Mattress choices: outside the bubble

Old 05-02-2024, 08:24 PM
Default Mattress choices: outside the bubble

Hi all,

An older thread on mattress and base choices is now closed. Seeking a 2024 update

Ref: Mattress

New king mattress:
1) Assume most now don't use a box spring but have adjustable base. Do you really use it?

2) Currently have BeautyRest black. Happy with that. Not crazy about mattresses in a box.

3) Local stores near the Villages?
Old 05-02-2024, 09:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Local mattress stores prices were outrageous when we moved here just over 4 years ago.

Purchased a very good one at Sams and still happy with it.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,032 Times in 1,024 Posts

go with a sleep number. yes, it costs more, but-- your mattress will not sag, need to be flipped, or uncomfy in any way. they last forever. i too had the black beautyrest & loved it until after the 1st year. it was lumpy & its not meant to be flipped, it crushes the pillowtop & the underside is worse than a fold out sofa. Select Comfort has a store on 441, good luck with whatever you find!!
Old 05-03-2024, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,638 Times in 3,158 Posts

Love our SleepNumber. We got it when we lived up north, maybe 10 years ago? We got the C4, which is a lower-end version without a lot of doodads and what-nots. No leaks, no crush, no sagging, no changes in quality.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:10 PM

OP,
Just an FYI, the latest Consumer Reports Mag had a very nice review of mattresses, such as different options and rating for each option. thank you
Old 05-03-2024, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,860 Times in 5,307 Posts

Tempur-pedic is a scam. I went to the company store in Brownwood, and asked them for the latest Tempur-Breeze mattress. They showed me the mattress, but I found a mattress on Amazon with the exact same name for $600 less. The guy said that their mattress is a newer version and that it has been improved. So, I asked him what is the model number of the latest mattress? He said that they sell mattresses buy name only, with no model number. Then, I asked how do I know that I will be getting the newer version if there is no model number, and they both have the same name and no model number? He said that you don't. I contacted the corporate office and got the same answer. Is that any way to sell a product?
Old 05-03-2024, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Our sleep number is 17yo. Top of the line then for $900.
Internal bladder replaced @ 10years old by company. Replaced zipper topper 2 years ago. Had been cleaned every year, but wasn’t as fluffy.

Model today that is comparable is over $8,000. When we need to replace it will be another SN.

Have Purple in one bedroom, avocado, in another, Black beauty in another. Box mattress even though they are in guest rooms haven’t held up as well as hoped
Old 05-03-2024, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,222 Times in 5,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Tempur-pedic is a scam. I went to the company store in Brownwood, and asked them for the latest Tempur-Breeze mattress. They showed me the mattress, but I found a mattress on Amazon with the exact same name for $600 less. The guy said that their mattress is a newer version and that it has been improved. So, I asked him what is the model number of the latest mattress? He said that they sell mattresses buy name only, with no model number. Then, I asked how do I know that I will be getting the newer version if there is no model number, and they both have the same name and no model number? He said that you don't. I contacted the corporate office and got the same answer. Is that any way to sell a product?
The entire mattress industry is a scam. Different stores will get the same model but each stores gets the mattress with a different name to make it impossible to compare prices.

Tags
mattress, base, choices, box, mattresses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.