Mountain out of molehill for trike rider

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Default Mountain out of molehill for trike rider

I'm considering several different tadpole recumbent trikes to ride around the Villages. I'd like to start out on the multimodal path but I'm a little concerned about the steep grade in spots. Specifically, can any trike rider discuss how difficult it is to stop at the tunnels and then take off going up the ramp? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Does it matter if you have 20 or 26 inch rear tire? Thank you for any assistance.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJBama View Post
I'm considering several different tadpole recumbent trikes to ride around the Villages. I'd like to start out on the multimodal path but I'm a little concerned about the steep grade in spots. Specifically, can any trike rider discuss how difficult it is to stop at the tunnels and then take off going up the ramp? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? Does it matter if you have 20 or 26 inch rear tire? Thank you for any assistance.
I am a fairly recent new trike rider, and live in Mallory Square. I can tell you that some of the hills will be tough to climb from a dead stop-it will depend upon your fitness as well as your trike. The larger wheel helps on hills, as does having as many gears as possible (I have 30). My plan is to avoid full stops at the start of a hill for a while until I can get my conditioning up. One funny story, my first ride, I came down the hill to my house, so I dropped the gears to the lowest level while going downhill. I had to come to a full stop (golf cart came up the road from the other direction) before I could pull into my driveway. I could not get the trike up the incline of my driveway in the lowest gear (did I mention trying to pull my body weight up didn't help.....<g>), so I had to dismount and walk the trike up the driveway. Now I come up the hill to my driveway and turn in while in a higher gear and can get into my garage without repeating that embarrassing moment (I could have sworn I heard my dogs laughing on that one).
Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 PM
Veteran member

You are correct to be concerned. You are not making a mountain out of a molehill. Most golf carts do not slow down on curves or at the tunnels. They will come up fast on you if you are slowly climbing up out of a tunnel. They will pass you on the upgrade and put you in danger if they encounter a cart coming down the hill as they will pull back into the lane whether they have cleared you or not. I have experienced this on multiple occasions. I ride an upright road bike but I run into the same hill climbing problem. When I stop at the exit at the tunnel I need to unclip my shoe from my pedal and then start up the steep hill and clip back in, which is not easy. I have been passed by a golf cart going up the hill. It turned out to be my neighbor! So my solution is to avoid difficult tunnels now and ride my bike through the rotaries. Believe me it is safer. I then rejoin the multi modal path without having to go through dangerous tunnels. Just recently a golf cart driver ran down a woman who was walking in the golf cart lane on a street and killed her. Fortunately the death rate for walkers and bicyclists is much lower than that for golf cart riders. Over 20 golf carters have been killed in the last ten years.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:43 PM

Thank you for your responses. I'm looking into putting a granny guard on my trike so I can downshift as I'm going up hill if I need to. I've also thought about avoiding the tunnels and using the streets for crossing over.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I am a fairly recent new trike rider, and live in Mallory Square. I can tell you that some of the hills will be tough to climb from a dead stop-it will depend upon your fitness as well as your trike. The larger wheel helps on hills, as does having as many gears as possible (I have 30). My plan is to avoid full stops at the start of a hill for a while until I can get my conditioning up. One funny story, my first ride, I came down the hill to my house, so I dropped the gears to the lowest level while going downhill. I had to come to a full stop (golf cart came up the road from the other direction) before I could pull into my driveway. I could not get the trike up the incline of my driveway in the lowest gear (did I mention trying to pull my body weight up didn't help.....<g>), so I had to dismount and walk the trike up the driveway. Now I come up the hill to my driveway and turn in while in a higher gear and can get into my garage without repeating that embarrassing moment (I could have sworn I heard my dogs laughing on that one).
My wife says you need a granny guard Granny Guard helps with downshifting - YouTube or a N-gear jump stop N-Gear, Home of the Jump Stop
Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
My wife says you need a granny guard Granny Guard helps with downshifting - YouTube or a N-gear jump stop N-Gear, Home of the Jump Stop
Thanks for the note, however, I am not having a problem shifting gears or maintaining a proper gear for the road conditions. My issue was that I had shifted to a low gear as I was descending a hill, but had to come to a complete stop (lack of planning on my part). I was therefore in low gear at a dead stop, and couldn't shift to a high gear before climbing the incline as the shifting is done while the trike is in motion. The combination of the wrong gear, my weight, and some needed conditioning on my part all prevented me from being able to cycle up the driveway. The granny guard would not of been of help in this scenario.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:16 AM

Sounds like I'm going to need conditioning and loads of practice on this new vehicle.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

So do you guys think there is value in an electric assist motor?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Default peddle assist

My wife and I both have peddle assist electric motors on our trikes. We got them specifically to get up the hills at the end of the tunnels. Now we do not back up traffic nor do we struggle going up the hills. We still peddle to ride, except that we use our assist at the tunnel area. My wife would not part with her electric motor and neither would I.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
So do you guys think there is value in an electric assist motor?
I did not see the value in it for myself. I need the exercise, and with planning my route, I can pretty much avoid standing stops followed immediately by climbing a hill (I can ride many places without having to go through a tunnel). I use the momentum of the trike on the downhill (with appropriate braking) to help with my uphill journey where I pass by tunnels. My hope is that with conditioning, the hills won't be as much of a challenge. As you can see from the quote below, people do find value in them. You will need to decide for yourself if there is value to you. Is the cost of the electric assist motor worth it to you? How often do you envision using it? Will you become over-reliant on it losing the benefit of pedaling yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenbarg12 View Post
My wife and I both have peddle assist electric motors on our trikes. We got them specifically to get up the hills at the end of the tunnels. Now we do not back up traffic nor do we struggle going up the hills. We still peddle to ride, except that we use our assist at the tunnel area. My wife would not part with her electric motor and neither would I.
Closed Thread

Tags
mountain, rider, trike, molehill, ramp

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.