Lowes Update Again...

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2021, 08:28 PM

I had a night mare experience here in Texas with a large carpet install in 2005.

They measured my house and showed up with 2/3 of the carpet that they needed do they installed what the could in my 3800 sq foot home.

They remeasured and showed up with enough to finish except for all the walk in closets.

I told them after part two that they could remove everything and credit my account or they could finish the job at their own expense but I wasn’t paying again.

So they said that they’d cover the carpet at their cost for me and I could pay for the cost of the carpet and the installer which came to $1,500.00.

I said just take all your stuff out and credit me they didn’t want to do that so I said here’s the deal my house has been a wreck for a month since we started.

I’ve taken a week altogether off to be here to facilitate this installation.

My wages for that week were $2,500. Now you want me to take a few more days off and pay you $1,500.00 more for your mistakes.

Here’s the deal I’ll pay the $1,500.00 if you’ll reimburse me for my time off which will likely be 3k by the time we’re finished.

They decided to finish got no extra charge.

I could see if I’d have measured the home but their people did all 3 times

1 year after the install the carpet started buckling they refused to come out and stretch it.

I was told by my painter just days after the install that in his opinion that the carpet needed power stretched as it was too loose on the floor.

Well he was right.

So obviously I haven’t done any business at Lowe’s since and I’m preparing to replace my floors at our home in TV in a week or two but Lowe’s won’t get a chance to quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatRatKat View Post
I cannot believe I'm even typing this, I thought for sure it would be handled today as promised. For those who are following my Lowes carpet saga...my parent's carpet was supposed to finally be installed this morning after HQ became involved. They were supposed to show up between 8-10 and at 8:15 the installer called wanting to know how big the piano was because there were only two of them. Piano?! Red flag. My Mother told them there was a bed, dresser and small chair...NO PIANO... and they said ok and would be there in 20 mins. They never showed up, no phone call. After much back and forth we were told by HQ and the Installation Co that my Mother had refused the carpet when they called!! Never happened, I was there all morning. They have everything so confused and jumbled up, nobody knows what they're doing. They are supposed to come tomorrow morning now. I have no confidence in Lowes or the installer. What does this say about Lowes that even when HQ becomes involved they still cannot get it right. Meanwhile, my Dad's dresser drawers are piled in the dining room and his bed was stripped in anticipation of the carpet installation. I pleaded with my Dad to call the credit card company to try and stop payment on the carpet and he won't do it, he is a class act with high morals and character and that doesn't seem right to him. Lowes could learn a thing or two from my Dad. I am so sad that my parents are having to go through this nonsense.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipops View Post
Bought a resale and after three years the carpet began to pop up in spots. Checked the paper work and it was installed by Great Lakes.
Did they help you out or just disregard you?

It clearly says that any warranty we have does not transfer to the next owner. The carpet is several notches above builder grade so it's no big deal.

I hate carpet and hate it even more in Florida but this wasn't worth going to battle stations about. My wife wanted it and I had a good experience so far.

Some companies have good installation crews and bad ones also. Whatareyougonnado? Can't win 'em all!
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Did they help you out or just disregard you?

It clearly says that any warranty we have does not transfer to the next owner. The carpet is several notches above builder grade so it's no big deal.

I hate carpet and hate it even more in Florida but this wasn't worth going to battle stations about. My wife wanted it and I had a good experience so far.

Some companies have good installation crews and bad ones also. Whatareyougonnado? Can't win 'em all!
Once we can afford for it to climb to the top of the priority list, we're ripping the carpet out of the two bedrooms and replacing it with the acrylic wood-grain plank we have in the rest of the house. Then I'll be able to put my 3x5' Persian rug in the guest room (our "office") and it'll look good between our desks.

Our cat uses our carpet like she uses the perch - as a method of exercising her claws and shredding the fibers. Not surprisingly, the cat perches we have are made of the exact same carpeting, in the same color.

So when we rip up our floors, I'll probably use it to recover the existing perches, which are almost completely threadbare.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:10 AM

I have done business with the Lowes in Wildwood and mostly have had good experiences. About a year ago I did have a delay in getting a refrigerator delivered but only to find out the delivery drivers were help up at another home longer then they had expected because the homeowner ordered a fridge that needed to have the doors taken off to fit into their front door . The one thing I've learned about living in the Villages is ..... I relax and enjoy the palm trees.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:18 AM

Similar disaster. Last month Lowes installer arrived, looked at the room, and refused to move the furniture which I paid extra to have moved as it is heavy. They left. I spent 2 hours at Lowes with Assist Mgr on phone with the "new Lowes nationwide flooring installer" and even he couldn't fix it by offering to pay more! He said that Lowes contracted with them a few months ago and the local stores must use them. I canceled the order, went to Robertos but a 3-month wait. I went to a great family-owned and operated Masterpiece Flooring store in Fruitland Park. 3 wks total wait time. Highly recommend. So our house was a complete mess as we tried to help by removing doors and everything off surfaces, closets cleaned out. Lowes for nickel dine stuff but nothing that requires installation by their subs.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM

Go to Nickels on Canal Street. Great selection and great crews to work with.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:47 PM

Used Lowes in NY for purchase and installation of carpet in a very large finished basement. The workmanship on the installation was terrible. The room was wide so they had to install using a seam. Carpet also had a nap. Well they didn't install the 2 pieces with the nap in the same direction. 6 months later, several people coming out to see if it was the installers error. We finally got new carpet with installation.....bot at no charge. I have never, nor will I ever deal with Lowes for such an item. I'm sorry to hear your experience is also bad.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patzy View Post
Similar disaster. Last month Lowes installer arrived, looked at the room, and refused to move the furniture which I paid extra to have moved as it is heavy. They left. I spent 2 hours at Lowes with Assist Mgr on phone with the "new Lowes nationwide flooring installer" and even he couldn't fix it by offering to pay more! He said that Lowes contracted with them a few months ago and the local stores must use them. I canceled the order, went to Robertos but a 3-month wait. I went to a great family-owned and operated Masterpiece Flooring store in Fruitland Park. 3 wks total wait time. Highly recommend. So our house was a complete mess as we tried to help by removing doors and everything off surfaces, closets cleaned out. Lowes for nickel dine stuff but nothing that requires installation by their subs.
Interesting to hear of someone with a similar experience to ours (post #18). I guess I should feel lucky to have been given the opportunity to pay the extra $500 to get it done that day 😂
Old 04-19-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Thank you for the follow-up and the lesson that you taught us! If anyone here uses Lowe's for carpet , they were warned! Postponing a payment is your leverage!
Lowe’s and Home Depot contract out installation to local contractors (not the 50s 60’s or 70s when you brought something from Sears, Sears employee’s showed up, those days are long gone).

If contractor has good ratings, He could be doing jobs for both companies. I had carpet install by both companies few years ago and really boils down to who doing the contract. Was real happy with one and not so much with another install. I thought get the same contractor, but I didn’t.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Lowe’s and Home Depot contract out installation to local contractors (not the 50s 60’s or 70s when you brought something from Sears, Sears employee’s showed up, those days are long gone).

If contractor has good ratings, He could be doing jobs for both companies. I had carpet install by both companies few years ago and really boils down to who doing the contract. Was real happy with one and not so much with another install. I thought get the same contractor, but I didn’t.
My neighbor contracted Home Depot to replace the carpeting with laminate flooring. The contractor came, did the job, were polite and seemed competent, and left. Fast forward 1 month and all the flooring was buckling up. Neighbor had already moved north, I was taking care of the property on her behalf (lawnmowing, weeding, toilet flushing, checking the hot water heater, making sure the realtors didn't jack up the AC and forget to put it back to 82 when they left, etc etc). So neighbor got in touch with Home Depot, told them the problem.

A DIFFERENT contractor showed up and it turned out the original people did it wrong, and the whole thing had to be redone. Which - they did. And they did an excellent job of it. They even fixed some carpeting which a -different- contractor had put in, in one of the rooms. It needed to be tucked and tacked down by the wall, which they had forgotten to do.

So I agree - it really depends on the contractor. The second one that came was excellent and if I knew their company's name I'd post it to recommend it.
Closed Thread

Tags
lowes, carpet, morning, piano, supposed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.