Looking for beginner golf clubs

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2023, 07:33 AM

You mentioned the lessons. Thats the most important item to take care of if you want to have fun with this otherwise frustrating game. If you can avoid hitting balls until you get some lessons it will rduce the frustration and enhance your enjoyment. No I am not a golf trainer, but know its the best way to start.
Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:39 AM
Default get fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrat2 View Post
Hi, my wife and i have never played golf before and are looking for beginner clubs. We promise not to slow anyone up when we finally get out there after some lessons! Weve already been advised by a good friend that a good golfer knows when to pick up and move along! Thanks in advance
you will be off in the right direction if you both get fitted for your first set of clubs.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

At the bare minimum learn some basic golf etiquette, nobody cares if you suck at golf but they will care if you practice bad etiquette.

Everyone is so quick to take lessons but never learns any etiquette.

It's like driving a car and not knowing what side of the road we drive on.

You can always tell who is new to golf not by their swing but by their etiquette.

Amazing they make you take classes for pickleball but not golf.

Here is 3 simple ones.

1. If you think there is a possibility your ball may hit someone yell “FORE” You’re responsible for where your ball goes.

2. Shut Up! when someone is hitting or putting. Yes it's a social game but be mindful of your surroundings and playing partners, you’re not the only one out there.

3. Fix your ball marks on the green, if you can’t find it don't worry but at least try.

There are many others but those 3 are a good start.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 05-13-2023, 07:40 AM
Thumbs up I have a set of Titleist AP2 clubs for sale. $175.000

Old 05-13-2023, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

OP, if you are shopping for used clubs, note that the newer sets only have a few irons, 7, 8, 9, and wedge, plus 3 or 4 hybrid clubs. If the used set has a 3, 4, 5, and 6 iron, I would question how old the clubs are. I think this has become a trend because most average golfers can hit better shots with the hybrids.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Golf clubs

Quote:
Hi, my wife and i have never played golf before and are looking for beginner clubs. We promise not to slow anyone up when we finally get out there after some lessons! Weve already been advised by a good friend that a good golfer knows when to pick up and move along! Thanks in advance
Rather than buy some old mis matched clubs, you might be better off to go to WalMart or a sporting goods store. You can get a whole set with a bag for less than $200. You can use them for quite a while, when you feel the need and build your skills you can invest in a nice set of clubs. Otherwise, you should subscribe to estatesales.net and watch the sales. There are clubs on there any day of the week. You really should get them fitted for your use.
Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32
Old 05-13-2023, 09:03 AM
Default Get a grip on your grip

Quote:
Nothing at all wrong with used clubs. Just be sure that the grips are in good shape. You cannot play with slippery grips. This is very important, you cannot learn to play with slippery grips. All you end up doing is an instilling bad swing to compensate for slippery grips.
Old 05-13-2023, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
It's really important that you get clubs that are the correct length, and shaft flex for your size/strength. It can be very difficult for a beginner to get the ball up into the air if the shaft of the club is too stiff.
Agree and most of us(over 55) should look at senior clubs/graphite and regular shafted(not stiff)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
At the bare minimum learn some basic golf etiquette, nobody cares if you suck at golf but they will care if you practice bad etiquette.

Everyone is so quick to take lessons but never learns any etiquette.

It's like driving a car and not knowing what side of the road we drive on.

You can always tell who is new to golf not by their swing but by their etiquette.

Amazing they make you take classes for pickleball but not golf.

Here is 3 simple ones.

1. If you think there is a possibility your ball may hit someone yell “FORE” You’re responsible for where your ball goes.

2. Shut Up! when someone is hitting or putting. Yes it's a social game but be mindful of your surroundings and playing partners, you’re not the only one out there.

3. Fix your ball marks on the green, if you can’t find it don't worry but at least try.

There are many others but those 3 are a good start.

Good luck and enjoy!
Good thoughts, but how many new, probably elder players hit a ball so high that they create a ball mark?
Old 05-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Good thoughts, but how many new, probably elder players hit a ball so high that they create a ball mark?
Very educational thread for a new golfer.

I was a horrible golfer before buying a set of hybrids.

Now I'm just a terrible golfer who gets more loft :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
good, beginner, golf, clubs, advised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.