Massey pest control vs do it yourself

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Gold member
Default Massey pest control vs do it yourself

Seems to me I can do just as good a job as Massey when it comes to pest control and prevention. Have had them since we purchased our house. We wanted to continue what the previous owner already had in place. But now after watching them, it looks to me like I could easily do this.
Any thoughts about this? What applications are needed and when? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Seems to me I can do just as good a job as Massey when it comes to pest control and prevention. Have had them since we purchased our house. We wanted to continue what the previous owner already had in place. But now after watching them, it looks to me like I could easily do this.
Any thoughts about this? What applications are needed and when? Thanks in advance.
My son was in this business for a long time and I had the same feeling until I spoke to him. You, being unlicensed, cannot buy the same strength chemicals they can so you cannot do the same job they do,while While they may come by and spray around your house every 2 or 3 months, you would have to spray multiple times per month and still would not get the same results.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

I thought that I had to have a pro and I had ants. Now that I diy no ants.

I use Taurus sc available from Amazon, four times a year. It's the stuff the pros use. Under ten bucks a year. It is the same active ingredient as frontline the stuff you use for fleas on dogs. You may have petted one this week.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You, being unlicensed, cannot buy the same strength chemicals they can
That is simply not true. That, sir, is a myth that should end with you. Name the pesticide and go to Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more. You will find it!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:07 PM
Soaring Eagle member

For termite protection I would use a professional. Main reason is the financial protection and the fact that we have a lot of termites in the South.

For other pests I have done my own. We did have a bug problem that we think came from some groceries (bugs in boxes) and that is when I started doing the spraying myself. No problem for years. I use a chemical that also does termites (extra "insurance") outside. Inside one that is safe on food. Now you can buy the chemicals in sprayers that have an electric pump attached. Pretty easy.
Try it for a year.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:14 PM

It;s kind of funny, most of us have owned other homes over the years maintained them very well. All of a sudden we move to the villages and we need all these experts telling us what were doing wrong??go to home depot and buy pest control, weed be gone
and water the s..t out of your lawn and you;ll be just fine . It will cost you no more then 200.00 bucks .put 30-8-1 on all lawns and shrubs,job done.................
Old 05-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowebar007 View Post
It;s kind of funny, most of us have owned other homes over the years maintained them very well. All of a sudden we move to the villages and we need all these experts telling us what were doing wrong??go to home depot and buy pest control, weed be gone
and water the s..t out of your lawn and you;ll be just fine . It will cost you no more then 200.00 bucks .put 30-8-1 on all lawns and shrubs,job done.................
It ain't the moving to TV...it is moving to FLORIDA.
The bugs and pests here are prevalent 365 days per year....and many more species.

DIY? To each his own! Not me!
Old 05-02-2018, 05:22 PM
Default What i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
As said by #5, I too used a pro for TERMITE PROTECTION the reason is if you do not and even if you never get termites, it will be difficult to sell your home and difficult to get a company to pick up expired termite protection.

Claims that a pro can use stronger chemicals. They have to CLAIM something.

I for one wonder that none of the people applying chemicals wear any protective equipment..
Old 05-02-2018, 05:35 PM
Default You perhaps don't realize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowebar007 View Post
There are some here who call a repair guy to change a light bulb.

RE: water the heck out of your lawn and 30-8-1 fertilizer.
WOW-first you need to read.
The recommended fertilizer would be NPK (NITROGEN=PHOSPHATE-POTASSIUM) IN A RATIO OF 1-0-1 COMMONLY AVAILABLE IS 15-0-15. The reason you need to water sooooo much is because you are applying too much nitrogen Phosphate-have a soil test done the soil here is loaded with it and it is polluting the water.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

There is some misinformation in some of the posts above. First of all, there are very few "experts" who come to your house to sell you on their pest control contract. Call them salespeople if you like, but for the most part, it is simply a job and you hope that they at least got some basic training. Keep your fingers crossed that they know what they are talking about; most of them are simply on commission and can be pushy.

Here I go again, like a broken record . . . . .

Residents DO NOT need a service contract nor does anyone need routine pest control. If you have a problem, treat the problem when you have one. There is no "safe" pest control chemical. The word chemical should be a clue. These chemicals leech into the ground and subsequently ground water. Why can't the residents understand the damage that is being done???

You also do not need routine "termite protection," i.e. spraying/treatment. You heard me! If you are uneasy about it, have a termite inspection every year-and-a-half to two years or so. There are too many varieties of termites. They can't protect you from all of them and don't let these companies tell you they can. They just want your money.

I moved to Florida in 1983, never had termites and only had a flea issue twice since then (from my dogs) and a periodic ant problem. I took care of it myself and saved tons of money over the years and still had/have peach of mind. If you have one roach a month (and you probably don't and won't unless you live in a pigpen), that is not an infestation or even a problem. These are easily handled by the homeowner.

Don't let these pest control companies or even your friends and neighbors put the fear of God in you, telling you you have to spray regularly. You don't!
Old 05-02-2018, 07:28 PM
Platinum member

I say to each his own. I prefer to have Massey for our pest control. We have had the same person for three years. She knows our house and takes good care of it. When we had a problem with wasps trying to build a hive under the siding, we called Massey and they took care if it. When we has a hornet’s nest in one of our shrubs, we called Massey and they got rid of it. Starting to see a pattern here?

If someone wants to do thier own pest control, more power to them, but me, I would prefer to let someone else take care of it for me.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 PM
Default Sorry to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
My son was in this business for a long time and I had the same feeling until I spoke to him. You, being unlicensed, cannot buy the same strength chemicals they can so you cannot do the same job they do,while While they may come by and spray around your house every 2 or 3 months, you would have to spray multiple times per month and still would not get the same results.
It cost me $22.00 to purchase 2 gallons of home defense, that’ll last me 12 months or 4 treatments. Massey will try to up sell you on everything by using fear tactics which seems to work well in the villages. I do my property every 10 weeks and have no issues with pest. And I know that the job is done right.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
It cost me $22.00 to purchase 2 gallons of home defense, that’ll last me 12 months or 4 treatments. Massey will try to up sell you on everything by using fear tactics which seems to work well in the villages. I do my property every 10 weeks and have no issues with pest. And I know that the job is done right.
I will say that Home Defense is a great product, indoor or outdoor use, it works for me.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Gold member

Been here 11 years and previous 10 years in SC. Never hired a pest control company. Never had bugs. Use Home Defence every few months around perimeter. Oh and we use glue boards around openings like the corners of garage door.
Old 05-03-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Funny you guys bring up the Bug Subject today. I heard screams from the kitchen this morning that made we think we found The Green River Strangler. Upon investigation, it turned out to be two Humongous Palmetto Bugs. I had a fresh gallon of some bug spray and the new sprayer ready to go on the workbench for the last month or so. It doesn't work to good unless you open and apply the stuff. Anyway, we called out 5 J's exterminating 352-753-2547 and they were here in an hour since I called in a 4 Star time to Go To The Mattresses Emergency. Quick and easy. Done in an hour and Either $50 or $60 bucks. We are alive and fine. My wife associates these bugs with the house not being spotless. I just go along with it to tired of fighting city hall. Any explanation to her will not work. The guy is coming quarterly.

I like what villerjack says & thinks but I waited to long and now we have another on the payroll. Damn.
Closed Thread

Tags
massey, pest, control, advance, watching

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.