Manufactured homes in the historic district

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The Villages no longer has the $90K program going because they were actually competing against themselves and the New Homes in the New Areas. The attraction of the Historic Section is obvious to many people. The biggest attraction would be not having to pay The Bond. It's a FACT. If you build in the Historic Section there is NO BOND.

The building of new homes has slowed here in the last year or so but it is still possible. I have noticed single wide homes being removed and another company building beautiful 2br 2ba 1 1/2 car garage CYV'S without the wall surrounding. The homes are absolutely beautiful, absolutely expensive, and built at a slower speed by far than the way The Villages builds a home.

From the time the old unit leaves the lot you have 6 months to build your new dream home. Looks like many have slipped in under the wire. People have spoken in the past about the speed of a house being built is to fast and that it affects the quality of the product. I say that's not true. I would pick The Villages way of building any day.

I had a shot at what turned out to be one of the last Villages Program Houses and turned it down. Live and learn.
What is a "Villages Program House"?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:31 PM

It was my understanding (and I may be wrong) the program was for mobile homes only. Mobile homes were being removed and site built homes were going in. There is a difference between mobile homes and manufactured homes.
Word was if you buy a mobile home you cannot get insurance so The Villages stepped in and started buying the mobile homes.
There was also an indication that the program would be later extended to manufactured homes.
That's the way I heard it.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:50 PM

The Villages pulled their building crew Led by Jimmy Mehann and sent them south about 15 months ago. I purchased a lot from th Villages in February of 2018 for $59,900. They had purchased the previous home got $110,000 and then incurred demolition costs. The Villages built my home. Now individuals have to purchase doublewides incur the demolition costs and hire an approved contractor to build a new home at a cost considerably higher than the Villages.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would at least have a real estate agent do a market analysis and let them try to sell it for what they think it is worth. That doesn't cost you anything.
It costs utilities, amenity fees, taxes, maintenance, and lawn care for every month that it doesn't sell. If you inherit a money sink, it's better to just get rid of it and hope to make a few bucks in the process, than it is to keep paying for something you have no interest in.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak View Post
It was my understanding (and I may be wrong) the program was for mobile homes only. Mobile homes were being removed and site built homes were going in. There is a difference between mobile homes and manufactured homes.
Word was if you buy a mobile home you cannot get insurance so The Villages stepped in and started buying the mobile homes.
There was also an indication that the program would be later extended to manufactured homes.
That's the way I heard it.
Technically, a manufactured home IS a mobile home. The term "manufactured home" is intended to replace the term "mobile home" which has negative connotations in the real estate market.

Both are either single-wides or double-wides that are rolled in by trailer, and set down on concrete piers with tie-downs. Modern mobile homes typically have add-ons, such as sheds, lanais, extra rooms - all of which are rolled in by trailer and attached to the main structures once they are at their destination.

The Villages "historic" section was a trailer park. No matter how beautiful it is, no matter how luxurious the setting, no matter that is has a gorgeous golf club on the top of a hill that requires membership, or that the neighborhood pool has a jacuzzi..it's still a trailer park.

You can call it whatever you want, but it won't negate that fact. It's beautiful, and most of the dwellings are in excellent shape and spacious and lovely and well-decorated and appointed. They're still double-wides and single-wides, regardless.

The moderator added a few paragraphs to my post that I didn't write, and put "Software error, apologies" in the "reason for editing" section. I just deleted them, since I didn't post them. Someone else did. Whoever you are, you'll need to re-post whatever it is you posted.

However, you would be incorrect. A "mobile home" doesn't become a "manufactured home" dependent on axles or whether or not you own the property. If I own 10 acres of land, and roll five double-wides onto those acres, and I am the owner of both property and mobile homes, they're still mobile homes.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 10-13-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Software error; apologies.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Technically, a manufactured home IS a mobile home. The term "manufactured home" is intended to replace the term "mobile home" which has negative connotations in the real estate market.
"Manufactured home" is indeed distinct from a mobile home according to HUD, in that they have a higher standard of quality, according to this article.

Excerpt: "For the industry and the general public, it’s common to interchange the terms “mobile home” and “manufactured home”. Technically, though, manufactured homes must have been built after June 15, 1976, and must meet a set of rigorous standards set forth by HUD. Indeed, today’s manufactured homes are much more durable, safe, strong, and eco-friendly than their pre-1976 predecessors, thanks to these regulations and subsequent HUD code updates."

What Is the Difference Between Mobile Homes, Manufactured Homes and Modular Homes?
Old 10-13-2020, 02:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

[QUOTE=OrangeBlossomBaby;1846580]Technically, a manufactured home IS a mobile home. The term "manufactured home" is intended to replace the term "mobile home" which has negative connotations in the real estate market.

Both are either single-wides or double-wides that are rolled in by trailer, and set down on concrete piers with tie-downs. Modern mobile homes typically have add-ons, such as sheds, lanais, extra rooms - all of which are rolled in by trailer and attached to the main structures once they are at their destination.

The Villages "historic" section was a trailer park. No matter how beautiful it is, no matter how luxurious the setting, no matter that is has a gorgeous golf club on the top of a hill that requires membership, or that the neighborhood pool has a jacuzzi..it's still a trailer park.

You can call it whatever you want, but it won't negate that fact. It's beautiful, and most of the dwellings are in excellent shape and spacious and lovely and well-decorated and appointed. They're still double-wides and single-wides, regardless.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:14 PM

Yes you can build a home with the builder of your choice. We did. We owned the land free and clear. We found a builder and presented the plans to T.V. and they approved, got a builder, got a permit, and here we are, new home NOT VILLAGE BUILT only about 80,000 less. You own the property here that is not true of a lot of Mobil parks in Fl.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
"Manufactured home" is indeed distinct from a mobile home according to HUD, in that they have a higher standard of quality, according to this article.

Excerpt: "For the industry and the general public, it’s common to interchange the terms “mobile home” and “manufactured home”. Technically, though, manufactured homes must have been built after June 15, 1976, and must meet a set of rigorous standards set forth by HUD. Indeed, today’s manufactured homes are much more durable, safe, strong, and eco-friendly than their pre-1976 predecessors, thanks to these regulations and subsequent HUD code updates."

What Is the Difference Between Mobile Homes, Manufactured Homes and Modular Homes?
The code updated, and the mobile homes had to meet new standards. As they did that, they changed the NAME OF THEM to "manufactured homes." They're still mobile homes. They're updated boxes that are brought in on a trailer and set down on piers with tie-downs.

Also you quoted from a website that belongs to a mobile home company. Of COURSE they will spin it to make it sound like the 1980 double-wide isn't a double-wide. It's a double-wide. It is, no matter how pretty it is, or how well made it is, or how many standards it meets. It's still a double-wide, and still a mobile home. You can call it a miniature mansion, or a moveable ranch home, or a single-story dwelling, or an extended tiny home. And it'll still be a mobile home.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:14 PM

The Villages Builders are cookie cutter Builders, if you’re someone that has done a few complete remodels you’ll realize the lack of quality in their builds!
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, manufactured, site, replace, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.