Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Call Massey Services
There's many things people would like to call Massey Services on this forum
That can't be put in print.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Silvia View Post
I asked the same question of a Publix produce manager, and here is what he suggested: Try a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and dish soap in a small bowel. Put plastic wrap over the top and cut a 1” to 2” hole. This helps to trap the insects inside. I place the bowl on my countertop, near my bananas, and it is very effective. Good luck!
I do the same thing as "MIKE&SYLVIA". Make certain that you use apple cider vinegar. White vinegar, balsamic vinegar, or wine vinegar will NOT work. I usually add about a teaspoonful of dish soap to a quarter or half cup apple cider vinegar. The gnats are attracted to the smell of the apple cider vinegar and when they go to vinegar, the soap gets on their wings and they won't be able to fly anymore and will drop to the bottom of the bowl dead. When you cover the bowl with plastic wrap and poke a hole or two in the top, pull the plastic wrap tight and secure it with a rubberband so they can't get out. Since gnats are attracted to apple cider vinegar, I usually put a vinegar/soap trap on the OUTSIDE of my house to try to kill them before they get in. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maker View Post
The gaps in the electrified metal screen are way too far apart to zap your tiny insects. They will fly right through unharmed.
Those things are designed for much larger insects.
Except it's actually removing the tiny ones. No bites at all so far this season, nor are we occasionally seeing even slightly larger ones flying between us and the television. As I said when writing the quoted party, one's mileage may vary but it could well be worth a try.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Our house seems infested with midges (teeny flies) and they're annoying! How do y'all get rid of them??
Not sure what you have a picture would help. If they look like very small flies, they may be sewer knats. If they are then the easy solution is to pure 1/4 cup bleach in to each drain (shower, sinks, washer, etc.) Then try to eliminate those already in your house or else they will start laying their eggs in the drains again. If they are no-see-ems, good luck. You must have a hole in your screens or leaving screen doors open too long.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:21 PM
Default No-seeums

Quote:
Our house seems infested with midges (teeny flies) and they're annoying! How do y'all get rid of them??
As far as the no-seeums are concerned get yourself a ZEVO plug-in. I put mine in my kitchen near the fruit bowl. We have not had a single issue since no poison no noises nothing they are attracted to the blue light, and when they go into the blue light, they get stuck so it works fabulous I will post a link.
Amazon.com
Old 05-25-2023, 01:21 PM
Default No-seeums

Quote:
As far as the no-seeums are concerned get yourself a ZEVO plug-in. I put mine in my kitchen near the fruit bowl. We have not had a single issue since no poison no noises nothing they are attracted to the blue light, and when they go into the blue light, they get stuck so it works fabulous I will post a link.
https://www.amazon.com/mask-helper-S...37719450&psc=1
Old 05-25-2023, 01:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
You must have a hole in your screens or leaving screen doors open too long.
I don’t have any holes in my screens so how do they get in the house? Are they small enough to get through the screens on the windows or the screen in the lanai? Can they come in between the screen and the frame?
Old 05-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I don’t have any holes in my screens so how do they get in the house? Are they small enough to get through the screens on the windows or the screen in the lanai? Can they come in between the screen and the frame?
https://www.phifer.com/blog/how-to-p...sing%20through.

You would need specialized screens.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:01 PM

Call deans
Old 05-25-2023, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Is this the same thing as a fruit fly? If you have an exterminator you could call and ask them to help. I've read that spraying bleach down your kitchen sink can help with fruit flies. They lay eggs in the drain, the bleach kills them. Also if midges are fruit flies be careful where you buy your produce.
Old 05-25-2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
They might be sewer flies. Pour bleach down your drains. If they’re in the kitchen be sure to pour bleach down the disposal too. Let the bleach sit for a bit (1/2 hour or so) before running water down those drains. I would let the bleach sit overnight.
Old 05-26-2023, 04:53 AM

no-see-ums can pass through normal screens. Step 1 is to stop leaving your doors and windows open. Step 2 is lower you AC temperature. No-see-ums will land on any vertical surface when the temperature is lowered sufficiently. At that point, you can use a hand held vacuum to take them off the walls. Sprays or chemicals have little effect. No-see-ums track humans and animals by CO2 emissions so bug zappers are not the best option. When we lived in the Florida Keys, we used a mosquito magnet which was very effective but that is not for indoor use.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:06 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea N View Post
Is this the same thing as a fruit fly? If you have an exterminator you could call and ask them to help. I've read that spraying bleach down your kitchen sink can help with fruit flies. They lay eggs in the drain, the bleach kills them. Also if midges are fruit flies be careful where you buy your produce.
Not the same thing, the midge I'm thinking of is more the color of a mosquito and very lightweight, almost "feathery." The fruit fly is darker in color. Most of the midges in the house wind up dead in the window sills or bathtub.
Old 05-26-2023, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

I purchased a purple light made by Zevo. It is about 3 times the size of a nightlight and i plug it into the area near the doggie door. I believe that is where they get in. The light attracts those that do get in and they stick to the replaceable sticky panel that fits on the back. I have found it to be extremely helpful and it is reasonably priced. It has solved the problem for me. Good luck
Old 05-26-2023, 06:16 AM

If you live where the midges are a problem, there is only one solution. Move to an area that doesn't have them. No amount of spraying, turning off your lights at night, or painting your home exterior to a darker color will work. Sell is the only option. Why do I know this? Been there done that.
Closed Thread

Tags
midges, rid, yall, annoying, no-seeums

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.