living next to a rec center?

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 03:42 PM

FWIW .... I am about 1/4 mile from one pickleball court and about 1/2 mile from another one and I can hear both clearly in the morning ... neither is annoying ... YMMV
Old 09-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage

It's amazing what you get used to. When we first moved into Buttonwood the trains in Wildwood sounded like they were in my back yard to me. Now I hardly notice them. Trains come and go but pickle ball goes on and on and has that plinking sound. If you have a choice I'd pick another lot just to be on the safe side, but it may not be much of a bother to you.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks

The lot we have backs to the side of the building with the pool & pickleball being on the far side of Rec ctr. TV plants bushes bet our house and the building, giving us some privacy. We visited a few rec ctr today but it was after 11am and no one was playing. Will go out again about 7:30 am and check out the noise. We also rented in 2009 and could hear the pickeball about 1/4 mile away, but it seemed muted. The problem is that TV only has 6 lots that our house can go on and they are all next to the Rec ctr. We have no idea what will be available when the next lots are released. TV is very very restrictive on what type homes can go on lots. There is another lot that is large enough but they only allow "inside" golf gart garages on those lots.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Gold member

Based on where the pickleball courts are relative to your lot, with the rec center being between you acting as a sound barrier, it sounds like what our situation is. I can tell you that neither we nor any of our neighbors ever complain about pickleball noise and really don't ever even notice it. On the contrary we all love the convenience of being able to walk to the pool - especially when the grandkids visit and they invaribly "forget" to bring something with them to the pool or want to run back and get a snack or use the bathroom. It's also a blessing not having someone else's lanai 20 feet from where you are sitting on your lanai.

However, if you are concerned about it and since it sounds like you won't be building for awhile, perhaps you can just monitor the lots as new ones are opened up and see if anything appeals to you more.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Sage

If you pass on this one, don't worry that you'll not find another lot. TV has thousands of lots left and you'll find the lot and location you want. The developer's marketing strategy is to close out one section before releasing another but there will be desirable lots coming out month by month.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:43 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Bogie View Post
After the early morning pickelball hours visit we made the decision to pass on the home.

It really is a personal preference. If you are second guessing your lot choice, this may be an indicator.
Nan
I totally agree. Go with your first instinct--it's usually right. Would hate to lose the money but better than having to move later on. Good luck!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
We just put a non refundable $2500 deposit on a lot next to Sanibel Rec ctr./:
I didn't realize you could "move" your choice of lot after you put down your deposit. That's good to know, because I am having second thoughts on where the lot is that we have put down a deposit. We are building either a Holly or a Zinnia and we need a golf cart garage, and our rep. said there aren't very many lots wide enough for the the 2 car plus golf cart garage.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Update

After your suggestions, we visited 4 Rec ctr while pickleball was being played and stood about where our lot would be. We were amazed how quiet it was. We also talked to 2 couples who have similar lots next to Rec ctr. They said it is no problem. The pickleball noise seemed to be worse about a block away from the Rec ctr. So we took the plunge. Wrote the check. House will be done on Dec 7th. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 AM
Veteran member

Congrats on your decision, which considering all the work you put into it, seems like the right one for you.

Enjoy.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
After your suggestions, we visited 4 Rec ctr while pickleball was being played and stood about where our lot would be. We were amazed how quiet it was. We also talked to 2 couples who have similar lots next to Rec ctr. They said it is no problem. The pickleball noise seemed to be worse about a block away from the Rec ctr. So we took the plunge. Wrote the check. House will be done on Dec 7th. Thanks for your input.
I am very happy for you!! I want to say again that we loved our home in Hadley. We decided to build a little bigger one for the three of us for our year 'round one or we wouldn't have ever moved.

We left behind the dearest neighbors, including the folks we sold to.

But we are still here in Lower Paradise and so are they, just a golf cart ride away!!
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
My prediction: after you move in and start taking advantage of close proximity to the rec center that you will wonder why you ever questioned your choice. Good luck and enjoy yor new home.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
2 Oldcrabs -- Congratulations and best of luck in your home building. Enjoy your new home and the proximity to the rec center.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Woo-hoo!! That's fantastic. Good luck... and the best is yet to come!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
I just love it when things get resolved. Congrats on your new home.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.