Looking for attorney recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Gold member
Default Looking for attorney recommendations

A family friend living here in the Villages is looking for an attorney. Without getting into too much detail she is the victim of an international scam and really needs help.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:55 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

no help avail unless both parties are subject to us laws- difficult at best unless both parties are in same state
Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
A family friend living here in the Villages is looking for an attorney. Without getting into too much detail she is the victim of an international scam and really needs help.
I would call the bar association. They will not as a villager might say I used ------------.
They will give you a list of people who work in this field.

"International scam," unfortunately these things are far too common. Often, you are chasing after a ghost.

If, it involves a credit card, they should contact the credit card company. Crimes against seniors, our sheriffs department may be able to help.

An attorney? What is what should be are different. At about $300 an hour is the loss enough to justify the expense on a limited chance of recovery? With the names of attys
you can call. They will review what is going on at no cost and advise you.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Contact Seniors against crime, they may be able to help, I tend to agree if these are international probably a lawyer will not be helpful. Also, file a police report, and if the claim (or problem) is big enough, contact the FBI. You need law enforcement, IMHO.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:14 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

As long as the elderly think they can handle their own affairs when they can not then you will have people who will prey upon their inability to make sound judgements. Good luck getting someones $$$ back. Not likely. Better off if they stop answering the emails and clicking on links on the internet. And unless a phone call is from someone they know they should ignore it. Is it likely to work? Nope...elderly people who can not keep up with the advances in cyber problems will always be a target until someone steps in and takes control for them. A lawyer can litigate...that doesn't make them a cyber professional.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Don't think there's much she can do. Unfortunately
Old 06-09-2021, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
As long as the elderly think they can handle their own affairs when they can not then you will have people who will prey upon their inability to make sound judgements. Good luck getting someones $$$ back. Not likely. Better off if they stop answering the emails and clicking on links on the internet. And unless a phone call is from someone they know they should ignore it. Is it likely to work? Nope...elderly people who can not keep up with the advances in cyber problems will always be a target until someone steps in and takes control for them. A lawyer can litigate...that doesn't make them a cyber professional.
Sadly, it is not just the elderly. There is no shortage of scams out there. Some are obvious some are not. I fell for one. The company name was US......... it was listed as FREE. I stupidly gave them my credit card only way to get into their presentation.
I assumed GOVERNMENT, FREE, it was for postage. At the end of the worthless presentation they then only then showed a phone number and they billed me around $100. A call the next day and it is a boiler room. They offer to credit me back half.
I disputed the charge with my credit card company. I got a full refund. Aside, disputing a charge with your credit card, they will not refuse to pay, they will only delay payment.

I would never fall for that. I thought so too but I did. Yes, I did win but it cost me time and effort. Many would not bother.

Years ago they caught a guy who had made a fortune, sending small bills to major companies and they would pay figuring it cost too much to investigate if they owed the money.
Closed Thread

Tags
attorney, scam, international, victim, detail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.