Mail Boxes

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM

Same thing happened wirh us. I am 4'11' and when I asked about it, my mail people were nasty. I ride my bike and don't carry a stepstool. I open my box and stand on the lower frame that juts out. Every now and then someone tall helps me. I am just waiting for the mail ladies to scold me. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjmarchese View Post
ADA Compliance

For interior mailrooms, the ADA specifies that at least 5% of the mailboxes must meet accessibility guidelines.

Local regulations may override this percentage and require 100% compliance.

Typically, it is the local jurisdiction codes office/inspector that will designate if an installation must meet only the min ADA requirement of 5% or if it should be 100% compliant; there is usually very little in between.

Current practice is to use sequential numbering on the mailboxes, rather than matching identification to the apartment numbers. This allows greater flexibility in providing accessible mailbox compartments that meet the necessary accessibility regulations. Sequential numbering also provides greater privacy and security for residents by not tying the mailbox to a specific apartment or house number. Another option to ensure 5% of your mailbox installation is compliant is to install an additional set of mailboxes which fully meet compliance and would only be available for designated mobility units within the community.

Mailboxes must comply with Section 309 specifications governing a location’s clear floor space, equipment height, and operation. ADA sets forth a forward reach range that is between 15 and 48 inches, which is lower than the 67” the USPS specifications allows. ADA also sets forth the same range for side reach ranges; which is again lower than the USPS specifications allow.
Not to be nit picky, but most Villages mailboxes are exterior, not interior.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephjmarchese View Post
ADA Compliance

For interior mailrooms, the ADA specifies that at least 5% of the mailboxes must meet accessibility guidelines.

Local regulations may override this percentage and require 100% compliance.

Typically, it is the local jurisdiction codes office/inspector that will designate if an installation must meet only the min ADA requirement of 5% or if it should be 100% compliant; there is usually very little in between.

Current practice is to use sequential numbering on the mailboxes, rather than matching identification to the apartment numbers. This allows greater flexibility in providing accessible mailbox compartments that meet the necessary accessibility regulations. Sequential numbering also provides greater privacy and security for residents by not tying the mailbox to a specific apartment or house number. Another option to ensure 5% of your mailbox installation is compliant is to install an additional set of mailboxes which fully meet compliance and would only be available for designated mobility units within the community.

Mailboxes must comply with Section 309 specifications governing a location’s clear floor space, equipment height, and operation. ADA sets forth a forward reach range that is between 15 and 48 inches, which is lower than the 67” the USPS specifications allows. ADA also sets forth the same range for side reach ranges; which is again lower than the USPS specifications allow.
Apparently, just being short does not qualify as being covered by the ADA:

"Unless the individual's lack of height – or other physical characteristic – is tied to a physiological disorder, the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply, as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit recently explained. In Colton v.Jul 30, 2021"
Old 05-12-2023, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamilak View Post
My husband and I just closed on our house and we are so excited! The excitement, however, is slightly dampened since we are unable to reach our mailbox and we have come upon several road blocks attempting to fix the problem.
My husband and I are both little people, he is just under 5’ tall and I am just over 4’ tall.
The mailbox assigned to the house we bought is on the top row.
The post office & the District.gov ADA rep both say mail boxes are assigned by The Villages sales center. TV sales center, however says it’s the post office.
Has anyone else come across this problem or maybe you know someone who has.
Thank you so much for any help,
Sandi & Frank
My mother has the same problem. As long as my dad is alive he will get the mail. T V has said to take it up with the P O.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
One new postal station has a step stool. Ask them for one
Can one get their bond paid off by M n M if they fall off a step stool vs the P O moving their box to a reachable box ? - asking for a friend. In today's society WHO would encourage an 84 year old woman to climb a step stool (?)
Old 05-12-2023, 06:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
My husband and I just closed on our house and we are so excited! The excitement, however, is slightly dampened since we are unable to reach our mailbox and we have come upon several road blocks attempting to fix the problem.
My husband and I are both little people, he is just under 5’ tall and I am just over 4’ tall.
The post office & the District.gov ADA rep both say mail boxes are assigned by The Villages sales center. TV sales center, however says it’s the post office.
Sandi & Frank
I’m tempted to laugh because I’m 6’3”, and while my original box here happened to be on the top row, which I could reach with no problem, I recently moved to another village, and now my box is on the next to lowest row, and I feel like a giraffe trying to reach it and see inside. I’m tempted to laugh, but the fact is, there are plenty of people who are closer to 5’ than to 6’ and simply can’t reach the top row of boxes. There are others with shoulder and neck issues that keep them from reaching that high. Some people using mobility scooters may not be able to reach the top four rows and the bottom two. I don’t recall seeing a stool or step ladder around, but those are not without risks themselves. I certainly would not want my 94 year old dad climbing onto any stool or ladder at all.

I think tall people like me should always watch out for people with your predicament and be willing to help. Don’t be afraid to ask. It’s a good start in making friends.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:32 AM
Gold member

I would try what might be somewhat of a combination of advice. First ask taller people to help you. I am probably mid-size (5'6"), & I love helping shorter people to get items off of shelves or mail boxes. It gives a little lift to my day that I was able to be helpful. While doing this be on the lookout for a tall person with an uncomfortably low box, for them. Then see if they would be amenable to switching. When you ask the postal station employee, if you present the two requests together, then that should make it easier for them to make the switch, rather than having to find an unused lower box. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage

Going to the boxes....just be observant sometime and watch people fetch their mail. Ours is maybe hip-level so not an issue but I've watched people trying to get from the lowest row and it's difficult for many. I'm short so the top would be difficult to reach. My experience is in stores---grocery shopping for instance. There have been times a product is on the top row and maybe only 1 or 2 left, but pushed back. I've had to flag a taller person to please help me. The OP does pose a difficult issue and there are several options offered here. Hoping they can find one that works for them.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Sandi & Frank
I have the same problem although my husband can reach the mailbox. We met another resident that keeps a folding step stool in her gold cart. We were also told that they will not move mailboxes.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:19 AM

I think the mail person will help you or tell you how to get a lower box. Forget the step stool that could cause a fall if in fact there is one. In 13 years I never saw one and I had 3 different addresses. Someone will help you - just finding that person is your challenge. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2023, 07:23 AM

Threat both with filling a complaint with the ADA. Before, you may want to talk with the carrier to get some insight.the problem may be that if all lower boxes are already assigned
Old 05-12-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonl7340 View Post
Same thing happened wirh us. I am 4'11' and when I asked about it, my mail people were nasty. I ride my bike and don't carry a stepstool. I open my box and stand on the lower frame that juts out. Every now and then someone tall helps me. I am just waiting for the mail ladies to scold me. Necessity is the mother of invention.
Some of the postal stations have 2 stools for patron use. The Villages should supply at least 2 to each station so patrons don't have to lug them around the building. Cheap enough option!
Old 05-12-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
We were told by post office, TV, and the mail person boxes are in order of house addresses and can’t be changed. If there is a problem reaching mail, a step stool is located at mail station. Still won’t hurt to ask
And w2ho will pay when you fall off the stool?
Old 05-12-2023, 07:54 AM
Sage

To me, it seems like an easy problem to deal with. If you can't reach to 67 inches, you can buy a small plastic folding one-step stool that provides an additional 6 to 9 inches. The top mailboxes are about 8 inches lower than the top shelf of most kitchen cabinets. If they made the top boxes 48 inches, they would lose 4 rows of boxes, which would require a much larger mailbox facility. Although, I think they should be able to accommodate those who request a mailbox change.
Old 05-12-2023, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

I'm 6’3” and my box is on the bottom which is practically on the floor. lol.
Closed Thread

Tags
mail, problem, boxes, tall, center

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.