masks in rec centers

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM

I totally agree with you. I do not feel safe to resume some activities now because everyone is not wearing a mask. The Villages is remiss in caring. For us all. If I weren’t 77 years old, I would move🦠🦠🦠🦠😔😔😫
Old 05-29-2020, 07:36 AM

I am a mask wearer. Hate them, but do it when in public places where I can't stay 6' away. I want to get along. BUT, at what point will we be able to stop this?? When will people feel safe enough to go into a rec center maskless? 1 month, 2 months, 3 months? I won't wear this thing forever so there has to be something reasonable. And that can't be 'when they have a vaccine' because who the heck knows when that will be a reality?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:38 AM

Reposting this post...

"This is a practical and balanced understanding, and guidelines to what is next for ALL of us, no matter how we feel about Covid...

A nurse practitioner just shared this and I love it! My desire is to create unity, not division. ❤

“Flattening the curve didn’t mean stop the infection, but spreading it out so that the system could handle it. I am seeing so much anxiety about resuming business, and so much anger about continued regulations. People are feeling the need to catapult to one side or the other, then fight the opposition.

Here’s my perspective, from a mainstream medical model. I think a lot of folks have fallen into the idea that social distancing was meant to stop the viral spread. It wasn’t. It was meant to SLOW it while we put medical infrastructure in place. It’s not perfect, but it’s much better than it was seven weeks ago.

A vaccine is a long way off. At some point, people have to be systematically exposed to begin the building of (hopeful) herd immunity. We will likely begin to experience a real increase in cases after reopening. Ideally, that exposure is controlled and calculated, in phases, to allow our medical community to respond adequately, and reduce the number of severe or fatal cases. That’s where we are.

Whether you feel like things will be opening too soon, or not soon enough, we were never going to social distance this thing into nonexistence. You now need to proceed as your health, wallet, and conscience allow.

If you are medically vulnerable, you do not need to be a part of what is about to happen. Stay home if you can. If you’re not, or if your financial vulnerability trumps your health concerns, you need to proceed in ways that continue to protect yourself, and the elderly and medically vulnerable around you.

All of us need to calm down. Quit telling people who are financially struggling that they don’t care about human lives. Quit telling people who are truly at risk of dying from this virus that they are cowering in fear. Remember that until you’ve walked in someone else’s shoes, you should probably be careful in your judgements and subsequent harsh words.

We don’t HAVE to choose an either/or proposition and fight. We could choose other ways to be. Examples include but are not limited to:

“I think this may be too soon, so I will continue to shelter myself, and pray/make masks/ check on those who can’t.”

“I really need to go back to work, so I will do so, but I will be careful and try to protect myself, my family, and those around me with healthy strategies.”

See how those positions allow each of us to do what we need to, and also respect those who are choosing differently?

One thing that allows us to do this is humility. I can acknowledge that I am not an epidemiologist/economist/whatever, that I am making decisions based on my understanding of complex subjects and my own personal health and financial situation, that I am not all knowing, always right, and an expert in all fields, and that each person around me is doing their best too. We can make different choices and still be a supportive community. We can learn and evolve in our understanding of these issues.”

*copied and pasted to share
Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Wait -- Wait-- Wait a minute!!!!
I just thought -- Hey! Maybe I should wear a hardhat too, because:
THE SKY IS FALLING !!!!

But really, a mask DOES help if the wearer is prone to sneezing
or coughing. It reduces the spread of droplets, which is the medium
that carries the virus if that person is infected.

Personally I don't wear a mask, as I'm a believer in
the herd immunity theory
Herd immunity is when 80% percent of the population is immune to something. We certainly aren't close.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,950 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarwen3 View Post
Actually gloves are NOT recommended and not at all necessary.
When the rec center first opened up they were in the one I when in. They revised the policy few days after when CDC made new recommendations. I think wearing anything outdoors is BS along with limiting outdoor activities. But, that's me.

I was only reporting what was on the signs posted in the rec centers when they first opened. IMO in open area the 10 limit is waiting in line, not closing half the courts off, you just may the problem worst when bunch waiting in line, that when the BS starts and they get close.

Just like when I went to Walmart yesterday, the had all the doors closed except the main entry I suspect from the assisted living on 466 cases. All that did was made it 100 times worse due to all the people going in and out one door. I am surprised the Districts didn't go in lock down also?
Old 05-29-2020, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Maybe because they shy well away from insisting that anyone does anything. Like saving chairs...And petting Buffalo. They tried very hard like double fencing those buffalo. People kept lifting their grandkids over the fence until one got hurt and now the buffalo are gone...……. They conveniently decided to redo the squares when the pandemic descended. I rather like they treat us like grown ups....

Also. A CDD probably can't enforce things that are just directions from the State Government level.
The buffalo had to go.......was so unfair to the buffalo shade was little to none in FL were the buffalo has never roamed free......
Sage
Thanked 9,533 Times in 3,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Herd immunity is when 80% percent of the population is immune to something. We certainly aren't close.
And 80% of the population being immune requires that 80% of the population be exposed to the virus.

The greatest risk of death due to this virus are among the elderly. The Villages are comprised primarily of the elderly.

Therefore - in order to achieve 80% immunity in the Villages, 80% of all these at-risk elderly people have to be infected with the virus.

I'm not sure I'd like to go that route. I mean, I'm not at risk since I'm under 60. My husband is over 60 though, and I'd kinda like to have him around awhile longer. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsre View Post
Masks are required if you can not maintain 6 feet of social distancing
Go back and read the rec news.
With a 99 plus survival rate, let's get on with life. Much is overblown by this corrupt media. A media with an agenda. This is not the way to live.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWilliams View Post
No new cases in The Villages since April 28 so just who you gonna catch the virus from? And don't say "asymptomatic carriers" because if they've been around for the last month, they would have infected some of those golfers, dancers, restaurant goers, etc, etc whose pictures have been posted on this site.

https://floridadisaster.org/globalas...compressed.pdf
If we don't test we will never have a case - just dead people from natural sources
Old 05-29-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,950 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo8357 View Post
Dr Russell Blaylock — google his information — states that they provide no protection. My own experience (admittedly non-scientific) bears out his believe that I am re-breathing and ingesting my carbon dioxide. I get a headache when wearing them, and have been unable to head to the rec centers as a result.
You don't have to wear mask in rec centers and many don't, it only recommendation. When I go in, I wear mask once I get to pool table I take it off. I wear it for the lady working there cause it recommended. I put it back on to exit the building, then take if off. If someone comes in starts couching I put it on. Does it help? I don't know or could care less, but I think it could help so I mask.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile !

Why would someone not do something to protect the other person? Our son works in a Rehab that is a medical facility restricted to brain injured patients who's ages range from infants/children to Senior citizens. We are so lucky to have our health and able to protect our friends and neighbors by just wearing a protective mask. It is beyond belief that some would be so selfish as to deny that small sacrifice for some slight discomfort. The medical workers must (by law) be tested at least twice a week, have temps taken everyday and in some cases PPE's every day and masks all day. If you do get ill with the virus this is the kind of care your medical provider provides because you didn't want to make a slight effort to protect yourself or the other person. They must sacrifice because you didn't!!! God help and protect the Medical workers
Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Anytime you'd like to cite a legitimate source for THAT statement is fine, we're all waiting.....
Each year about 45-50% of the population get flu shots and we still have a high number of deaths. But that number is an estimate from the CDC, COVID 19 is a real count (probably low since people that die at home aren't tested if they had another condition like a heart problem).
Also the number of flu deaths are over the full year, so far we have over 100,000 in about 3 months.

If you don't want to wear a mask, then I can only guess that you are being selfish or foolish. Wearing a mask DOES help (maybe not 100%, but it's better than nothing). It keeps most of the moisture from your mouth getting into the air.

Now, you may think that you don't have the virus, but it has been shown that many people that have the virus carried it for several days. They may have it without symptoms and never get sick or have a mild version of it.

So the mask is not to protect you (I'll do that by wearing my mask), it's to protect those that may die if they get the virus.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

No enforcement = no compliance!!

Why does everybody slow down to the speed limit in a school zone?
Obvious enforcement.
No secret to how something works (or doesn't).
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Anytime you'd like to cite a legitimate source for THAT statement is fine, we're all waiting.....
Coronavirus: Why face masks are not very effective for prevention - Business Insider
Old 05-29-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Default masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaKW View Post
Totally agree that I will not be able to enter clubhouses now that masks are NOT required.
It is not too much to ask of our peers to please mask up when inside. Shame on the Villages for reversing the policy. ESP. When requiring masks at outside pools.
I agree. It's almost like they don't want to open up the rec center indoor activities. Most people I know are willing to wear a mask so we can safely participate in rec center activities.
Closed Thread

Tags
wear, virus, trust, safe, free

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.