Managing Traffic in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Veteran member
Default Managing Traffic in The Villages

Traffic management in The Villages is better than many developed areas in Florida but it needs vast improvement. This will become even more evident with increased growth. A major shortcoming so often identified on this board is the interaction of golf carts and vehicular traffic. In my opinion, this should receive a high priority. There absolutely needs to be in place a framework whereby traffic hazards and concerns can be addressed on a professional, organized basis. I am not aware that we have a Traffic Coordinating Committee that actively engages in the processes that:

Review and evaluate resident and law enforcement traffic concerns

Review and act upon accident data including problem locations, hazards such as line of sight obstructions, traffic control improvements and recommendations, and remedies that reduce causal factors

Coordinate a multi-jurisdictional effort that maximizes the safe, transparent flow of traffic between the counties and municipalities that make up The Villages

Identify areas for selective traffic enforcement campaigns

Prioritize projects and initiatives and appoint subcommittees to followup

Evaluate parking concerns and make recommendations based upon changing demographics and needs

An effective Traffic Coordinating Committee necessarily needs to be comprised of residents, law enforcement officials, the developer, business representatives, political representatives from the venues involved and maintenance coordinators. I have witnessed highly successful TCC's with a law enforcement chair to coordinate input, reviews, recommendations and to facilitate the implementation of recommendations through the private or governmental entity that has that responsibility. They should meet on at least a regular monthly or bimonthly basis. An interlocal government agreement should precipitate the formation of a TCC so that our unique multi-jurisdictional composition does not become an encumbrance.

Random thoughts before golf.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Managing Traffic in The Villages

I absolutely agree that we need some type committee and regulation regarding driving of golf carts. I find that many grandparents let their way underage grandchildren drive the golf cart because it is "cute". I also find that people who have no knowledge of driving, have never driven a car, are now driving golf carts and are dangerous to others.

How do we go about changing this????? Any ideas appreciated. I planned to call the local sheriff's departments and the developer to see if there was any group in place which takes care of traffic safety such as mentioned above.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Veteran member

I agree wholeheartedly. I wrote a letter to Chief Tucker a while back concerning the kids driving golf carts - it just irks me no end. I am so surprised there hasn't been a severe accident or fatality yet since I've been here. I have seen so many close calls with kids behind the wheel. I, also, don't understand when someone's eyesight isn't good enough to drive a car but it is okay to drive a golf cart - what is the difference??
Old 04-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well I made it through this thread........(only fell asleep once) anyway isn't it wonderful that we have VALIUM ..........

yaahnnnn fumar
Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 AM
Veteran member

The above critical review from the great fumar who gave us such recent tantalizingly memorable and stirring posts as:

....the riveting saga of his pull down ladder in his first CYV embellished with the ingenious use of 4 sheets of plywood...be still my heart...

....who could ever forget fumar's pulse pounding masterpiece on sucking up lizards in his vacuum cleaner....that one had us on the edge of our chairs, literally taking our breath away...

Thank you Mr. Excitement. As someone who cut cards for the big guys and learned how to toss bones in Newark when I was 5, I do look forward to watching "21" on your recommendation. Thanks. Back to you great one. ;D ;D ;D
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.