Lifestyle Visit this spring.. Not golfers (yet)..

Old 02-14-2024, 05:01 PM
Post Lifestyle Visit this spring.. Not golfers (yet)..

We are not golfers... well not until we watched the video on "Pitch & Putt" that looks fun to both of us... We are considering the move for the amenities, the type of socializing we like, clubs, and rec center activities. We maybe looking at this backwards not looking for a house first... But we already have a nice house, so we just dont want to trade one nice house & move for another nice house..It really is the community and the closeness to activities we like is our main reasons we want to relocate. I have had homes in 2 golf communities before & I got looks like WHAT, You dont golf ?. I just dont think my back & knees could take it..I digress. We watch videos everyday to see all the Rec centers & squares to find what we really like.. Sumter Landing seems to have mature trees and landscaping, the quick food, drinks and small shops, the evening dance music & festivals that interest us. So with the development moving south, after our first visit- when its hot, and we are agree with ourselves that is where we want to be- we will start looking for homes just a little south of Sumter Landing maybe in the Virginia Trace or Sunset Pointe areas. Then a winter 2nd visit when it is crowded possible to look around again or buy a home. Wherever we end up.... The beaches & fishing are my hidden agendas for moving..and if I remember my visit to Orlando.... y'all have cleaner air.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:25 PM
Veteran member

I think you are on the right track. Buy a home that suits your lifestyle. That is the key! Purchasing a home and then trying to fit in can be complicated. This is one of the reasons many Villagers move an average of 3 times. We moved to the southern area for a few years. Recently, we moved back to the Northern area. Our life is MUCH better because we are surrounded by people and places that fit our preferred lifestyle. The Villages offers something for EVERYONE. You simply have to find your happy place.

Last edited by Randall55; 02-14-2024 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
We are not golfers... well not until we watched the video on "Pitch & Putt" that looks fun to both of us... We are considering the move for the amenities, the type of socializing we like, clubs, and rec center activities. We maybe looking at this backwards not looking for a house first... But we already have a nice house, so we just dont want to trade one nice house & move for another nice house..It really is the community and the closeness to activities we like is our main reasons we want to relocate. I have had homes in 2 golf communities before & I got looks like WHAT, You dont golf ?. I just dont think my back & knees could take it..I digress. We watch videos everyday to see all the Rec centers & squares to find what we really like.. Sumter Landing seems to have mature trees and landscaping, the quick food, drinks and small shops, the evening dance music & festivals that interest us. So with the development moving south, after our first visit- when its hot, and we are agree with ourselves that is where we want to be- we will start looking for homes just a little south of Sumter Landing maybe in the Virginia Trace or Sunset Pointe areas. Then a winter 2nd visit when it is crowded possible to look around again or buy a home. Wherever we end up.... The beaches & fishing are my hidden agendas for moving..and if I remember my visit to Orlando.... y'all have cleaner air.
Lifestyle visits are geared for new construction. They have very little incentive to show you the established mature areas. In fact their agents can only sell properties they list. If you have an interest in buying a re-sell you will need to get an MLS agent involved.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:17 AM

Agreed... BUT accommodations AND a Cart for $99 bucks a day cant be beat.. Plus having our car we can cover alot of areas in 5 days. After the 2nd visit in Tourist season and we are sure TV fits us THEN we will start looking at individual houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Lifestyle visits are geared for new construction. They have very little incentive to show you the established mature areas. In fact their agents can only sell properties they list. If you have an interest in buying a re-sell you will need to get an MLS agent involved.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,735 Times in 988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
Agreed... BUT accommodations AND a Cart for $99 bucks a day cant be beat.. Plus having our car we can cover alot of areas in 5 days. After the 2nd visit in Tourist season and we are sure TV fits us THEN we will start looking at individual houses.
You also have the option of renting in different areas, for longer periods of time, to see how those areas suit your needs.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,669 Times in 976 Posts

We thought we wanted to buy in LSL. We rented near there a few times (in Virginia Trace). Ended up buying by Brownwood.

Take your time, visit, and spend time if different areas.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,775 Times in 1,567 Posts

Sounds like you are doing it right; planning to experience not only different areas but different times of the year. Even though the physical surroundings are similar, January compared to July in TV are very different.

To be honest though, our favorite season here is the hot one. Fewer people, tee times easier to get (even though you don't golf now, it may be a consideration in the future), little or no problem getting into your favorite restaurants, less crowded in the evenings at the squares, etc. Don't get me wrong. It's all good. But summers IMO are just a bit better.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
We thought we wanted to buy in LSL. We rented near there a few times (in Virginia Trace). Ended up buying by Brownwood.

Take your time, visit, and spend time if different areas.
Great advice.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,735 Times in 988 Posts

Many of the villages, IMO, are interchangeable as far as the lifestyle experience. Especially between 466 and 466A. The differences between Largo, Duval, Poinciana, St. Charles are small, if they exist at all. This is probably also true of many of the villages north of 466, and south of 466A, although since I haven't lived or rented in those areas I can't personally speak to that.
Where, I think, things get quite different is south of 44. Not better, not worse, but different.

IMO from what I've seen of The Villages' marketing, they stress in their advertising all of the things the newer areas have that don't exist north of 44, which are the pitch and putts, more walking and biking trails, and a variety of unique recreational opportunities available at various rec centers. What they don't explain in their marketing is the things that are really handy via golf cart north of 44, that are remote in the new areas: proximity to golf, or the squares being two obvious examples. Not only do they not emphasize the disparity, they show videos that make it appear that the lifestyle includes all of the benefits of the northern areas, PLUS all of the new stuff in the southern areas, when in fact it would be more honest and truthful to explain that it's a bit of a trade-off.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,414 Times in 4,385 Posts

Quote:
Villages agents can show plenty of re-sales, as long as they are listed on The Villages site...

But yes, getting an MLS agent as well can be helpful...

-Tom Petty
Old 02-16-2024, 06:30 AM
Veteran member

Good plan, come different seasons and long over a year or two period. Don’t buy on emotion like many do.

Final piece of advise, avoid most areas south of 44 especially along the turnpike.
Old 02-16-2024, 06:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,079 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Sounds like you are doing it right; planning to experience not only different areas but different times of the year. Even though the physical surroundings are similar, January compared to July in TV are very different.

To be honest though, our favorite season here is the hot one. Fewer people, tee times easier to get (even though you don't golf now, it may be a consideration in the future), little or no problem getting into your favorite restaurants, less crowded in the evenings at the squares, etc. Don't get me wrong. It's all good. But summers IMO are just a bit better.
Absolutely agree. While the weather here from November to May is generally fantastic, the lack of crowds in the warmer months trumps it. In fact, we tend to steer clear of the popular venues during snowbird season...they are simply too crowded for our taste.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:05 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,079 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
But remember...a Lifestyle Visit does not require one to spend any time with a sales agent if you choose not to. Plus, there is nothing wrong with stipulating that you are only interested in resales, or properties in a certain area. The better plan of attack, once ready to start a house hunt, is to have both a VLS and an MLS agent working for you.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:18 AM

Definitely get a real MLS agent! The Villages agents aren’t licensed MLS agents so do not have to abide by the state laws. They have their own agenda to push and it’s for the villages development not for you. I had a horrible experience with them and felt really taken advantage of. The MLS agents there know as much about the area and will listen to your needs and not push theirs.
Old 02-16-2024, 08:23 AM

We are not golfers either but like you we will likely buy the clubs and pitch and putt. We rented a month in Fenney with really not knowing much about the area...We loved it and bought in McClure, short cart ride to Brownwood, magnolia shopping and several nice rec centers. Much more building south east port and easier access to Sawgrass.

Tags
house, nice, visit, activities, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.