Looking for a bank

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Any? Not any more...

I saw one on Hillsborough, but there are none farther south that I've found...
I think that Citizens First Bank customers can use the Presto ATMs for free. They are located at all 10 of the Publix stores, including Lake Deaton Plaza and Magnolia Plaza.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
TIAA Bank CD rates are not good. For example, the 2-year rate is 4.1 percent. You can buy FDIC insured 2-year CDs that pay 4.9 percent from any discount broker. I would stay away from banks for CDs.
Better still is to buy ibonds and t-bills direct from the US government at Home — TreasuryDirect. Current 6 month t-bills around 4%, ibonds ($10,000 per year limit, but can go to $20,000 with spouse) was around 9%, think it just reset to 6%. No fees.

Plenty of good articles on this (I like the WSJ) if you google it.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
I think that Citizens First Bank customers can use the Presto ATMs for free. They are located at all 10 of the Publix stores, including Lake Deaton Plaza and Magnolia Plaza.
Yes Citizens First can use the Presto ATM's for free. I've done that many times.
Old 11-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Not what I was talking about, but good to know...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-23-2022, 08:54 AM

I got with Mid Florida credit union. Got a nice $200 bonus for setting up a direct deposit.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
not to start an argument here, but i was VERY upset the way boa treated me when 2 of the accounts were 'hacked' by a fraudulent zelle transaction. the people working @ the bank were very caring & understanding, but the overall experience with the managing of the accounts was awful. 1st thing they told me was it's very common for zelle to 'hacked' for lack of better word. it's also common to expect a 50/50 chance of getting our money back after any disputes. they told me i was compromised by a gasoline pump scanner: the info of the card in question was used to get access to the accounts. despite my many inquiries, the only help i REALLY got was from the wildwood police, who told me i need to give their fraud team the full 45 days to investigate, then come back to them if funds are not replenished. here's the catch-boa absolves themselves by stating zelle is a 3rd party app., & not responsible. so i find out who owns zelle, & it's BOA, Wells fargo, Truist, Capital One, JPMorgan Chase, PNC Bank, U.S. Bank. something fishy here, so now i'm curious to know if anyone else here has gone thru the same thing?? Citizen's handles fraud by scanning transactions, & if an 'odd' charge shows up, they shut the entire acct down until a new card is issued. when all is said & done, i'm sticking with citizens
It IS very common for your money to be stolen via Zelle. No one is hacking you. "Hack" is the wrong term for it. But yes that's a very common thing. Zelle, Venmo - any time you transfer money directly from your account to another individual person's account is risky. Every single time. That's why senior advocates warn people not to do it. When you transfer money directly, you are withdrawing it from your account and depositing it into someone else's account. Your money is gone. And every time you do it, you are giving everyone standing near you the opportunity to retrieve that information and grab a few bucks for themselves at your expense. If you do it over the phone, you're running the risk of the data being intercepted along the way. If you do it via the internet, you run the same risk.

If you want to ensure that your money doesn't end up in the wrong persons' pockets, stop using those services and be more protective of your bank accounts. You can use the tap feature in most gas stations these days, instead of inserting the card at all. If you have google pay or apple pay, many stations have the technology for you to just hold your phone against the black plate with your NFC switch turned on after you've used your thumbprint or facial recognition program to open the app.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromCT View Post
We will be moving to TV early next year and I would like to get some thing set up ahead of time. It would be nice to have our bank picked out if possible before we get there.

Any recommendations? We will be living near Spanish Springs in the Santo Domingo neighborhood. We want online banking, a way to get cash easily and close by. No fees on a checking and savings account. Just the basics.
Developer-owned Citizens First has on-line banking, numerous branches, and ATM machines at the postal stations and so is a convenient choice for a low-balance checking account. (Plus Citizens First has popcorn machines in its lobbies.: )

However, apparently hoping that residents like popcorn and won't comparison shop, Citizens First pays pathetically low interest on savings accounts and CDs and should NOT be used for those. (E.g., 1.77% apy on an 18-month CD, which is less than 1/2 what you can get elsewhere.) For such accounts, check the internet for banks paying the highest rates on FDIC-insured accounts, and put your money there.

Last edited by ScottFenstermaker; 11-27-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Better still is to buy ibonds and t-bills direct from the US government at Home — TreasuryDirect. Current 6 month t-bills around 4%, ibonds ($10,000 per year limit, but can go to $20,000 with spouse) was around 9%, think it just reset to 6%. No fees.

Plenty of good articles on this (I like the WSJ) if you google it.
Actually, the I Bond rate is now 6.89%, BUT ONLY FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS. Annually: You can buy $10,000 in your name, $10,000 in your spouse's name, AND if you each have a trust, $10,000 for each trust. Plus, you do not have to pay tax on the interest until you redeem it. But research redemption restrictions (and the ability to defer tax on the interest) and understand what you are buying.
Old 11-27-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingfromCT View Post
We will be moving to TV early next year and I would like to get some thing set up ahead of time. It would be nice to have our bank picked out if possible before we get there.

Any recommendations? We will be living near Spanish Springs in the Santo Domingo neighborhood. We want online banking, a way to get cash easily and close by. No fees on a checking and savings account. Just the basics.
discover.com
Closed Thread

Tags
bank, online, neighborhood, domingo, springs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.