Looking for info on protecting bluebird nesting box

Old 05-10-2024, 02:38 PM
Default Looking for info on protecting bluebird nesting box

About 3 days before the chicks were ready to leave the nest something pulled them out of the nest, killed them, but did not eat them. Some have told me that it must have been other birds that did this. I believe this is true, but would like some info on how to protect the nesting box since there are many types of aggressive birds in my neighborhood. I am very upset about this because I never even knew that bluebirds were songbirds until the mother sang me the most beautiful song I ever heard a bird sing. After the slaughter she came back and sat on the light post across the street for 2 days. I only saw the father briefly one time after the tragedy. I am thinking that maybe I should take down the nesting box (which it just a birdhouse), since I don't know what I am doing and do not care to be an accessory to any more murders of such wonderful creatures. But then I think about how much I would like to help them expand their population.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:18 PM

It’s always best to leave nature to take care of things, don’t interfere. Take down the bird houses and don’t feed the birds.

Feeding birds attracts them to one spot and they become prey to the birds that feed on them. In addition, mass gathering of birds increases the spread of diseases from one bird to another. Avian Flu. Don’t worry, the birds won’t go hungry or be at a loss for shelter. They will actually do better without us.

I do feel your pain on the loss of your little feathery friends.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

Magpies have taken two nests in my garden here in the UK this year.
A blackbirds eggs were taken, and young eaten from a Finch's nest.
I know where the Magpie nests, and it is hard not to drive them off, but I won't.
Every year, half the fledglings seem to make it, but a lot do not.
Nature is as wonderful, as it is cruel.
Old 05-10-2024, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,697 Times in 640 Posts

We have a bluebird box but the sparrows have taken it over.

A couple years ago, the sparrows were killed and we figured a black snake climbed the pole and got into the birdhouse. Since then we have put a lot of grease around the pole and the sparrows have been safe.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Sorry to hear about the death of your bluebird offspring. You can buy various guards that extend the opening or have exposed ends of chicken wire over the opening. This keeps the baby bluebirds safe from raccoons, cats, squirrels , etc. I don’t know about snakes. (The exposed chicken wire ends would do a number on the them, though.) if it was other birds the guards might not help. Check some of the bird house suppliers. For example, Duncraft out of New Hampshire has a number of bluebird houses with different types of guards.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,464 Posts

My guess would be a snake also.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:50 PM
Veteran member

If it was a bird who killed the bluebird offspring it was probably a house sparrow. There are some ideas on discouraging them, such as cleaning out the birdhouse if they have built a nest after evicting the bluebirds and then move the nesting box to another location. Since these sparrows are not native birds they are not protected, bluebirds are protected. If you have a bird feeder nearby stop using it or relocate it farther away as seed feeders attract house sparrows. You can also purchase wider, slit opening bluebird houses that deter the sparrows who prefer a round hole. You may need a wire mesh guard over the wider opening as animals may have increased access to the babies. If no house sparrow builds a nest after this calamity maybe it was another creature. Usually a house sparrow throws out the bluebirds to build its own nest. Good luck! Keep trying.
Old 05-11-2024, 05:52 AM
Default Bluebird nest

My first guess is the bird house hole might be too large. Bluebirds need a specific type of house. As a modification I have seen wire cages built in front of the access that allows bluebirds in but larger birds out. Sorry for your loss!

QUOTE=Lillyangel;2330273]About 3 days before the chicks were ready to leave the nest something pulled them out of the nest, killed them, but did not eat them. Some have told me that it must have been other birds that did this. I believe this is true, but would like some info on how to protect the nesting box since there are many types of aggressive birds in my neighborhood. I am very upset about this because I never even knew that bluebirds were songbirds until the mother sang me the most beautiful song I ever heard a bird sing. After the slaughter she came back and sat on the light post across the street for 2 days. I only saw the father briefly one time after the tragedy. I am thinking that maybe I should take down the nesting box (which it just a birdhouse), since I don't know what I am doing and do not care to be an accessory to any more murders of such wonderful creatures. But then I think about how much I would like to help them expand their population.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-11-2024, 07:05 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,887 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherkugawa View Post
My first guess is the bird house hole might be too large. Bluebirds need a specific type of house. As a modification I have seen wire cages built in front of the access that allows bluebirds in but larger birds out. Sorry for your loss!

QUOTE=Lillyangel;2330273]About 3 days before the chicks were ready to leave the nest something pulled them out of the nest, killed them, but did not eat them. Some have told me that it must have been other birds that did this. I believe this is true, but would like some info on how to protect the nesting box since there are many types of aggressive birds in my neighborhood. I am very upset about this because I never even knew that bluebirds were songbirds until the mother sang me the most beautiful song I ever heard a bird sing. After the slaughter she came back and sat on the light post across the street for 2 days. I only saw the father briefly one time after the tragedy. I am thinking that maybe I should take down the nesting box (which it just a birdhouse), since I don't know what I am doing and do not care to be an accessory to any more murders of such wonderful creatures. But then I think about how much I would like to help them expand their population.
[/QUOTE]

“ For Eastern Bluebirds, you can use a 1½ inch round hole, a 1⅜ x 2¼ inch vertical oval hole, or 1⅛ inch horizontal slot entrance. Western and Mountain Bluebirds prefer a 1 9/16 inch round opening or 1 3/16 inch slot entrance. Where the ranges of the species overlap, use the larger opening.”
Lots of instructions here:
https://www.nabluebirdsociety.org/PD...box%20Recs.pdf
Old 05-11-2024, 07:22 AM

Two mourning dove nests were destroyed in our area. We think it was a crow that’s been arround. Do you think the doves will nest in the same place again.
Old 05-11-2024, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,421 Times in 1,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualcynthia View Post
Two mourning dove nests were destroyed in our area. We think it was a crow that’s been arround. Do you think the doves will nest in the same place again.
Doves are a favorite meal for birds of prey.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Magpies have taken two nests in my garden here in the UK this year.
A blackbirds eggs were taken, and young eaten from a Finch's nest.
I know where the Magpie nests, and it is hard not to drive them off, but I won't.
Every year, half the fledglings seem to make it, but a lot do not.
Nature is as wonderful, as it is cruel.
Wonderfully stated! We live on a lake. 6-7 ducklings born every time we look in the Spring. 3 usually make it a month. Eagle and Osprey know Survival of the Fittest.

#1.Wrens are the only birds that fit into the bluebird house hole.
Can't stop it.

#2 Read about how to install a "Proper" Bluebird house or do not do it... take it down.
For instance, not a wood post, because it's easy for snakes to get those eggs. My husband got us a galvanized post for our house and we did NOT put it up near other trees or shrubs.

It's all a beautiful balance of mother nature. It is not murder.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Wonderfully stated! We live on a lake. 6-7 ducklings born every time we look in the Spring. 3 usually make it a month. Eagle and Osprey know Survival of the Fittest.

#1.Wrens are the only birds that fit into the bluebird house hole.
Can't stop it.

#2 Read about how to install a "Proper" Bluebird house or do not do it... take it down.
For instance, not a wood post, because it's easy for snakes to get those eggs. My husband got us a galvanized post for our house and we did NOT put it up near other trees or shrubs.

It's all a beautiful balance of mother nature. It is not murder.
When I used to fly fish, I saw large Pike take ducklings from off the water.
It's a hard life for young birds and animals everwhere.
They have every right to be paranoid, that something is out to get them!
Old 05-11-2024, 09:37 AM

I had the same problem with house sparrows and I tried all the remedies found on the internet—- nothing worked. A friend of a friend researched the problem and built a blue bird house with a hole covered with plexiglass on the top of the house. Blue birds like the sun light coming in but sparrows don’t. Problem solved. Had blue bird babies and they all lived and flew away. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:49 AM

I agree. I watched how many of the flying birds and bats were getting a heat stroked and put out a birdbath. On the first day peering out the blinds, I watched in horror a hawk swoop down, grab, and devour a little bird which moved and chirped during the entire ordeal. I went out and pulled the birdbath out of the ground and tossed it. I see neighbors 2 down with an active bird feeder and the hawks waiting on the roof for their next meal. You really cant tell folks about the bird feeders, its too sensitive. I admire the woman asking about this.

Tags
box, nesting, birds, info, days

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.