9x9 Concrete Slab is any approval needed

Old 02-18-2024, 09:38 AM
Default 9x9 Concrete Slab is any approval needed

Having a 9'x 9' concrete slab poured in front of my house as a porch. Way far away from the street. Will I need any Villages or county approval before I have it poured.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,299 Posts

Yes, Architectural. Approval is required for all exterior modifications unless otherwise noted.

The specifics for your District are available here:

VCDD Community Standards

Application Form:

https://www.districtgov.org/departme...pplication.pdf

Last edited by Altavia; 02-18-2024 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 09:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbud View Post
Having a 9'x 9' concrete slab poured in front of my house as a porch. Way far away from the street. Will I need any Villages or county approval before I have it poured.
The ONLY way to know for sure is to call Community Standards (352-751-3912) and ask. I imagine you are paying a good deal of money for that work and you wouldn't want to pay it again just to tear it back out. Call Community Standards and find out for sure.

(The general answer is yes, you will need approval for ANY changes outside your home)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-18-2024, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,556 Posts

When in doubt...ask. There've been numerous instances of people not asking ahead of time who end up with a pretty expensive tear-out-and-redo after the fact.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,325 Posts

You may also need a building permit, and live water lines are NOT allowed under concrete slabs (Sumter County), we had to have 3 or 4 irrigation lines moved when we installed the birdcage.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,224 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
You may also need a building permit, and live water lines are NOT allowed under concrete slabs (Sumter County), we had to have 3 or 4 irrigation lines moved when we installed the birdcage.
I'd love to know how your home was built, without "live water lines" under your slab ... and how your irrigation system was installed, without crossing a driveway or walkway.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,698 Times in 640 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbud View Post
Before we had a concrete slab poured (smaller than 9'x9') in front of our house, we got ARC approval.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I'd love to know how your home was built, without "live water lines" under your slab ... and how your irrigation system was installed, without crossing a driveway or walkway.
I can only tell you about the permit requirements, and in our case, I think the irrigation line go all the way around the house. I realize the house plumbing is under the house, I am just stating what I found for requirements of NEW concrete pads. A call to the building department may answer your concerns and questions.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I can only tell you about the permit requirements, and in our case, I think the irrigation line go all the way around the house. I realize the house plumbing is under the house, I am just stating what I found for requirements of NEW concrete pads. A call to the building department may answer your concerns and questions.
If a Building Inspector told me I couldn't pour a concrete pad over a water-line, I'd laugh at him and suggest he re-reads his IBC.

I suspect someone misunderstood something, because that defies common sense.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,299 Posts

Quote:
I was required to re-route irrigation lines around a new patio also.

The distribution line for the front yard went around the back of the house rather than under the driveway as you stated.
Old 02-18-2024, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I was required to re-route irrigation lines around a new patio also.

The distribution line for the front yard went around the back of the house rather than under the driveway as you stated.
In 50 years of construction, I've never seen a building inspector balk at an irrigation line running under a slab.

Arguably, a building inspector *could* consider an irrigation line as part of the home plumbing and require a plumber to pull a permit and sign off on the portion that's under the house. If it's a "patio" an not an enclosed room, it usually wouldn't be considered part of the house (no roof).

The proper way to run irrigation under a slab of any type, is typically to run conduit and run the irrigation line through it. Without enclosing it in a length of conduit, I could see them requiring a relieving arch.

Running irrigation pipes under a large concrete pad - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Running Sprinkler Pipe Under A Sidewalk Or Driveway | Sprinkler School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGzFeze8dY

plumbing - Can I route an irrigation main through my basement? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Blocked

https://school.sprinklerwarehouse.co...y-or-sidewalk/
Old 02-18-2024, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
In 50 years of construction, I've never seen a building inspector balk at an irrigation line running under a slab.

Arguably, a building inspector *could* consider an irrigation line as part of the home plumbing and require a plumber to pull a permit and sign off on the portion that's under the house. If it's a "patio" an not an enclosed room, it usually wouldn't be considered part of the house (no roof).

The proper way to run irrigation under a slab of any type, is typically to run conduit and run the irrigation line through it. Without enclosing it in a length of conduit, I could see them requiring a relieving arch.

Running irrigation pipes under a large concrete pad - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Running Sprinkler Pipe Under A Sidewalk Or Driveway | Sprinkler School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSGzFeze8dY

plumbing - Can I route an irrigation main through my basement? - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Blocked

https://school.sprinklerwarehouse.co...y-or-sidewalk/
In Florida?
Old 02-18-2024, 05:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
In Florida?
Florida is on the International Building Code, like most everyone else. Like everyone else, they have a few minor amendments, but not much of significance.

2020 FLORIDA BUILDING CODE, PLUMBING, 7TH EDITION | ICC DIGITAL CODES
Old 02-18-2024, 05:31 PM
Default Referenced Code IBC: Florida Building Code 2020 Chapter 14 on Irrigation is Blank

Quote:
Florida is on the International Building Code, like most everyone else. Like everyone else, they have a few minor amendments, but not much of significance.

2020 FLORIDA BUILDING CODE, PLUMBING, 7TH EDITION | ICC DIGITAL CODES
Brian, whether you agree with Sumter County on irrigation piping or not, they require you to reroute irrigation around patios and birdcages. Tinker , Altavia, and I have had that experience. All three prospective builders for my birdcage made it a point to clarify who would do the re-routing. They wanted a lot of money to do it as an incentive for the owner to get an irrigation guy to do it.
Also, as Altavia mentioned, the irrigation lines do not go under the driveway at my house also.

The code you referenced is blank as to any code for irrigation Chapter 14. So in my estimation, Sumter County can specify what they believe is a correct standard. I have no experience with other counties.

If you add a patio or birdcage etc., I hope you check with your local building officials.
Old 02-18-2024, 05:53 PM
Thanked 1,145 Times in 251 Posts

Why do people ask these type of questions on social media? If you want to know about building codes, home/landscape modifications, laws & ordinances, etc. then you need a valid conclusive answer from the appropriate agency; not hearsay from Tom, Dick, & Harry on the Internet.
The Villages Florida

Tags
poured, slab, concrete, approval, 9x9

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.