Mental "Reservations" About TV? If you had any, how'd they work out?

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2020, 10:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
In the beginning, Florida was in our “NO WAY” list - too hot, too humid, too many bugs, too far from family, and - OMG it’s ‘the south’.

We had done extensive research in VA (to be near the kids & grandkids) visiting at least 5 different retirement communities that promised “activities” yet had no one was swimming, no one was in the rec centers, no one was playing billiards, etc. Also did some research in NC with same results. We finally visited The Villages (strange name) just to be sure the hype was as false as the hype in VA & NC.

Initially we were impressed with well-kept landscaping, the town squares, the pools (I’m a lap swimmer). We visited a 2nd time in August to check out the weather – surprisingly tolerable and enjoyed the pool, read about the clubs, & were impressed by all the golf opportunities although we had never golfed & we ran into TONS of friendly, happy, social people.

No place had the options, the services, the opportunities that TV did. In Dec 2018 we bought the kool-aid. ASOLUTELY NO REGRETS. Not everything is perfect – we’re in DeSoto & planned connectivity hasn’t materialized, local grocery store isn’t here yet, medical options less than hoped for, etc. BUT we have great neighbors, tremendous options for activities, have taken golf lessons, tried to learn bridge (& failed), bought bikes & enjoyed many rides, learned pickleball & play twice a week (some folks play 5 days a week it’s so addictive!), swim my laps, hubby is now involved with genealogy, we enjoy terrific sunsets and clear night skies for star gazing, no inside bugs, humidity actually feels good on my aging skin, etc. Life has never been better.
WOW! Thanks for the extensive reply. Actually, it's my wife that needs convincing! So far, she's simply resigned to supporting "my wishes".
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-03-2020, 10:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys37Packard View Post
Snow birds for 4 years, permanent now for 6 months. Wish we came sooner. Neighbors are wonderful, so much to do or not do. With as many people that are here, Jan. Thru March, you are bound to see a few rude people but I don’t give them a second thought. I won’t let them ruin my day. I let them cut in, double park, or whatever, because in a few seconds we will part ways and they can move on with their hollow lives. Life is too short. I am not a gourmet chef, so there are plenty of places we like to eat at, some we will pass on, but again, if my napkin isn’t remolded when I come back from the bathroom, it’s not the end of the world. 😜. So love this place.
Thanks Denny!
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-04-2020, 05:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
A small handful of years away from retirement (or one bad day at work!)... Curious for a perspective from newcomers, or actually any villager I suppose, how your pre-move mental reservations about life in TV lined up with what you've experienced after moving? Is it what you thought or hoped for? Were your mental "reservations" confirmed or proven otherwise?

"Our" perspective would be from a mid 50's couple... healthy, active, very social, love to travel the world. MY personal retirement FEAR is boredom, and not living a full, active life in retirement. We'd both like to keep busy and give back /volunteer where and when able. (No grands yet as our kids are only in their early 20's.)

We appreciate any insight anyone would care to share. Thanks...
Rent for 6months/year. if you find all OK, then buy.
Nothing lost if you don't like the place.
Been 'birding here for 20+ years, after trying other over 55+ communities.
IMHO TV is by far the best, and the few negatives are far outweighed by the positives.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:57 AM

Moved here 10 years ago. I was 53 wife was 57. Surpassed our expectations. You will not be bored unless you want to be. Got into pickleball which is awesome. Hardest part was leaving the grandchildren but we are still here. Guess it’s not that hard.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:00 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B767drvr View Post
WOW! Thanks for the extensive reply. Actually, it's my wife that needs convincing! So far, she's simply resigned to supporting "my wishes".
Yeah, that can be a problem.

We know of several couples who have moved here but the wife didn't like being away from her family, so they left and moved back to where they had come from.

In our case, our grandchildren were teenagers and we were not as involved in their lives as when they were younger, so it was easier to leave them behind and move to Florida. We have been here four years and love it. We feel like teenagers ourselves.

Good luck making the right decision for you.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:12 AM

If you are bored in The Villages it is of your own doing. You have enough opportunity to do fun things, volunteer opportunities are many. You will have the time to travel the world. So don't hesitate to move. We have been here 22 plus years. Have seen it grow but enjoy all that the growth has given. So come enjoy you will not regret it.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:32 AM

You cannot be bored in the Villages. So many things to do. On the negative side of things, the villages has become a hot bed for politics. If you are a republican you will fit right in. You can fly your trump flags and ride around in your painted golf carts.
And of course, traffic. It is bad now but it will get worse.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I will say you can take 3 classes a day, play 2 rounds of golf, but you still have 16 hours left in the day. You will find those in lates 60s and up, do not have a problem with boredom. If you are are extremely active, yes there are more hours in the day than activity’s to fill your day.
If your wife is coming to make you happy think twice.

Rent a home for a year, so you can be here for over flowing winter congestion, summer when it’s blazing hot. May save your marriage if you do
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

move to another senior community ! we live in Pennbrooke - cheaper and nice people !
Old 03-04-2020, 04:11 PM
Veteran member

Why do you think there are so many who drink to excess here ?
Old 03-04-2020, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barborv View Post
About 8-9 years ago , 1 of the women at work bought a home at Sun city Hilton Head. She was still going to be working for 3-4 more years. She said they are renting it till she retires. Telling me what a great investment it was. Soooo...that put the thought in my head. My husband and I took 2 weeks in the summer and drove from NY to Sun city Hilton head(visited with my past coworker who was now retired)and by the way, she moved from there and went somewhere else,. and then Florida and visited communities that I researched on 55 places.com and also from an ideal living showcase . We went to quite a few Del Webb communities, etc. After about 2 or 3 communities, I started telling the realtors, show me the life style first,and then I'll chose a house that I like. The next summer we drove again hitting a lot of communities on the East coast, crossing over to the West Coast and making our way up. We visited Solivita,other Dell Webbs, Sun City by Tampa, etc. I must of visited over 30+ communities. Did the stay and play at some.Before our last stop to the Villages before heading home we looked at On top of the World . I thought I liked their version of their tiny town square. But I was looking for more. Solivita was nice(still no comparison to TV)but didn't know TV yet. Our last stop was The Villages. Had a realtor take us around showing us all the amenities the town squares (only two at tht time)and the life style.I was in ore! THEN, showed me some possibilities for purchase. Our biggest concern at the time was if we would be able to rent it for the next 7 or 8 years till we retire. She was so positive and non pushy, and even told us to think about it and next time come back for another visit. Well, we thought about it that night staying at the Marriot in Spanish Springs, and there was an excitement in us about the community and I knew this is the place! With that being said, not only did I find a long term tenant who is still there today but we wound up purchasing another a few years later for investment. Over the years I come down to TV bringing family and friends and having a blast. I go to a lot of the clubs, restaurants and shows galore. Of course I'm on a mini vacation when I come. We are in the process of buying my home now that we will leave in when we retire in 2-3 years when we are 62 and 63. I keep counting the days!! There is no where else I rather spend my retirement. I have friends who say, but what about the grandkids, blah,blah, blah. (don't get me wrong. All my children and grandchildren are my world)! But they can come visit and have a blast here. Already thinking about what activities I want to do with the grandchildren at the villages camp, etc. Some of these other communities I visited, I think I would shoot myself if I lived there. Some of the older ones even felt like nursing homes. I love the idea that you still feel like you're in a community where you have the young and old all around you. I know some of my friends say, there is so much to do where I live (Long Island, NY). Yes there is .but not to much of a desire . Everything is so , how should I put it, YUCKY! I love the ambiance and feel and beauty of the Villages. Its just so calming and beautiful. I know some people say about rude people etc, but That's everywhere. I work in a great school with mostly great people who are like family. And of course there are a few ****heads!LOL You have to feel sorry for these people because they are so miserable inside that they
don't or can't be happy or pleasant.
Well, that's my take on this! And as I always say, Everyday in the Villages is like a vacation Day!!!
Enjoy life everyone, and cherish yourself and all the positive people in your life too.
Thanks so much, Barborv, for sharing all of your research and conclusions! I do appreciate it.
Old 03-04-2020, 05:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Why do you think there are so many who drink to excess here?

Old 03-04-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Really?
Measured by what? Who?
Old 03-04-2020, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
All day happy hours where the booze is cheap?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-04-2020, 10:38 PM
Default Mental Reservations

A big personal decision for sure. Nobody talked about the people. When you reach the golden years you want to be around people that are approximately - give or take - the same age. Similar interests and struggles. Gen X or Y or Z or whatever wont give you the time of day because of age discrimination. When you are surrounded by people of your age group it is easier to relate and develop relationships. I am not an owner at TV but am very interested and have read quite a bit and viewed countless videos. I understand TV have softball. If you lived elsewhere and tried to compete with a city or county team it would be difficult to keep up with the young athletes of 30 - 55! My point in this rambling is to not forget to consider the peer groups in TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
mental, retirement, reservations, life, perspective

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.