SECO Surge Protectors

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2012, 09:09 AM
Default SECO Surge Protectors

I am thinking of getting a whole house surge protector from SECO. Have others done this? If so, did you purchase it outright ($349) or do you rent it ($6/mo)? Why did you purchase or why do you rent? How long do they last? Have you had to replace yours? If so, how many times? I've gone to the SECO website and read on them but am looking for feedback from those who actually have them. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Sage

Do a search been discussed recently, there are better alternatives
Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,172 Times in 441 Posts
Default surge protector

Give your house a wind test and get your surge protector free....Wind test is free also...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Eternal Member

I got the whole house surge protector in 2001 when I moved here. You could only rent them back then. By the time they started selling them, I could have paid for one or maybe two with the rent money. If you are planning on staying in the same place for more than 5 years. Buy it. That is your break even point (more or less).

I understand that there are other types of whole house surge protectors. You could also look at those.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Sage

The only problem with buying is if they take a hit, they need to be replaced. Buy it again??
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage

They sell good ones at HD about $200 that appear to be better.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
The only problem with buying is if they take a hit, they need to be replaced. Buy it again??
Thats what we were told so we changed from purchasing to renting.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Sage

What happens if the SECO 'surge collar' (as they call it - the device that installs on the meter socket outside your house) fails and you're leasing the device.....or if you bought it outright up front? I was scratching my head over this as well as SECO's web site regarding surge protection doesn't spell it out:

Protect your equipment from lightning with SECO Energy's Surge Protection System

Soooooooooooo......I called them and spoke with Linda in Customer Service. She wasn't sure of the answer either so she put me on hold to go check with someone else. She came back on and told me that the only difference is if you bought the surge collar outright, you have a 10 year warranty on it. If the device itself fails within that 10 year period, SECO will come out and replace the device at no charge. On the other hand, if you're leasing it, your warranty on it is for as long as you're continuing to lease it - SECO will replace the surge device at no charge, even if it's past the 10 year mark.

Regardless of lease vs. purchase, if you have an appliance failure (say your washing machine fries) and you feel the surge collar is at fault, it's up to you to deal with the manufacturer directly regarding them covering the appliance.

SECO (352) 793-3801

Bill
Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

How do you know if they take a fatal hit? The whole house goes dark? A breaker trips? What?
Old 06-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
How do you know if they take a fatal hit? The whole house goes dark? A breaker trips? What?
http://www.secoenergy.com/pdfs/Surge/MeterTreaterQA.pdf

See #11.

Bill
Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

I thought I had this all figured out. Now I'm back at zero! Moan!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 06-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Sage

FWIW......

We opted to rent ours. The surge collar was already in place on our patio villa - the prior owners had been renting it - so we just signed up to keep renting it. Our overriding thought was that we don't necessarily intent to own the place long term so we just went with the rental. Less cash outlay up front versus buying......but more expensive over the long haul to lease.

Do whatever seems to make the most sense to you!

Bill
Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Gold member
Default Galaxy

Was talking with my builder armed with a bazillion Surge Protection discussions from TOTV and information from SECO themselfs. By the way very nice people.

Builder looks at me and say's " Your a CarGuy right" Yep" You know the difference between good better and the best protection on a vehicle right? Yep"

Know anything about Surge Protection here in Lighting Capital Florida? Nope!

See them guys wiring your entire home. Yep"

If you call Galaxy and inquire about the system they sell service warranty and install you will buy it.

BUT you will get every one in the world telling you you did not follow " The everybody does SECO way. Remember WE ALL BUNDLE! Love that commercial!

So in our Home is the Galaxy Communication Whole Home Surge unit for The Wiring Appliances Cable and Phone systems. In its own nice panel under my inside Garage Fuse Panel. Green light on the panel shows good! Did not spend that much more and feel I have a much better system installed.

But I don't have the outside meter night time Red Light District Glow light the SECO people have. No Fair! Yet im confused as the Auto World Green is GOOD Red is BAD still trying to figure out that one on my night walks.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
FWIW......

We opted to rent ours. The surge collar was already in place on our patio villa - the prior owners had been renting it - so we just signed up to keep renting it. Our overriding thought was that we don't necessarily intent to own the place long term so we just went with the rental. Less cash outlay up front versus buying......but more expensive over the long haul to lease.

Do whatever seems to make the most sense to you!

Bill
Bill - since the device was already installed, did they charge you an installation fee?

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-27-2012, 07:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Use to install Surge Protectors

I worked for a Utility and installed the "Surge Protectors" that SECO installs. They are designed to protect your home from "voltage surges out on the line". Lightning strikes on the line, poles getting hit by vehicles, trees down on the lines and animals climbing on transformers. TV is underground but some of the underground is fed from aerial pole lines. We had a pole hit one time where a 34,000V line on the top of the pole fell into the 12,000 volt line below it. About 20 house close to where the pole was hit had their "surge protectors" blow out of the meter socket and land about 10 feet in the yard. Some of the houses had damage and some did not. You be the judge! I have SECO's surge protector and will be installing another one on the panel box when my one year warranty is up.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.