Meggison Safety Issues

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2023, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
If you are not familiar with the roads and paths south of 44, I doubt I can give an explanation that will make sense to you. It would be better for you to drive down there and see how wonderful it is.

There are plenty of walking/biking paths alongside the roads and I can't understand why anyone would ever consider walking on an MMP.
As long as you can walk on a walking path to get from point A to point B, in the same way you can use an MMP to do that, then I agree. But if the walking paths are limited in their function - and can only get you through a pretty area, but you have to leave the walking path and go onto a street or MMP to get to the nearest store, then - there's your answer "why" anyone would ever consider walking on an MMP.

I'm sure it's wonderful, I'm not criticizing it. You asked a question. I answered it, given my limited understanding of the situation down there.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Because where there is an MMP there is rarely a walking path. The choice is usually between walking on the MMP with golf carts going 29mph or walking on the road with cars and trucks going 40mph.
Yeah, I think you are right about there not being a walking path when there is an MMP.

In the Northern area, the 40 mph roads like Pinellas and Moyer have a crummy little sidewalk one foot away from the cart lane. In the Southern area, the 40 mph roads like Fenney way, Marsh Bend Trail (above warm Springs Road), and Meggison (past Sawgrass) have wide walking/biking paths several feet away from the roadway.

On Sunday we took a nice bike ride through Lake Denham and the new paths are great.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

So to help me clear up a confusion on my part. To my understanding from the day we moved here all aspects of the traffic design of county roads and contact with mixing modes of transportation must meet requirements of Florida Department of Transportation and has nothing to do with the Morse clan. Correct?
Old 05-10-2023, 07:53 PM

It’s a MULTI-modal path meaning multiple modes of travel and walking is a mode of transportation. Deal with it! 🤦🏼
Old 05-10-2023, 08:03 PM

I think the walking path that goes from Rouddel to the Citrus Grove crossing needs to be made into a MMP before someone in a cart gets crunched by cars. Very few people are on that walking path. It was a big mistake for Cason Hammock residents to have to cross here to get home. I've seen many carts just cut across and go around the roundabout at St. Catherine on the street rather than cross in Citrus Grove.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
It’s a MULTI-modal path meaning multiple modes of travel and walking is a mode of transportation. Deal with it!
Yes, I can deal with it by never walking on an MMP.

Last edited by VApeople; 05-10-2023 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisport View Post
I think the walking path that goes from Rouddel to the Citrus Grove crossing needs to be made into a MMP before someone in a cart gets crunched by cars. Very few people are on that walking path.
We use that walking path on occasion.

Quote:
It was a big mistake for Cason Hammock residents to have to cross here to get home.
I completely agree.

Quote:
I've seen many carts just cut across and go around the roundabout at St. Catherine on the street rather than cross in Citrus Grove.
If I owned a golf cart and had the misfortune to live in Cason Hammock, I would probably do the same thing.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I think you are right about there not being a walking path when there is an MMP.

In the Northern area, the 40 mph roads like Pinellas and Moyer have a crummy little sidewalk one foot away from the cart lane. In the Southern area, the 40 mph roads like Fenney way, Marsh Bend Trail (above warm Springs Road), and Meggison (past Sawgrass) have wide walking/biking paths several feet away from the roadway.

On Sunday we took a nice bike ride through Lake Denham and the new paths are great.
Moyer Loop and Pinellas DO NOT have 40 mph speed limits. They are posted at 30 mph...

I'm pretty sure it's the same with Fenney Way and Marsh Bend Trail...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-10-2023, 10:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Moyer Loop and Pinellas DO NOT have 40 mph speed limits. They are posted at 30 mph...

I'm pretty sure it's the same with Fenney Way and Marsh Bend Trail...
Of course you are correct.

I was responding to post #14 where the guy mentioned trucks driving 40 mph and I responded in kind.
Old 05-11-2023, 04:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you are not familiar with the roads and paths south of 44, I doubt I can give an explanation that will make sense to you. It would be better for you to drive down there and see how wonderful it is.

There are plenty of walking/biking paths alongside the roads and I can't understand why anyone would ever consider walking on an MMP.
Not true. There are many times you have to use the mmp because there is no alternative. Here are some examples:
If I was walking from sawgrass to any of the villages south of Meggison I’d have to use the mmp.

If I wanted to walk to aviary rec ctr, or to Hawkins, from St Catherine, mmp is my only option.

Walk from aviary to anywhere you need to use mmp
Old 05-11-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
The other paper has an article called “Meggison Safety Issues”. In it residents express their displeasure of traffic safety issues now and the thought of the Bexley Bridge opening soon (opens this summer). The logistical nightmare has set in with the popularity of Sawgrass Grove and the necessity for crossing of golf carts etc at the Citrus Grove gate where no one seems to stop. It’s a crap shoot at best to make it across at times with a bicycle or golf cart because, well frankly no one slows down or stops!

Why didn’t the “Developer” foresee this calamity? Obviously at this point, the best thing to do would be to put in a gate shack like they did in Pinellas or Belle Meade. I wonder if the dollar has taken precedence over any concern whatsoever to the sustainability of the community?

https://www.**************.com/

One possible solution would be to put in a stoplight at the golf cart crossing, like they have up at Colony for golf cart traffic going north and south on Morse. It was really very poor planning at this location, there should have been a tunnel to cross Meggison.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Because where there is an MMP there is rarely a walking path. The choice is usually between walking on the MMP with golf carts going 29mph or walking on the road with cars and trucks going 40mph.
How true!! At least lately, the Wildwood Police have been ticketing speeding golf carts and cars. Glad to see it happening!!
Old 05-11-2023, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Meggison south of Sawgrass will get some relief once the Bridge and McNeill are in place.

McNeill will be a 4 lane regional road and the fastest path to 470/Turnpike.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5828.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	98334  
Old 05-11-2023, 06:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Not true. There are many times you have to use the mmp because there is no alternative. Here are some examples:
If I was walking from sawgrass to any of the villages south of Meggison I’d have to use the mmp.
What "villages south of Meggison" are you referring to? I don't think the MMP goes south of Sawgrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post

If I wanted to walk to aviary rec ctr, or to Hawkins, from St Catherine, mmp is my only option.

Walk from aviary to anywhere you need to use mmp
Yeah, that is when we stop walking and drive our car.

When St. Cats was being built, we would park at Aviary, cross Morse on foot, and walk through St. Cats, but we do not do that anymore. We love the walking trail around the swamp in Hawkins. We park our car at the pool and go from there.
Old 05-11-2023, 06:51 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts

I just don't get it. I cross Meggison all the time at that "dangerous" intersection everyone seems to complain about and have never had a problem. It is only dangerous if the cart driver pulls out in front of a moving vehicle. Most of the complainers are just too impatient (entitled) to wait until the roadway is clear. If you cannot navigate Meggison safely & easily, as I do almost daily, then it is time to turn in your driver's license.
Closed Thread

Tags
safety, golf, gate, grove, issues

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.