Lovin' it - where, how??

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,514 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Lovebugs don't infest. They "visit" us and die off in about three weeks. Don't bite, just fly united, and die and make a mess with their little bodies.
This was an actual infestation. They were pooled up in a line in the crack between the front step and the ground. Around an inch thick, and two feet wide. Then off to the side of the same part of the trailer there looked to be a hole or some other opening between the bottom of the structure and the ground, and it was bulging with the creatures. They were swarming all over the entry and every other part of this one section of the structure, but were "normal" (present, but not swarming) around the rest of it. INSIDE the trailer, in the room at the top of that specific set of steps, there were what looked to be hundreds of them dying, or already dead, on the floor, and crawling up the walls.

When we left they were on our clothing and in our hair. It was pretty bizarre.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 AM

Buy on the southside of 441/27. I personally would dread having to drive to and go over that terrible golf cart Bridge every time I want to get to any kind of entertainment or dinner. Just Sayin'. Then back over it to get home. Invest just a little more!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
This was an actual infestation. They were pooled up in a line in the crack between the front step and the ground. Around an inch thick, and two feet wide. Then off to the side of the same part of the trailer there looked to be a hole or some other opening between the bottom of the structure and the ground, and it was bulging with the creatures. They were swarming all over the entry and every other part of this one section of the structure, but were "normal" (present, but not swarming) around the rest of it. INSIDE the trailer, in the room at the top of that specific set of steps, there were what looked to be hundreds of them dying, or already dead, on the floor, and crawling up the walls.

When we left they were on our clothing and in our hair. It was pretty bizarre.
They come 2 times a year, some years many, many critters, other years, few. On my street, some are dealing with lots of the flies, others, none. Over the past couple of days, their numbers are diminishing at my house and probably next week, they’ll be history. They do “pool” in the corners and die. My broom has been busy, sweeping the deceased....lol. Not so many in this picture....hooray! (This picture was taken outdoors, near my front door.) Also, the wee beasties will get inside if they can. Opening the front door can be a challenge....me against the fly.....lol.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	597968E1-C630-4269-9E5B-39421B8D9AFD.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	76651  

Last edited by pooh; 09-26-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
They come 2 times a year, some years many, many critters, other years, few. On my street, some are dealing with lots of the flies, others, none. Over the past couple of days, their numbers are diminishing at my house and probably next week, they’ll be history. They do “pool” in the corners and die. My broom has been busy, sweeping the deceased....lol. Not so many in this picture....hooray! (This picture was taken outdoors, near my front door.) Also, the wee beasties will get inside if they can. Opening the front door can be a challenge....me against the fly.....lol.
Your photo, we could live with. This was MUCH worse. It was more like this (not for the faint of heart, in particular the bit from :18 to :24)

Crazy Love Bug Invasion - YouTube
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 1959 when my parents moved from Baltimore to St. Petersburg, I was in the 4th grade and we were with a realtor looking at homes. It was at night since my dad worked during the day and I never forgot this home. The realtor said, there is a real nice screen porch just off the kitchen, and then he opened the back door and flipped on the outside light. In an instant there was a swarm of about 200 large flying palmetto bugs inside the porch. My dad said, we've seen enough, and we took off for the front door.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
This one's not bad at all. The trailer is too small but I loved the hedges in the back yard.

We actually saw a trailer up against the main public road, almost made an offer on it but the timing is all wrong. Plus it had a really horrible lovebug infestation. If those two things hadn't been "true" it would've made a pretty decent "second to last forever home" for us in TV.

I'm glad the timing was off though. I think we'll be able to find better, without having to mortgage, when we're more ready to commit next summer.

We definitely prefer an actual house, if at all possible. If it's a trailer it'd need to be pretty remarkable for us to consider it.
We would love to have someone as thoughtful as you join us in Orange Blossom Gardens in either a Site Built home or Manufactured Home. When a person owns the property that a Trailer is set on when the wheels and axle are removed the Trailer gets promoted to a Manufactured Home. Many of us in the Hysterical Section really care for our homes, a whole lot.

We have a new 2Br/Ba home in our neighborhood that The Villages just built for a great couple for just $160K. Amazing. It's surrounded by Manicured Manufactured Homes.

The Love Bugs are crazy In Love this Year. Usually we have a few but this year has been rough. It's still worth it just to be lucky enought to call this home.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Your photo, we could live with. This was MUCH worse. It was more like this (not for the faint of heart, in particular the bit from :18 to :24)

Crazy Love Bug Invasion - YouTube
Some years it’s like that video, other years you see very few. They’re a pain when here but it’s only for a short while ... and after a bit you get use to the event. Just make sure you get the deceased off of you car....they damage the paint. Car washes do a lot of business during Lovebug season.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Sage

Having a garage (or at LEAST a golf cart garage to the side of the carport!) would have made that particular home infinitely more attractive, for the very reason of the lovebug problem. But having to put your car right NEXT to that door where the infestation was (since that's also the driveway), and having an open golf cart sitting in the same spot...ugh. I can't imagine the difficulty in trying to even get into the car, let alone washing it every single day for two months (sometimes three) every year. What a waste of water.

Is there even any kind of method to shift their location? Like, make the spot they've chosen to be as unattractive to them as possible, so they'll choose the back wall of your house instead of the front door? Or lure them so that they actually like the place, just - in a different spot?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Having a garage (or at LEAST a golf cart garage to the side of the carport!) would have made that particular home infinitely more attractive, for the very reason of the lovebug problem. But having to put your car right NEXT to that door where the infestation was (since that's also the driveway), and having an open golf cart sitting in the same spot...ugh. I can't imagine the difficulty in trying to even get into the car, let alone washing it every single day for two months (sometimes three) every year. What a waste of water.

Is there even any kind of method to shift their location? Like, make the spot they've chosen to be as unattractive to them as possible, so they'll choose the back wall of your house instead of the front door? Or lure them so that they actually like the place, just - in a different spot?
Not sure that there are any steps to get them to shift their location. This year has seen greater numbers of the flies around, and some years, you may not see any in your location. I’ve been lucky for the past few years, low numbers, if any lovebugs around my house, this year, lots. They’ll vanish within the next week and you’ll be lovebug free till spring. They are an inconvenience but harmless. They are a part of this area’s insect population. Have you read this? Lovebug - Wikipedia
Old 09-28-2018, 10:28 PM
Sage

Yeah I know what they are, and I know they aren't disease carriers or stingers or biters. They're basically oversized horny gnats. I'm not fond of gnats, either and harmless or not, I don't want an infestation to fly into my mouth just because I happen to pick that moment to sneeze.
Closed Thread

Tags
established, carpeting, home, homes, landing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.