Self-driving cars "ideal" for TV?

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Question Self-driving cars "ideal" for TV?

While I can certainly see the advantage of having the ability to get a ride, when needed, in a retirement community (no vehicle/lost license/physical challenges/inebriation/etc.), I'm ambivalent...as it applies to TV.

Self-Driving Cars in The Villages Poke Here

Quote:
NEW TECHNOLOGIES, from the Walkman to the iPhone, have tended to be adopted first by the young. But when it comes to self-driving cars, the most logical early adopters are the retired.

That, at least, is the conclusion reached by Voyage, a startup based in Silicon Valley. It is testing its autonomous vehicles (AVs) in The Villages, a retirement community in Florida with a population of 125,000 people. Retirement towns are ideally suited to AVs for three reasons, says Oliver Cameron, Voyage’s CEO.

First, the environment is simpler and easier for an AV to navigate than a bustling city centre. Speed limits are lower, road layouts are less complex and there are fewer other vehicles. Second, there is strong demand for mobility. Active retirees want the ability to get around but they may not want the expense and hassle of owning a car. For residents who are unable or have lost the confidence to drive, summoning a vehicle when needed has obvious appeal.

Prototype AVs have attracted criticism and outright hostility from locals in some parts of America.

Voyage has been warmly welcomed in The Villages, says Mr Cameron.
"Simpler and easier," even with the plethora of roundabouts which so many 'live' drivers...have difficulties navigating?

"Warmly welcomed" by whom...and based on what?

Stay tuned...
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Perhaps the self driving cars are following me around, but when I lived in California 8 years ago I would occasionally see the tiny self driving Google cars. I went back to visit friends in my old neighborhood and now the company was spun off and called Waymo. They use SUVs like they use here and they are ubiquitous. The biggest complaint my friends had were the cars drive like senior citizens, very slow and cautiously. Apparently they have been very safe in the testing there.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:43 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Roundabout nightmare?
Old 02-22-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Roundabout nightmare?
That's my feeling.

I'm also thinking it will be an obvious and direct issue...not a roundabout one.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Let's see.....the cars will make decisions in milliseconds, the drivers stop first to figure it out then may change their mind. The cars will "see" blocks ahead, 360 degrees around them all at the same time, drivers don't have a clue. It won't be everyone, those that need control or fear technology or dislike change will continue to avoid. Unless they die first, they will be in minority within the next 10 - 15 years. Ford and GM have already announced their decision to stop investing in their automobile line and focus on electric and self driving. I will happily trust the technology rather than the bus driver, cab driver, limo driver, uber driver that requires me to ignorantly believe they are capable.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

Somebody on another thread asked how self-driving cars will handle gates. I suppose the passenger would have to reach out with a badge or push the red button, but would the car "know" where to stop to allow that if the passenger is sitting in a seat other than the drivers seat?

Also, I would think that self-driving cars get their directions from GPS applications. If so, good luck with that. My GPS really, really doesn't like the idea driving through a gated road and avoids them at all costs. If I'm coming up Morse from below 466 and wanting to go to Spanish Springs, I know I can just stay on Morse. My GPS insists that I take 466 clear over to 441 then go north and come back west to get to Spanish Springs from the north entrance near the golf cart bridge. Similarly, if I want to visit friends in Fenney, I know enough to get around. My GPS insists that most of the streets down there are actually non-existent. It thinks I'm driving around in fields.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Somebody on another thread asked how self-driving cars will handle gates. I suppose the passenger would have to reach out with a badge or push the red button, but would the car "know" where to stop to allow that if the passenger is sitting in a seat other than the drivers seat?

Also, I would think that self-driving cars get their directions from GPS applications. If so, good luck with that. My GPS really, really doesn't like the idea driving through a gated road and avoids them at all costs. If I'm coming up Morse from below 466 and wanting to go to Spanish Springs, I know I can just stay on Morse. My GPS insists that I take 466 clear over to 441 then go north and come back west to get to Spanish Springs from the north entrance near the golf cart bridge. Similarly, if I want to visit friends in Fenney, I know enough to get around. My GPS insists that most of the streets down there are actually non-existent. It thinks I'm driving around in fields.

Maybe you need a new GPS or need to update your maps? I have used Apple maps, Google Maps and Navigon and they all take me down Morse to Spanish Springs from Mallory CC area or Colony. Even the crappy, old & slow Sygic GPS in my Atomic Electric Cart radio goes that way. (I don't use them for directions but for their accurate speedometer). It is possible that on occasion there may be very heavy traffic on Morse north of 466 and it could reroute you but that hasn't happened to me as yet.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

There may be a setting that is causing the problem, like "avoid toll roads" MIGHT also avoid the gates, just a guess.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Let's see.....the cars will make decisions in milliseconds, the drivers stop first to figure it out then may change their mind. The cars will "see" blocks ahead, 360 degrees around them all at the same time, drivers don't have a clue. It won't be everyone, those that need control or fear technology or dislike change will continue to avoid. Unless they die first, they will be in minority within the next 10 - 15 years. Ford and GM have already announced their decision to stop investing in their automobile line and focus on electric and self driving.

I will happily trust the technology rather than the bus driver, cab driver, limo driver, uber driver that requires me to ignorantly believe they are capable.
But I think we're in the minority that trusts technology.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Rubber bumper cars
Old 02-23-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage

Why is everyone so anxious to put people out of work ?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM

I think I would trust self driving cars as a step up from some of the drivers we have here in The Villages.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
But I think we're in the minority that trusts technology.
I agree, but we moved rapidly to smartphones, GPS, online purchasing, online reservations and ticketing, automated tolling, autonomous airline control etc. I will agree that we avoid technology that we don't understand or distrust by opinion. We accept technology when someone proves it is to our advantage. The generations behind us are more accepting of concepts and that's the majority that are now moving here. I know my kids, and they are in their late 40's and early 50's, are excited by the autonomous driving programs across the country as well as the space program, undersea exploration and are excited for the world their kids (my grand kids) will live in. Of course that may because their Dad and grandfather is an early adopter of technology and it might have rubbed off

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

So how will it work? Will you call for a ride like a Taxi? Use an APP on your phone like Uber/Lyft? What will be the cost, and if not less expensive why?
Old 02-25-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
So how will it work? Will you call for a ride like a Taxi? Use an APP on your phone like Uber/Lyft? What will be the cost, and if not less expensive why?
There will be a APP just like Uber/Lyft, the only difference is that there will be no driver.

Elon Musk says that anyone with a self driving car like a Tesla can make make money by making their car available as a taxi when they are not using it. Say you are at work and don't need you car from 9:30AM until 4:30PM... you tell the APP your car is available for use as a taxi, and when you look out the window into the parking lot you may see you car driving itself away to pick up a fare.

But cars that actually drive themselves, what NHSTA calls level 5 automation, are probably 10 years away. Right now the only level 2 automation is being sold.

BTW a level 2 car, like Tesla, BMW, Cadillac and others have, are really terrific and make driving more comfortable but they are not self driving cars.

Automated Vehicles for Safety | NHTSA

There are some places that are adapting cars to a particular environment, like the Villages, but they need highly detailed mapping and environment info to work... they can not find there way around an area that they haven't been "taught about" in detail first. These are not cars the drive themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
avs, retirement, warmly, voyage, vehicles

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.