Displaying the American Flag or bunting

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 AM
Sage
Default Displaying the American Flag or bunting

We were just wondering if vintage buntings are allowed to be hung or if American flags are allowed to be displayed on a flag pole leading up to Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, etc. or Veterans Day?????

We have our American flag flying all spring, summer and fall on our front porch in Vermont..........just hung the three "vintage buntings" prior to the Memorial Day weekend.......

I do understand that lawn ornaments, etc. are not allowed.....but what about flags and such???

Thanks in advance. Just wondering if we should bring our vintage buntings when we relocate. I guess we could always hang them on our own lanai, correct? In other words, no one would see them but us. They are popular in small New England towns and often seen on front porch railings or draped from the top of the front porch overhang.........like a flag but semi circle shape.......vintage looking Americana.

BELOW IS A PICTURE FROM CATALOGUE "PLOW AND HEARTH".....we do not have the long hanging ones.
Only the semi circle middle one.....the largest vintage bunting is in the middle of our front porch with two smaller ones on each side..........not as depicted in this picture at all. Just wanted to find a photo of a bunting.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-27-2013, 06:21 AM

Yes to both questions. There are many, many flag poles with the America flag flying full time in the villages. Buntings are allowed on front porches during holidays. My street has placed small American flags on the tree lawn in front of every house.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Yes, flags and bunting everywhere. Small flags along many, many streets.

All Holidays are celebrated in The Villages.

Sorry for such a short response...................
Old 05-27-2013, 06:24 AM
Sage

There are some variations in the covenants from district to district, but I believe south of 466, they all say that holiday decorations may be displayed for 30 days. Other than that, I don't see any restriction.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applepie View Post
Yes to both questions. There are many, many flag poles with the America flag flying full time in the villages. Buntings are allowed on front porches during holidays. My street has placed small American flags on the tree lawn in front of every house.
Thank you so much. Good to know. I just added a link to Plow and Hearth Catalogue, showing some buntings......we just have the large middle one with two smaller side buntings hanging from the roof of the front porch.
I've always admired them and finally bought some last year as a gift for my husband on Father's Day..........we did read something about how they are traditionally hung only on specific holidays. He just put them up a few days ago and will take them down tomorrow..........but our pole flag remains all summer and autumn.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Thank you so much. Good to know. I just added a link to Plow and Hearth Catalogue, showing some buntings......we just have the large middle one with two smaller side buntings hanging from the roof of the front porch.
I've always admired them and finally bought some last year as a gift for my husband on Father's Day..........we did read something about how they are traditionally hung only on specific holidays. He just put them up a few days ago and will take them down tomorrow..........but our pole flag remains all summer and autumn.
Can be done in TV.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Every home I have ever had built or lived in had a flag pole and lighting installed the day of moving in.

I cannot imagine living anywhere that would not allow flying the US flag 24/7!!!!!

btk
Old 05-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

During my just completed visit to TV, I went to several open houses. Some villagers had many small flags in the grass outside of their homes. It looked so nice.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:35 PM
Platinum member

And, should you be a Marine, I believe there must be an unstated requirement somewhere that says "You will have a flagpole, and you will fly the Marine Corps flag below Old Glory!"

A good crowd today at the annual celebration at The Villages Veterans Memorial Park; hope you were there, too!

SWR
Old 05-27-2013, 11:49 PM
KittyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
There are some variations in the covenants from district to district, but I believe south of 466, they all say that holiday decorations may be displayed for 30 days. Other than that, I don't see any restriction.
I believe it's "Christmas" decorations that are allowed for 30 days. Saw a house on a corner lot on Odell in Hemingway that had about 5 different decorations in their yard over a week ago. The first time I drove by I thought "what in the world? How tacky!" Then the next time saw that it was red, white & blue decorations. OK, but shouldn't be out that early; just the Memorial Day weekend.

To the OP: by all means bring your bunting & your flags..
Old 05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
I believe it's "Christmas" decorations that are allowed for 30 days. Saw a house on a corner lot on Odell in Hemingway that had about 5 different decorations in their yard over a week ago. The first time I drove by I thought "what in the world? How tacky!" Then the next time saw that it was red, white & blue decorations. OK, but shouldn't be out that early; just the Memorial Day weekend.

The Declaration of Restrictions states "seasons displays not exceeding 30 days duration". It does not spell out specific holidays.

Village Community Development Districts
Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post

Please never consider American Flags and Memorial decorations "tacky".

You have 30 days for decorations. If you start 15 days early then you have fifteen days before and fifteen days after the event AND then comes Flag day (6/14) so you are good for 30 more das AND then comes Independence Day so you are good for 30 more days so I could have American flags and banners and garage decorations from May 15 until July 15th.

And I do.

Long live the US of A!

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Please never consider American Flags and Memorial decorations "tacky".

You have 30 days for decorations. If you start 15 days early then you have fifteen days before and fifteen days after the event AND then comes Flag day (6/14) so you are good for 30 more das AND then comes Independence Day so you are good for 30 more days so I could have American flags and banners and garage decorations from May 15 until July 15th.

And I do.

Long live the US of A!

Z
I do agree with you but the homeowner has to maintain them. I have passed several homes where small American flags have been stuck in the ground and they have blown over, been next to the lawn mower and are dirty, or just tilted so the flag is drooping on the ground.

Maintain them and it looks good. Otherwise, it is a disrespectful thing to see.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.