Mass Hysteria

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Default Strange Sightings

Saw someone at the postal station picking up his mail wearing a coffee filter tied to his face.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

If you believe some of the panic once you get the virus you have 2 days. Average ICU stay can be 5 to 7 days for normal issues. So virus will free up multiple ICU bed every 48 hours.

Sorry I can’t panic over what may or may not happen. I am just looking to get thru 7 days of call, that I volunteered for.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
Here you go doc. Search results said it took .53 SECONDS to locate this data.

"Initial reports suggest that COVID-19 is associated with severe disease that requires intensive care in approximately 5% of proven infections."

Read that again and perhaps let that sink in. That's a LOT of ICU beds that we DON'T have!

Care for Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19 | Critical Care Medicine | JAMA | JAMA Network
///
Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Veteran member
Default Iran warns coronavirus could kill 'millions' inside its borders

Here's a country with a poor health system that, so far, refuses to implement any common sense social distancing. Iran will be an interesting case study in how NOT to protect your population.

(Incidentally, Covid-19 is running rampant through their prison system, so the government decided to release 85,000 prisoners into the general population. )

Iran warns coronavirus could kill '''millions''' inside its borders | Fox News
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-17-2020, 07:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmjckp View Post
So what’s an acceptable death rate to you? This is uncharted territory. The U.S. has tested virtually nobody (I’ll let you all come to your own conclusions as to why that is). Are any of you who are complaining over the perceived media hysteria doctors or infectious disease experts? Have you listened to any interviews by (non-political) experts? If not, then please take the time to listen to a Mr. Michael Osterholm. He IS an infectious disease expert. He’s served his country in the last five presidential administrations including this one. If you actually listen to what the experts have to say and then still believe this pandemic is a hoax...good luck to you. You’re probably going to need it.
I don't think Dewilson58 is minimizing the number of people who die from Coronavirus. I think he is suggesting that it would be educational to report all the statistics associated with Coronavirus.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
When they close the bars I will know it is serious
Or when there run on liquor at liquor store. Could you imagine alcoholic with no thing to 🍷. Yes this includes the whino’s
Old 03-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
What kind of a question is this??

My post was asking for positive news.
Zero
Old 03-17-2020, 11:27 PM
Default Be prepared - some simple ideas

Some are giving advice on how to prepare for taking care of yourself in case you do get sick and that hospital bed is not available - worth finding and listening to it. (Dr Amy Compton-Phillips has some good advice ... monitor your own oxygen levels and also temperature)

For those who still don't believe, Italy are a little ahead of the curve. It may be worth taking a trip over there and explaining to them how this is all a hoax and just unnecessary panic.

They say the problem is that pandemics only come once per generation or so, so by the time the next one comes around the lessons have been lost. It certainly seems that way today.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=skarra;1729178]Some are giving advice on how to prepare for taking care of yourself in case you do get sick and that hospital bed is not available - worth finding and listening to it. (Dr Amy Compton-Phillips has some good advice ... monitor your own oxygen levels and also temperature)

For those who still don't believe, Italy are a little ahead of the curve. It may be worth taking a trip over there and explaining to them how this is all a hoax and just unnecessary panic.

They say the problem is that pandemics only come once per generation or so, so by the time the next one comes around the lessons have been lost. It certainly seems that way today.

It is very simple and can be done in 5 minutes. If you need beds there are huge amounts of hotels that are very empty. There are cruise ships that are empty. Yes there will need to be modifications and other considerations but if our anointed politicians can not think on their feet they need to get out of the way.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Great time to get outside and start walking around the neighborhood. Each day walk a little farther. Keep yourself healthy.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:39 AM

It is very simple and can be done in 5 minutes. If you need beds there are huge amounts of hotels that are very empty. There are cruise ships that are empty. Yes there will need to be modifications and other considerations but if our anointed politicians can not think on their feet they need to get out of the way.[/QUOTE]

It's not the "beds" that are needed: it's the medical equipment.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
It is very simple and can be done in 5 minutes. If you need beds there are huge amounts of hotels that are very empty. There are cruise ships that are empty. Yes there will need to be modifications and other considerations but if our anointed politicians can not think on their feet they need to get out of the way.
[/QUOTE]It's not the "beds" that are needed: it's the medical equipment. [/QUOTE]

================================================== =============
Health care professionals are needed to go along with those beds and medical equipment.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

This pandemic is serious and everyone should follow CDC and state guidelines.
That being said, I still feel the media is hyping the problem and adding to the panic. Every day they post the number of US deaths on the screen, but without any comparison----I wish they would put up the numbers as below:

COVID-19 deaths---------------150
Influenza deaths------------18,000
Death total-----------------588,708

In the US as of this morning

Doesn't mean don't take CV seriously, but presenting the data in this fashion puts a whole different perspective on it.

Oh, and yes, before some "expert" points it out, I am aware that total deaths and influenza deaths are a fairly stable number, and CV is on the ascending limb of the curve.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Three weeks from now the Chicken Littles will be wondering what to do with their 100 rolls of toilet paper, 5 gallons of milk, 20 pounds of potatos, etc.etc.

Never thought TV..with so many educated people, would fall for mass hysteria like this.

Just told my cats...they will be dinner in a month
This post will not age well. The United States is ahead of the curve that Italy was on as cases have effectively doubled in just two days.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-19-2020, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

In the end when all #s are in I hope I'm right .....It happened one other time ..
This will be equivalent of Y 2K that cost us Millions and Millions ...If not were screwed

Tags
died, 20, 000, reaction, coronavirus, newspapers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.