Military bombing nearby?

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Default Military bombing nearby?

Since moving to Buttonwood both my wife and I have noticed a rumble in the distance. We lived near military bases in NC and it is very much like when they had their bombing exercises. It sounds off in the distance and is very faint but at times you can feel a slight tremble along with the rumble. We have ruled out thunder and are quite sure it has nothing to do with train yard in Wildwood. Anyone have any thoughts on this? DG
Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Gold member

When I was there last week I thought it was a sonic boom.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Default Yes, it's bombing practice.

The United States Navy's Pinecastle Bombing Range in the Ocala National Forest is the only place on the East Coast where the Navy can do live impact training. The Navy drops nearly 20,000 bombs a year at the site, a few hundred of which are live. The Pinecastle Bombing Range is a fenced 5,760 acres (23.3 km2) area, with the eastern edge of the range located about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of State Road 19 and the Camp Ocala campgrounds, and one-half mile (800 m) west of the Farles Lake campground. F/A-18 Hornet jet fighters and other aircraft take off from Naval Air Station Jacksonville or from aircraft carriers off the Florida coast, fly low over the forest, and drop their bombs in the middle 450 acres (1.82 km2) of the range. All air-to-ground exercises using conventional ordnance up to and including 500 pounds (226.8 kg) MK 82 bombs and five-inch (127 mm) Zuni rockets are authorized. Napalm and High Explosive Incendiary (HEI) are prohibited. Live ordnance is restricted to the Live Ordnance Impact Area; inert ordnance is used on all other targets. Pinecastle targets have also been certified for laser operations. The Navy has used the area for target practice for 50 years under a special use permit from the U.S. Forest Service.

The ghost town of Kerr City is in the forest. It is located on County Road 316 just west of State Road 19.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

That's a possibility, but it seems to happen to frequently and always about the same distance away. If I had to guess I'd say between Wildwood and Bushnell. DG
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Thanks CatskillBill. That makes sense. Thought we might be losing our minds since we were out in the yard with a neighbor and he couldn't hear it. Might still be losing our minds but our hearing is still good.DG
Old 02-09-2012, 12:31 PM

But sometimes I hear just one faint bang from my house in the Village of Poinciana. Sounds similar to a dump truck tailgate slamming after unlosding. It might just be a train coupling up in Wildwood?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM

Could it just be sounds of the dump truck bins in the distance where there building. If you ever heard when a dump truck emptys and the metal door and the bucket hit it sounds like a bomb.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGx2 View Post
Since moving to Buttonwood both my wife and I have noticed a rumble in the distance. We lived near military bases in NC and it is very much like when they had their bombing exercises. It sounds off in the distance and is very faint but at times you can feel a slight tremble along with the rumble. We have ruled out thunder and are quite sure it has nothing to do with train yard in Wildwood. Anyone have any thoughts on this? DG
I verified with a government agency a week ago that it is bombing at Ocala. To that I replied I did not know we were at war with Ocala.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:46 PM
Gold member

There are usually notices in The Daily Sun posting the days and times of upcoming bombing activity.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Platinum member

There was a notice in the Sun last week or week before about the bombing. Explains why our dog heads to the closet every time it rumbles!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.