Lpp

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Question Lpp

Trying to set up a lifestyle visit - finally convinced my wife. Called today, nothing available until May. I was thinking of just booking a room at the Holiday Inn Express so we can escape New England winter for a few days. But I really wanted to stay in the villages to get full experience. I figured either come down in March or wait till May - what would you all recommend.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Sage

Why not do both?? You probably wouldn't be able to do the amenities while in the hotel BUT you can still go to the squares and ride around the community to try to get a "feel" of it. Eat in the restaurants, go to a movie or two, and just make believe you actually live here! We stayed in the motel when we came to buy our house and it was great. Very nice!!!

Then come in May (it'll be before the humidity of summer hits) and enjoy "living" in the accomodations provided so it will seem as though you're actually a resident.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Why not do both?? You probably wouldn't be able to do the amenities while in the hotel BUT you can still go to the squares and ride around the community to try to get a "feel" of it. Eat in the restaurants, go to a movie or two, and just make believe you actually live here! We stayed in the motel when we came to buy our house and it was great. Very nice!!!

Then come in May (it'll be before the humidity of summer hits) and enjoy "living" in the accomodations provided so it will seem as though you're actually a resident.
Good advice.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Great advice. Come down twice.

I agree with the above posters. Take the trolley ride. Try to see at least three regional rec centers and ask if you can peek in at the dance classes and art groups and card and bunco games and OTHER activities. The rec centers are amazingly decorated, each differently. Watch the sun set from Morse Bridge, if you can rent a golf cart.

Talk to everyone, people here are so proud of their town that they are so willing to tell you anything you want to know.

Check out the Polo field and the softball fields and the tennis and racquetball courts. Just walk up and down the streets at any of the squares and look at the dazzling array of spiffy golf carts. Play golf on a championship course.

I think the last tally was that we have 12 championship courses and 34(?) executive courses. We have a LOT of swimming pools, some are for ONLY people over thirty and some are for family members who visit. NO indoor swimming pools, sorry.

I have been accused of working for the developer and I admit I am smitten with this place even after five years. I don't work for him but I am like thousands of other people who live here, just so glad we are spending our golden years in such an amazing place.

PM me and stop by our house if you'd like. I will try to tone down the rant.

P.S. Watch out for the runners, skate boarders and bike riders. We aren't your typical retirement community. I am pretty sure Mr. Midnight is an urban legend.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:46 AM

Try calling back and saying you are interested in buying...may work...it did for us.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

For just a few dollars more you can stay at the Waterfront Inn and be close enough to walk to the square. And it's a very nice hotel right on the lake. And if you know anyone here, get there ID number for the reservation and get a 10 to 25% discount depending on the nights.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Gold member
Default Or try April

If you don't want to make 2 trips down in such a short space of time, why not try renting a private home with a golf cart for as long as you can come in April? Rents drop a bit and you can probably find someone who wants to rent for 2 weeks if you look hard. When we rented ours out, we always came for 2 weeks in April ourselves - I think a lot of landlords might do this.

I think April, along with usually November, is one of the nicest months in The Villages, weather-wise. Usually in the 80s and not much rain yet. May can be iffy - about half of it nice and half of it hot, humid, and sometimes rainy - you never know which half, although odds are better for the 1st half to be the nicer weather.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Veteran member

Here's an idea: I'd go ahead & make hotel reservations at the HIE, but as it gets closer to the time of your visit (perhaps a week or two before) I'd keep calling TV back every day, as they surely have a Lifestyle Visit cancellation every now & then. But if you can't get in, staying at the HIE will be almost as good. In december we decided to drive down a day early for our LSV & stayed at the HIE for the first night, and it was a great hotel, just a stone's throw from Spanish Springs town square.

And even if you're not "officially" there on a LSV & assigned a sales agent to show you model homes, you can still check out the many different open houses each day for re-sale homes on the market, and pick & choose which ones to go see. They're listed daily on the TV website & in the paper. At each open house a sales agent will be present, and I would think you could surely make arrangements with one of them to see some of the models.

And if you haven't already done so, begin studying TV on Google Earth or MSN maps & familiarize yourself with the layout & get to know the major thoroughfares; Morse & Buena Vista run north/south, and 466, 466A run east/west. Learn where the three town squares are in relation to each other & which streets connect them. TV is HUGE and doing this in advance will be a big help in finding your way around & lessen the time you waste getting lost.

As others have said, be sure & take the trolley bus ride that leaves from the Lake Sumter sales office. It's a great "up high" ride through TV & you will be able to see a lot more of the surroundings than driving thru in a car or golf cart. And one more thing. Just in case you haven't been reading Talk of The Villagaes for very long & haven't yet come across one of the many lively roundabout discussions, here is a link to the official rules that will guide you through how they are properly used. http://sumtercountyfl.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/3939

I'm sure you have already been impressed with TV after seeing all the pictures on the website and perhaps looking at the many videos on YouTube, but prepare yourselves to be WOWed when you finally see it in person. It is magnificent.....you won't want to leave. Hope everything works out as you planned, and have fun!

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post

I agree with this advice. There is also a Marriott that is right in Spanish Springs square. Take the trolley tour and visit the squares.

I would also check the the Sales office everyday to see if there was a cancellation. The LSV will provide a home that will be something like you might want to live in.

Be prepared to be blown away by the beauty of TV and it's people. Talk to everyone you come in contact with.

BTW - Bring your checkbook.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran member

Call the sales office and get assigned a salesman notice I said not a realtor but a salesman enhance your position they will will find you a time to visit if you tell them that you are coming to buy they will find you a place I promise this has worked for many of my friends. Be prepared to drink the koolaide and buy here in this perceived perfect place.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM

We had a similar experience last year. Friends of ours who had recently purchased a home in The Villages suggested we call their agent. We called Carol Kramer (1-800-245-1081) and she magically made it happen. We had a great Life Style experience. Carol was great and we are now proud owners of a new home in Charlotte. I would highly recommend contacting her. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

Believe I read in an earlier post where these folks said they were four or five years away from retirement. Perhaps I'm just too honest, but I couldn't call & tell a sales agent I was ready to buy....just to get a LSV reservation. JMHO

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

sereona - it wouldn't be dishonest if someone buys before retirement and then snowbirds here and/or rents the property until they do retire. I believe I've read right here that some of our totv'ers do jus that - especially when they come with their checkbook!

Last edited by njbchbum; 02-17-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
sereona - it wouldn't be dishonest if someone buys before retirement and then snowbirds here and/or rents the property until they do retire. I believe I've read right here that some of our totv'ers do jus that - especially when they come with their checkbook!
You're right, hadn't thought of that.

Whew, my faith in humanity has been restored!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,169 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...We have a LOT of swimming pools, some are for ONLY people over thirty and some are for family members who visit. NO indoor swimming pools, sorry.
No indoor swimming pools, as Gracie said, and also no whirlpool tubs. Having said that, all pools are heated to a wonderful 81 to 84 degrees. On a {{{cold}}} winter day, the water is deliciously warm.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.