Loud exhaust explanation...

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Half a mile = 2640 feet. Sound or noise in this case travels 1,126 feet per second. Noise is traveling at 768 mph and your car is traveling at 70 MPH or 102 feet per second towards the source of the noise and you really think it cannot be heard?

Serious doubts really! They don't mean anything when you have experienced it first hand and know it to be a fact....it's especially bad on the interstates when there is a group of them usually weaving in and out of traffic lanes trying to stay close together .

Time to grow up...and realize what a nuisance and safety hazard it is to others.

And what "safety hazard" would that be?

If I "grow up" like some on here, I am afraid someone might start shoveling dirt over me.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
And what "safety hazard" would that be?

If I "grow up" like some on here, I am afraid someone might start shoveling dirt over me.
"Safety hazard" is the last ditch effort for justification; similar to "it's for the children".
Old 09-09-2015, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Must have a cheap car, because in mine, I hardly notice motorcycle noise until they are coming up near me. Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I enjoy trying to guess at what make bike it is before I see it. Harley has a distinct sound.
Time to get your hearing checked...

Last edited by KeepingItReal; 09-09-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It's a "wow, what a great feel of freedom" almost like flying.
Someone said we should "grow up". Why? I think being told all your life to grow up, is sufficient. Supporting family, raising children, fighting wars is "growing up". If you haven't experienced the "freedom" of riding a bike, you have no right to comment on it. And I am not speaking specifically to you, but generalizing to those that say "loud pipes don't save lives" when I say you don't know what you are talking about. It may not help in front of you, but it has saved me several times when driving WITH traffic.

I think we earned it. Maybe if you cared as much about others as you like to say, then you wouldn't insult some of us with something you don't know anything about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
You're not including the wind noise right outside your window. If you roll your windows down, you will understand what I mean regarding wind noise. At 1/2 mile behind you, with about 90% of the motorcycle exhaust noise aimed in the other direction, the wind noise at your ears will overwhelm any exhaust noise that far away. Now if you had said the motorcycle noise 1/2 mile away from your house while you were outside sleeping in your hammock could be heard, I would not have challenged you.

Last post.... Facts are that those that don't care how much noise they make are going going to say anything and everything to justify what they want to do. It's an all about me and what I have earned and what I deserve attitude that some just cannot get away from. Some consider what their neighbors deserve and what their neighbors have earned over their own indulgences and others really don't care.. They think their entitlements come
first and they will never change. They feel they are the only ones that have ever done anything, fought in any war, or ever raised a family, and therefore are entitled to do whatever they please as long as they can justify it in their own minds which only comes natural to them.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepingItReal View Post
Last post.... Facts are that those that don't care how much noise they make are going going to say anything and everything to justify what they want to do. It's an all about me and what I have earned and what I deserve attitude that some just cannot get away from. Some consider what their neighbors deserve and what their neighbors have earned over their own indulgences and others really don't care.. They think their entitlements come
first and they will never change. They feel they are the only ones that have ever done anything, fought in any war, or ever raised a family, and therefore are entitled to do whatever they please as long as they can justify it in their own minds which only comes natural to them.

Yep, you're right. I have a feeling that anything anyone else does bothers some folks. Some folks are just very unhappy and complain about anything, even if its three seconds of noise. It kind of reminds me of the liberals on the political forum, that believe that if something bothers one person out of the majority, then it should be banned. If you think that I am justifying doing anything I want because I earned it...hmmm...gotta admit, that should give me a bit of leeway, huh? Hate to upset you further, but I am also a former cop. I bet that bothers some folks also.

Point is, some folks ought to find something else to do with what's left of their short lives, instead of worrying about what others are doing. I'm not breaking any law. I also stop at stop signs, which many on here say, don't matter. I am considerate of my neighbors at all times, but won't be bullied.

If you ever see or hear my Harley and it disturbs you, you wave me over and I will personally buy you a beer, and sit and chat with you until you are satisfied that I would never purposely upset you with my actions.
Closed Thread

Tags
loud, villages, exhausts, explanation, exhaust

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.