Morse to buy out Historic District?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Phone call

Gracie, why don't you give Gary a call, and get the real skinny on this.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Gracie, why don't you give Gary a call, and get the real skinny on this.

You know, I wish I knew him. I might be disappointed but I think I would be proud to shake his hand. By diligence and hard work and some innovative ideas and by risking his own money and by looking carefully at what could be improved he has employed a platoon of great people, took Sumter county from one of the poorest areas in Florida and made the unemployment here at 5.1% one of the lowest in the state and in the nation. He has become very, very, rich. AND old. He deserves every penny of the money he made. Thank you Gary.

It isn't shameful to be rich. You earned it and created a place where seniors are having more fun than they did in college. You made history, fella, and we are part of it.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-24-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You know, I wish I knew him. I might be disappointed but I think I would be proud to shake his hand. By diligence and hard work and some innovative ideas and by risking his own money and by looking carefully at what could be improved he has employed a platoon of great people, took Sumter county from one of the poorest areas in Florida and made the unemployment here at 5.1% one of the lowest in the state and in the nation. He has become very, very, rich. AND old. He deserves every penny of the money he made. Thank you Gary.

It isn't shameful to be rich. You earned it and created a place where seniors are having more fun than they did in college. You made history, fella, and we are part of it.

Amen sista!
Old 06-24-2014, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
There are several homes over here that are in or about to go into foreclosure. maybe the developer is planning on buying those. There are also several frame homes and block home on sites where manufactured homes once stood. Some of these were people who just wanted to upgrade and some were homes that were foreclosed on or abandoned and were purchased for about $39,000 which is about the value of the lot.

Believe it or not, some people live over here because they want to.
Could a private individual purchase an older home over there simply for the land and then have a builder put a home on the land, or is there something in the deed which forbids that?

It is a beautiful area and I think there is a lot of potential for new homes. I have noticed that most of the old oak trees are still standing, which is more than you can say for some of the newer areas!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Could a private individual purchase an older home over there simply for the land and then have a builder put a home on the land, or is there something in the deed which forbids that?

It is a beautiful area and I think there is a lot of potential for new homes. I have noticed that most of the old oak trees are still standing, which is more than you can say for some of the newer areas!

This has already happened. People have purchased and removed the exisiting home and built a new one in several cases. I just wonder if the developer is doing it on a bigger scale. One poster who just bought there said his real estate person said so. Who can find out who owns the land? That is public record. I just can't figure out how to use the Lake County Property Appraiser site. Sumterpa.com is easy peasy.

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post

One even purchased two lots to build a larger house (actually too large for the area if you ask most of us who drive by it). Many purchased with plans to build a frame house once they retire. It is a beautiful area. The one minus is anything is allowed on the lawns, even gnomes, pink flamingoes and peeing dogs. Personally, I'd never have anything in my yard but I'll defend your right to have whatever until we're all blue in the face.

The oak trees are lovely until they're in your yard making a royal mess to clean up or the roots upend your driveway or street. Even so, love em.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Sage

Lake County property appraiser site...under Schwartz Blvd. Nothing but people names except for three owned by Fannie Mae and one owned by the Diocese of Orlando. No trend there that I can see. MUST be a rumor.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default I'm With You

Quote:
I can't think why that would be so. The Historical part is part of The Villages and always will be. There are still some original manufactured homes that are endangered when we have high winds. They could be easily just pulled away and the site cleared to build a more sturdy home. There wasn't a single home available a week or two ago that was less than a hundred thousand dollars which may be the reason for the rumor. Did someone buy the less expensive homes. If so why? (I just checked and there are two that are less than 100k today, but in the 90's.)

The entire place is a legacy that the Morse family will leave to this part of Florida. It is also a first historically in the world. I don't see it as much of a stretch that they would like to leave it completely beautiful and sound. They have changed as they grew and they have remedied many of their mistakes as they have gone along, building cart paths not ON busy streets, building homes better and better. Why shouldn't they want to be sure that their earliest efforts aren't saved and safe?

Please understand that all of my suppositions above are my own RUMOR.
I'm with you, Gracie. Our "historic district" is probably the most popular residential area in The Villages among it's residents. Most will tell you that they wouldn't move from that area even if offered a newer, bigger home in the newer part of TV. And the feelings from the Developer seem to be reciprocated.

Why else would the decision be made to protect this area from unwanted traffic by the "gate decision"? Why else would the Developer stand by and let the the CDD governing that area (all of the residents in that area thru their amenity fees) spend millions to improve the country club, pool, and clubhouse restaurant? Why would the Developer stand by and permit the CDD sign a long term lease with a new restaurant operator? Why would they make major improvements to the golf course?

There are probably lots more examples that make this rumor even more ludicrous than it already seems to be. Even those of us that live in newer parts of The Villages admire and respect our neighbors that live in that area. And I'm certain that the Developer does as well. After all, our historic district was the genesis of the place we call home.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Even More True If...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizdoc View Post
Well, a "medical facility" large enough to require the historic district would be on the order of 20 billion plus. More importantly, it would require a certificate of need. You know how it took so long to get a cert of need for the hospital addition? Try proposing something that large and watch all of the hospitals in Tampa, Orlando, Ocala, Jacksonville, and Gainesville line up to oppose it. Would likely be approved in the 22nd or 23rd centuries.

Everyone thinks that at 130,000 (or whatever number you like), The Villages can support all manner of medical facilities and specialties. The truth is that anything under a population of 10 million is too small for a mega hospital/clinic. No matter how much you wish, it won't happen.
This is even more true if you consider the dire financial straights being experienced by Ocala General Hospital, just 25 miles from here. Obtaining a certificate of need would be impossible methinks.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

The Homes for Sale insert in today's paper has zero Manufactured Homes listed. They do seem to sell fast, no matter who is buying.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
One even purchased two lots to build a larger house (actually too large for the area if you ask most of us who drive by it). Many purchased with plans to build a frame house once they retire. It is a beautiful area. The one minus is anything is allowed on the lawns, even gnomes, pink flamingoes and peeing dogs. Personally, I'd never have anything in my yard but I'll defend your right to have whatever until we're all blue in the face.

The oak trees are lovely until they're in your yard making a royal mess to clean up or the roots upend your driveway or street. Even so, love em.
If you can stand the clean up, the oak leaves make great mulch and end up feeding the soil. I go around to all my neighbors begging for their leaves. Several years ago three beautiful oaks in my vicinity were cut down in a matter of minutes by one of the itinerant tree removal people who appear in the spring, two of the oaks were my shade, so I have a bad feeling about people indiscriminately cutting oaks. I know there could be a fine, but the tree is gone.

I guess I'm weird, but I don't even mind a pink flamingo in a yard - don't want to see a flock of them ..................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

For those with the budget, there are a couple of manufactured homes for sale near the family inner circle......

Manufactured Home - 4 BED 3 BATH
8 HICKORY HEAD HAMMOCK
Village of Hickory Head Hammock
Price: $749,900
View details for VLS 216218
Old 06-24-2014, 07:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
For those with the budget, there are a couple of manufactured homes for sale near the family inner circle......

8 HICKORY HEAD HAMMOCK

Morse FAMILY used to live in Hickory Head Hammock, but first they lived in historic area. They live off 466 now. I keep up on stuff.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post

8 HICKORY HEAD HAMMOCK
I am guessing that is a joke between neighbors? I have a hard time justifying that house for that money and I don't care who the neighbor is!

As far as the buying of historical district trailer homes and building newer homes; I am all for it, some of those trailer homes are awfully dated, and hopefully it is done with more continuity (the "too big" house seems out of place).
Old 06-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Lake County property appraiser site...under Schwartz Blvd. Nothing but people names except for three owned by Fannie Mae and one owned by the Diocese of Orlando. No trend there that I can see. MUST be a rumor.
Gracie, the homes were recently purchased and the public records would not show that change yet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.