries them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3461.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	98360  
Old 05-12-2023, 08:10 AM

I have EGO yard tools. I also still have a gas mower. The battery operated mower is so easy to use that I haven't used the gas mower at all this year.
Get a self propelled mower with a grass catcher. Get a weed wacker and a blower. Buy refurbished tools with their added in battery. I have three chargers and three batteries available all the time. I plug in a dead battery every time I take a charged battery. I never have to wait while batteries are charging. The 7.5 large battery is great for the mower but the smaller 2.5 batteries are lighter and easier to use in the other tools. All EGO batteries are interchangeable in all tools.
Look at Ebay for refurbished tools. I've never had a problem buying there. I've had corded yard tools in the past and I've gotten too frustrated using cumbersome cords. Life is too short to deny yourself spending a little more to get the better tool. If you want to really treat yourself go all the way and get an edger and a hedge trimmer.
If your still undecided, come to my house. I'll let you cut my grass and trim my bushes using my EGO yard tools.

Last edited by FredTheHead; 05-12-2023 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Old 05-12-2023, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Super thanks for an honest reply, really appreciate ! We have been looking at some brands and models that come with 2 batteries, most of those seemed to give the customer a break money wise, from buying the mower and battery, and THEN finding they need a second $69 to $129 battery. So had been thinking of buying one of the deals that come with two ! Again, thank you for sharing... just so reluctant about "battery" powered anything ! If you happen to remember, would be interested in what brand he went with... especially since he's had it more than two WEEKS....LOL !
How long does it take to mow the lawn? Look for run time on your battery. My son-in-law bought a 21 inch electric mower, and he finishes his quarter acre lot in about an hour with battery to spare. He is embarking upon his third season with the same machine and battery.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

I have used cordless lawnmowers since 2000. I went with the best lawnmower and that’s the EGO self powered. It isn’t cheap but you get what you pay for. I mow our lawn multiple times on 1 charge. I don’t take the battery out of the lawnmower each time after I mow.
All of my lawn tools (edger, blower, trimmer, weed eater) are all battery powered and have been for years.
Old 05-12-2023, 09:47 AM

I have Greenworks for edger, trimmer, blower and mower. All 60 volt and purchased each complete with a battery and charger. I have plenty of batteries now. I like many features of my mower such as bright lights and 2 batteries that automaticlly switch between them. It cuts great and the self propelled system works great. You might consider self propelled because the grass down here is so thick that pushing up ANY incline in 95 degree humid weather is tough. I would go with EGO as first choice and Greenworks as second.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Been around the V's long enough to know it can be "dangerous" to ask for advice from someone experienced in a topic, but, here goes: Not keen on battery operated things, drills, saws, trimmers, mowers, etc. etc. but they do have their advantages. That is why we are "considering" replacing our self-propelled gas mower with a self-propelled battery electric. Have looked as many brands now, EZGO "seems" to be the highest rated, but, seems if you select the correct size and battery best suited to the size of the lawn, most brands seem to do the job (1/4 acre, 1/2 acre, etc.) But, before making a decision, would love to hear from our neighbors who already use one, what brand, and are they happy with their selection ? Don't want to be rude, but not looking for suggestions such as: just call some lawn service and have them mow it. Our doctor gave us the best advice for retirement of all we received at the time, and we've never regretted taking it. Said: "when you retire, you want to keep all those bad guys away from you, Hi, Art, Dibe, all of them, so keep doing what you've always done before retirement, and good luck up there in central Florida". We were puzzled of course, not sure what he meant, until, with a slight smile, he said, "high blood pressure, arthritis, diabetes and ALL of them". So, we continue to mow our lawn, trim our trees and bushes, and... play some golf...LOL !
I regularly wonder why some expect others to make their decisions. First question is how big is your lawn? Next question is is your gas mower working properly? Electric mowers have come a long way. Gone, I hope they are gone, are the ones you plugged in. Batteries
gone are NiCad's, Lithium ion batteries are lighter for the same storage capacity and have dropped in price. Many years ago, high school, I ran a lawn mowing business.
Rather than a brand, I would look at deck shape. I would look for a mower where the wheels a quality- ball bearing and stepped in allowing you to mow close to stuff like bushes. If, a big lawn, you can buy extra batteries. Even if more expensive big batteries weigh more and you are carrying that weight all the time. You can, or should be able to easily change the batteries before you finish mowing. Lithium ion batteries do not exhibit what used to be called memory in NiCad's. The batteries will last far longer if you do not run them all the way down. Back to the mower. Some do better at mulching and others better with a bag. Often the difference is the blade that is installed and it is easy to switch. If, you have stuff like leaves on your lawn, a mower with a collection bag and the right blade, is easy to use to vacuum your lawn.
I've never worn out a mower even when I was doing 14-20 lawns a week as a kid. Things can be repaired and should be properly maintained. My experience with batteries comes from selling expensive rechargeable equipment. I've never owned a rechargeable mower.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Can you PM me with your guys name & phone #? TIA
If you are looking for a person to do your yardwork, you want to ask neighbors. These people tend to work one area to save time money etc running all over the Villages. Unless of course they have a bunch of dissatisfied customers chasing them.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
We, too, take care of our yard work. We live in a patio villa with a small grassy area in front, but are fortunate to have a little larger back yard. Our mower is a Ryobi, as are the weed whacker, hedge trimmer, and blower. We can mow all our grass 3 times on one charge. Hope this helps.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:28 PM

I have Ryobi 40 V electric lawnmower which has performed very well. It is a 21" model and the blade is a full 21". The two things I would consider are 1) having at least two batteries and 2) what other lawn equipment do you want to use. Having one type of battery and battery charger for all of your lawn equipment makes life much easier.

One other advantage to the electric lawnmower is that I store my mower upright against the wall on the back wheels (not flat on the ground). Given the lack of storage in our homes, this is a nice space saving feature.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-12-2023, 04:50 PM

We have a Kobalt. It works great and we have a trimmer and blower that use the same batteries
Old 05-12-2023, 11:32 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbot View Post
I bought the Ego 56V self-propelled mower, trimmer, and blower about 15 months ago. The equipment is more than capable of keeping up with a large lot on a single charge. Each piece of equipment came with its own charger. The batteries charge quickly and maintain full power until discharged. I bought the equipment at Lowes and it was a little pricey, but I don't have to buy or store gas and the mower folds up for storage, which is a plus for me. The mower has a lot of plastic parts, but no durability issues so far.
Thank you, that is the model we were looking at, also the Makita, but want to get input on any brand, especially from those who have had theirs for a year or more.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:47 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
One thing I discovered recently when I changed from gas mower to battery powered, was how much noisier the battery mower was. High pitch sound.
Nothing you cannot live with, but definitely noisier.
The plus side is that the electric mower is so much lighter than the gas, which was the main reason I changed.
I prefer a push mower, and my trusty old Honda was getting a bit of struggle for my old bones.
Happy mowing!
What brand and model did you buy ? Wondering if the self-propelled models we've been looking at, with their greater power, are as loud as gas mowers ?
Old 05-12-2023, 11:54 PM
Platinum member

one p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
I gave up all of my gas powered equipment when I moved here. Two reasons, they were nearing the end of their useful lives and I didn't want to have the smell of stored gas in my garage. (Previously had an exterior shed to store). I bought a line of 40V battery lawn care equipment which I use on the lawns if two houses weekly(twice a week during the prime growing season). On my second set of batteries, the first set died after three years. Since more states are banning gas powered lawn equipment, the cost of replacement batteries has more than doubled. One benefit is the equipment is so quiet, I came do my lawns early morning without the fear of disturbing my neighbors.
What brand so you have ? Self-propelled ? One person commented their WORX still cuts the grass too short/low for Florida, even on the highest setting.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, battery, advice, acre, mow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.