Meggison Safety Issues

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2023, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
Exactly….. yesterday while driving my golf cart from Conley toward Sawgrass, there was a Wildwood officer parked maybe 200 ft (plus or minus) on the grass south of the gate watching the traffic go through that gate . He was parked far enough away to be unnoticed until AFTER passing past the gate.

I pulled off the MMP in order to watch to see if he was there to give tickets for blowing through the temporary stop signs at the gate.

Guess what …….NOT ONE SINGLE CAR STOPPED WHILE GOING THROUGH THE GATE !

I watched for about one minute or so and the police officer DID NOT STOP ANY CARS blowing the stop sign. I watched at least a dozen or more cars go by .

Here is my take on it …..

Those temporary stop signs we see at many gates are placed there by Community Watch (in other words, The Villages)

I honestly believe that they are not enforceable (summons wise) as they are not placed there by proper authorities….

I also agree with another poster that a viable solution would be is to turn the walking path between Conley and the Citrus gate into a MMP.

That short paved walking area is actually wider than some of the MMP’s that go behind Fenney towards the Chitty Chatty Bridge over 44
Very risky situation. It's the wild wild west down there. Still mostly no one stopping, and then racing to cut each other off at the cart crossing.

Vehicles, espically construction with trailer's doing 50+ on Megason.

It does look like the walking path was designed for carts.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:15 AM
Gold member

We have to wait until there is a fatal accident at that crossing before the County does anything...Any volunteers?
Old 05-26-2023, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
In the Southern area, there are nice walking/biking paths, so there is no need to walk in the roads or the dreaded MMPs.
I love all the walking paths down here but if you want to walk to a destination, you do have to use the MMP’s.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
if you want to walk to a destination, you do have to use the MMP’s.
When we walk, we do it because we enjoy it. If we need to reach a destination, we drive one of our cars.

However, the MMPs are nice to have. A couple days ago, I was leaving Osceola Hills in the morning and the exit gate would not open. I just turned right onto the MMP, drove up to the entrance to Burnsed Rec Center, turned left to get onto Deskin, and then drove to my doctor's appointment.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:01 AM

I can’t walk near the ponds because the deer flies are biting big time!
Old 05-26-2023, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
We have to wait until there is a fatal accident at that crossing before the County does anything...Any volunteers?
I would not want to be the engineer(s) who designed/signed off on the design during a civil deposition for an injury/death case.

Or the public officials finger pointing, ignoring the hazard while approving funds to keep golf carts from parking on the grass...

I'm sure a cost effective revision could be developed given the brain power that designs this place.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	98634  
Old 05-27-2023, 04:53 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
The other paper has an article called “Meggison Safety Issues”. In it residents express their displeasure of traffic safety issues now and the thought of the Bexley Bridge opening soon (opens this summer). The logistical nightmare has set in with the popularity of Sawgrass Grove and the necessity for crossing of golf carts etc at the Citrus Grove gate where no one seems to stop. It’s a crap shoot at best to make it across at times with a bicycle or golf cart because, well frankly no one slows down or stops!

Why didn’t the “Developer” foresee this calamity? Obviously at this point, the best thing to do would be to put in a gate shack like they did in Pinellas or Belle Meade. I wonder if the dollar has taken precedence over any concern whatsoever to the sustainability of the community?

https://www.**************.com/
Why should the cars have to slow or stop when they have the right-of-way after stopping at the gate? I have crossed Meggison at the Citrus Grove gate almost daily and never have a safety problem. My secret: I look both ways and never pull out in front of a moving vehicle. These entitled cart drivers are impatient & just do not want to wait until the roadway is clear.
Old 05-27-2023, 05:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Cart merge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
Why should the cars have to slow or stop when they have the right-of-way after stopping at the gate? I have crossed Meggison at the Citrus Grove gate almost daily and never have a safety problem. My secret: I look both ways and never pull out in front of a moving vehicle. These entitled cart drivers are impatient & just do not want to wait until the roadway is clear.
Carts unfortunately are mandated to merge with automobiles at the very same place where there is also a cart crossing for lateral movement of other cart traffic .

It appears cars speed up where there they are required to slow down for gates that aren’t always there. Cars and carts should both be doing 20 mph, but car speeds aren’t enforced (at least not enough). Both the golf cart that is forced to move into the automobile lane and the car contest for a spot required by both for movement.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Closed Thread

Tags
safety, golf, gate, grove, issues

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.