Long Term Car Rental

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2022, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bern916 View Post
Seriously?! What a disrespectful reply! I'm sure OP has done an internet search but is interested in the opinions of those from this group - maybe someone has done something similar. I, for one, am glad OP asked the question - and I'm interested in the responses.
Thank you for saying that. Getting the community thoughts, knowledge and opinion is what many want - not sarcasm or to be belittled
Old 07-09-2022, 08:31 AM

Insurance companies are really weird about “renting out” your personal vehicle. They told me that they wouldn’t cover any liability because it’s a commercial transaction and voids the coverage. The renter won’t be able to get coverage either because they won’t sell the same policy that they use when renting from a commercial rental car company. At least that is what the insurance agent told me when I tried to rent a car from an individual. Makes it really tough for a person to rent a car from another person.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:08 PM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

My mother in law did that. Shipped her vehicle from Arizona to the Villages for $1,100. There was one problem. A Tesla was behind her car that wasn’t charged. So after that got to the villages, they couldn’t get her car off the trailer. Some say the trailers are too big to go into various areas, but my niece didn’t have any issues.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
I traveled that way ONCE....it was far too many times! Cramped space...uncomfortable bunk beds....School cafeteria quality food. NOPE!
Yes, the bunk beds are awful. But the larger rooms are much nicer. Some even have their own bathroom...

-Tom Petty
Old 07-12-2022, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTAP15 View Post
Rather than driving down to my house in The Villages, I am planning on flying and will be staying thru mid November. Does anyone know of a company (not the big name ones) that rents cars long term for a reasonable price?
Perhaps, thinking out of the box. Not the big ones? Reasonable? I assume that means CHEAP.
You can possibly buy from one of those on line sellers that deliver to you and then sell the car back to them. Insurance? Assuming you own a car, your insurance company may be able to help you.
Old 07-12-2022, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Perhaps, thinking out of the box. Not the big ones? Reasonable? I assume that means CHEAP.
You can possibly buy from one of those on line sellers that deliver to you and then sell the car back to them. Insurance? Assuming you own a car, your insurance company may be able to help you.
If you operate a car in Florida for more than 90 days, you need a Florida insurance policy. I doubt that an out-of-state insurance company could provide coverage in Florida, even if they wanted to, especially on a car that is registered and operated in Florida..
Old 07-12-2022, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
cost is about $500 to ship a vehicle from New York to Florida one way
$500? That must be an old quote. I just got one quote to ship a car from Mass to the Villages and it was $1260. The cheapest I could find was $950. If I do want to bring the extra car I'll fly back north and drive it down and save myself $600.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, term, mid, november, company

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.