Most Square Ent. Not Good

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Default Most Square Ent. Not Good

I know it is supposed to be free and I know they do not get paid much but I generally see very, very few people at the square for many acts. (exceptions we know are Johnny Dee/Wild, Paisley Craze(once a month), Bob's Rock Shop, MPire and a few others. You can only see Rocky do Duke of Earl and Mustang Sally just so many times. I might suggest that they eliminate 2-3 nights and use the combined funds to bring in more Orlando based entertainment. Heck, I'd chip in cash to see Buzz Cats (or guarantee to go and buy drinks). 365 days a year times 3 squares is a LOT of events to have. And 5:00-6:00 PM in the Summer is (HOT). Maybe just have 3 hours.

Last edited by sail33or; 05-20-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: less controversial
Old 05-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
I know it is supposed to be free and I know they do not get paid much but I generally see very, very small attendance at most of the squares entertainment. Most are just Karaoke to backing tracks, a guy that fakes guitar to backing tracks, etc. (exceptions we know are Johnny Dee/Wild, Paisley Craze(once a month), Bob's Rock Shop and a few others. You can only see Rocky do Duke of Earl and Mustang Sally just so many times. I might suggest that they eliminate 4 nights and use that money to get 3 days a week good acts. Heck, I'd chip in cash to see Buzz Cats. 365 days a year is really not being honest. And 5:00-6:00 PM in the Summer is a joke(HOT). Just have 3 hours.
Are you new to The Villages?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I know it is supposed to be free and I know they do not get paid much but I generally see very, very small attendance at most of the squares entertainment. Most are just Karaoke to backing tracks, a guy that fakes guitar to backing tracks, etc. (exceptions we know are Johnny Dee/Wild, Paisley Craze(once a month), Bob's Rock Shop and a few others. You can only see Rocky do Duke of Earl and Mustang Sally just so many times. I might suggest that they eliminate 4 nights and use that money to get 3 days a week good acts. Heck, I'd chip in cash to see Buzz Cats. 365 days a year is really not being honest. And 5:00-6:00 PM in the Summer is a joke(HOT). Just have 3 hours.
While I generally agree with what you're saying (since we don't really drink, we pretty much stopped going years ago)...other responses may differ.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I don't dispute the OP. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Our opinion is that as long as we are not stuck in the house listening to Sirens of some kind, hearing gunshots every now & then and smelling a Kentucky Fried Chicken and Burger King Medley then we are doing pretty well. We think about the homes we flipped in N.J. that were in the hood. It was rough but thrilling. The music there was RAP and to get along you had to make believe you were with it. That being said, we love all music at any Square anytime we can make it we go and am thankful to be here. It's almost a year and I still can't believe we made it.

If the people in charge take your idea and made 3 or 4 nights a week happen I'll bet that would upset the natives, we're cool with either way. Your thinking is out of the box. You should put your ideas into the resident survey.

I do drink and so does my wife....Dunkin Donut's Iced Coffee.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Be careful what you ask for.......................
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM

We enjoy the entertainment.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Sage

Yes...the natives would riot. Not a pretty picture.

I think part of the beauty is you don`t have to wonder if there is entertainment any given night. Feel like gettin` out for a bit? Head to a square. Even if the entertainment is mediocre, so what. Just chill a while. If that`s not good enough, heck, try another square. Usually something decent at at least one of them...heheh.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Platinum member

If this was important, apparently you didn't do your due diligence.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Sage

Should be 8 days a week.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Yes...the natives would riot. Not a pretty picture.

I think part of the beauty is you don`t have to wonder if there is entertainment any given night. Feel like gettin` out for a bit? Head to a square. Even if the entertainment is mediocre, so what. Just chill a while. If that`s not good enough, heck, try another square. Usually something decent at at least one of them...heheh.
100% right (as usual) Polar Bear.

That is exactly what Mrs. Trap and I do a couple of evenings each week do. We have lived in The Villages a bit over 7 years and still enjoy the entertainment.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Gold member

If you get it changed to 3 days a week then it would be 3 days of what you call mediocre entertainment. Why do you care ? It is not like they are charging you for the entertainment. I see it as a way to get out, socialize, meet people and get a little exercise in by dancing like nobody is watching. Some of the acts are better than others, if you go and don't like it drive to another square, maybe you will like that one. Summertime - just don't go until later when it cools down a little, they don't take attendance. I have always said don't worry about the small stuff and there is no big stuff...enjoy life!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We enjoy going for an hour or so a few nights a week. I don't look to see or care who the entertainment is that evening. We park the cart in a good spot, sit in it and enjoy the coffee we bring from home. Pleasant outing. We run into people we know or meet new people. People are always interesting.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:24 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I am glad different music is provided for all of us every evening. Sorry if you are not happy.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
The Buzzcatz Orlando Wedding Band

I seem to remember them coming to some venue in the Villages. Maybe the Sharon?
Old 05-20-2017, 06:39 AM

(LOL) I really was just "stirring" the pot. I appreciate the fact that there is "anything" in the way of entertainment in the squares. Where I moved from there was some free music in the City Park only Fri/Sat and only in the Summer. I am sure it is very difficult to even find any acts for a year round venue in 3 Squares. However I still think there should be more SHADE in the squares for Florida Summers as the bigger acts create a shade area shortage. I have seen other places use triangular shaped sails tied off at high points. They can be easily taken down in high winds, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
backing, days, good, tracks, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.