Morse Island Revetment Project

Old 01-31-2024, 01:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 536 Posts
Default Write-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
More like the Developer has rock to get rid of and found someone to remove the excess for him.

Clever.

(Yes, I read the entire 60 page Bidding Documents. It is REQUIRED that the Contractor use the "free rock" that was "donated" by the Developer, regardless of the Contractor's potential to obtain the specified material at a lower cost.
Hey, it’s a solid business decision. I wouldn’t go as far as to use a hyperbole like”donated”. Some pro Developer politicians have to spoon it on thick though. I sold 100 acres after I logged it too. It was just good business sense. I’m sure no benevolent innuendo was intended.

“ There are those who believe something, and therefore will tolerate nothing; and on the other hand, those who tolerate everything, because they believe nothing.” - Robert Browning
Old 01-31-2024, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
Ya mean like the brand spanking new, top of the line, massive new schools?
What’s wrong about the new school? Asking for a friend.
Old 01-31-2024, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think you missed the tongue-in-cheek comment, BS
Old 01-31-2024, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I think you missed the tongue-in-cheek comment, BS
I guess I did, again.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I agree. But the question at hand is: If the person who "donates" the free palm tree claims it as a deduction on their tax return, is the "public" entitled to know for how much, or is it between the donor and the IRS?
I don't think tax implications are anyone's business, but the IRS and the filer. As far as I'm concerned, the Tax Code is such a quagmire of nonsense, if someone can navigate around it to their benefit, good for them.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Hey, it’s a solid business decision. I wouldn’t go as far as to use a hyperbole like”donated”. Some pro Developer politicians have to spoon it on thick though.
Absolutely a solid business decision by the Developer.

The hyperbole of "donated" was used by one of the Developer's insiders and most ardent supporters.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry, poor contextual clues. The person to whom I was responding seemed to indicate that The Developer had no "largesse" and I disagreed. While The Developer certainly has a horse in the race and hopes to make a winning choice, their building the new schools without taxpayer burden is certainly both a business move and generous "largesse." They could have otherwise built commercial space for pure profit, but they opted for less monetary return in order to provide more needed (and hopefully attractive to new home buyers) infrastructure in the way of schools - usually a government pursuit. Why usually a government pursuit usually? Because they do not have much of an ROI. While The Developer is indeed doing this for long term strength and sustainability, it will not produce much cash flow, especially in the short term.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 02-01-2024, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry, poor contextual clues. The person to whom I was responding seemed to indicate that The Developer had no "largesse" and I disagreed. While The Developer certainly has a horse in the race and hopes to make a winning choice, their building the new schools without taxpayer burden is certainly both a business move and generous "largesse." They could have otherwise built commercial space for pure profit, but they opted for less monetary return in order to provide more needed (and hopefully attractive to new home buyers) infrastructure in the way of schools - usually a government pursuit. Why usually a government pursuit usually? Because they do not have much of an ROI. While The Developer is indeed doing this for long term strength and sustainability, it will not produce much cash flow, especially in the short term.
Thanks, for correcting my misunderstanding.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
I still remember The Villages advertisements and infomercials back in the '80s. There was no direct ROI from those but there was the hope that it would sell more homes.

If all the new school did was to sell more homes then it would have some ROI but that is not all it does. In addition to selling homes it attracts employees who would like to have their children eligible for the school, and better still if the employee also buys a home in Middleton. Plus, there is a direct ROI with the lease money collected from Sumter County each year.

The new school *may* not be as profitable as retail (I don't know) but it probably will not result in a loss.

The Developer has not been in business this long by doing things that lose money. Whether it is finding a less expensive means of discarding waste or building a school to attract employees and homeowners, there is usually a good business reason for the things he does. There is nothing at all wrong with that, it has worked well for him for many years now. Just because he is making money doesn't mean it is not good for the community. Likewise, just because something is good for the community doesn't mean there is no money to be made. There seems to still be a pretty good balance at the moment.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough

Last edited by Bill14564; 02-01-2024 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 11:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Brian was right! It’s OK to sometimes like or not like what some do. If you didn’t, you would be part of the Stepford Wives of the Villages. Watch out for those who tell you it’s all bliss for their own personal benefits. More scary are those who think Adolf Hitler was perfect. There are landlords, government officials, business owners who benefit with their trolling here.

This place isn’t perfect, but IMHO was a great place to retire and I’m glad I did. I’ll just work on changing what is wrong.
I find it rather funny that those who do not spend their time complaining are accused of being 'Kool-Aide Drinkers', 'Developer Minions', and 'Stepford Wives'. I am very happy living here in The Villages. To suggest that I believe that I live in a utopia is laughable.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
I find it rather funny that those who do not spend their time complaining are accused of being 'Kool-Aide Drinkers', 'Developer Minions', and 'Stepford Wives'. I am very happy living here in The Villages. To suggest that I believe that I live in a utopia is laughable.
I like Kool-Aide, cherry please. And I believe that this is as close to Utopia as I'm going to get in what time I have left. Sometimes I like to complain or argue just for the mental stimulation. But TV is filled with wonderful people, some of whom I agree with and some I don't. Friend to all, even those who sometimes frustrate me. Yep! As close to Utopia as I'm going to get!
Old 02-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
The value of the rock is a public issue, when the CDC accepts a "donation" and then requires a Contractor to sort, process, transport and use that rock.
Quote:
I don't think tax implications are anyone's business, but the IRS and the filer. As far as I'm concerned, the Tax Code is such a quagmire of nonsense, if someone can navigate around it to their benefit, good for them.
Sorry, now I'm confused----which is it, public or private?????
Old 02-02-2024, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I like Kool-Aide, cherry please. And I believe that this is as close to Utopia as I'm going to get in what time I have left. Sometimes I like to complain or argue just for the mental stimulation. But TV is filled with wonderful people, some of whom I agree with and some I don't. Friend to all, even those who sometimes frustrate me. Yep! As close to Utopia as I'm going to get!
Well said.

Tags
project, area, work, traffic, island

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.