Wifi Irrigation Controller Gurus

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2021, 08:05 AM
Default Wifi Irrigation Controller Gurus

Currently have Hunter Pro C non-wifi controller. I'm looking to replace it with a wifi model. I'm told to replace the Hunter I will need the Model X2 Plus a Wand. I am also looking at the Orbit b-hyve 57950 and the Rachio 3. Any suggestions? Do I need the rain sensor with the Orbit or the Rachio?
Old 08-31-2021, 08:49 AM
Gold member

I replaced my old Hunter controller with this…

RainMachine Mini 8 - Forecast Smart Wi-Fi Irrigation Controllers

Simple DIY installation, and I’ve been very
happy with it. I added a WiFi rain sensor to it.
If you have a more zones than 8, they offer a model that will do more.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ1325 View Post
Currently have Hunter Pro C non-wifi controller. I'm looking to replace it with a wifi model. I'm told to replace the Hunter I will need the Model X2 Plus a Wand. I am also looking at the Orbit b-hyve 57950 and the Rachio 3. Any suggestions? Do I need the rain sensor with the Orbit or the Rachio?
check your PM (private Message)
Old 08-31-2021, 09:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
WIFI New Hunter Irrigation System Complete: | Talk of the Villages
Old 08-31-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage

I have a Rachio 3 and I do not use a rain sensor, but you could. I have the Rachio set up to use actual precipitation from local weather stations and the forecasted precipitation to decide when to irrigate.

Quote:

Last edited by biker1; 08-31-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
How many zones? The pro c wifi models don't need a wand plug in. About $160 or so for the 6 zone version. Takes about 20 minutes to install. Easy and has control for a master valve. I've installed 4 of them. Been flawlessly functioning for 2+ years now.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
How many zones? The pro c wifi models don't need a wand plug in. About $160 or so for the 6 zone version. Takes about 20 minutes to install. Easy and has control for a master valve. I've installed 4 of them. Been flawlessly functioning for 2+ years now.
6 zones. And I do not need the wand?
Old 08-31-2021, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
6 zones. And I do not need the wand?
PRO-HC PHC-600i 6 Zone

$178 on Amazon. That's all you need. Just swap the wires over, connect it to your wifi, then create an account at Hunter, enter the serial number and it'll find it. Won't need a rain sensor, it uses the weather stations near you. I took the free package on each I installed. There is a pay subscription that gives you better control of the weather stations but I don't think it's necessary.

That's the Indoor case. If it's in your garage. There is an outdoor one too, more water tight and locks.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 918 Posts

I used the B-Hyve wifi, and can tell right away that it is a money saver over the hunter non wifi. However, not sure if the adjustments are optimized yet since whole time i was waiting, there was enough rain to delay watering the lawn, for many days. . .

The majority of water loss in irrigation is due to a sprinkler head going bad, or being sliced off by a lawn service. .

YMMV
Old 08-31-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
PRO-HC PHC-600i 6 Zone

$178 on Amazon. That's all you need. Just swap the wires over, connect it to your wifi, then create an account at Hunter, enter the serial number and it'll find it. Won't need a rain sensor, it uses the weather stations near you. I took the free package on each I installed. There is a pay subscription that gives you better control of the weather stations but I don't think it's necessary.

That's the Indoor case. If it's in your garage. There is an outdoor one too, more water tight and locks.
Is the wand essentially the rain sensor?
Old 08-31-2021, 06:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Rachio 3 works pretty good and been on sale recently.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
PRO-HC PHC-600i 6 Zone

We have the wireless unit in 2 homes, love the unit and the fact that if the weather is rainy even without a rain sensor the system won't run.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I have a Rachio 3 and I do not use a rain sensor, but you could. I have the Rachio set up to use actual precipitation from local weather stations and the forecasted precipitation to decide when to irrigate.
I have same setup. I also have a weather station and use that rain data which is on Wunderground to take the place of the sensor which I never liked. Around here it rains 3" 2 blocks away and not even a drizzle at my house. 2 days days ago it absolutely poured for about 10 minutes 2 blocks down our street but we got virtually zilch.

I have the Rachio 3 and also have my own weather station (Ambient WS5000) on my lanai roof . I use my own wx station on the Rachio for the same reason you stated so it is accurate 98% of the time. It can rain across the street here and not on my property (and has).
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 01-09-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2021, 09:35 PM
Sage

I have not targeted a specific Weather Underground station for the Rachio to use - there are a couple pretty close to me. It is using some sort of composite - I haven't looked at the details. I have seen instances where the Rachio doesn't think it rained but it did and vice versa. It should even out over time and summer has the most spacial variability but for any given day, a rain sensor at my house would be preferable. I agree that the "irrigation rain sensors" are not all that great - they don't seem to last.

The thing I like the most is the ability to turn a zone on and off from my phone when I am adjusting the sprinkler heads. Running back and forth to the garage was inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I have same setup. I also have a weather station and use that rain data which is on Wunderground to take the place of the sensor which I never liked. Around here it rains 3" 2 blocks away and not even a drizzle at my house. 2 days days ago it absolutely poured for about 10 minutes 2 blocks down our street but we got virtually zilch.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:29 AM
Default B-Hyve

B-have is a very simple to use, WiFi controller. I put them on my houses. They can be controlled all by the app and they are inexpensive.
Closed Thread

Tags
rachio, orbit, model, replace, wifi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.