Move over

Closed Thread
Old 04-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Does this mean that the left lane will remain unused (except for passing) during rush hour?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Up north many times you will find the left lane smoother than the right land. Same goes for many of the interstates. One year driving to Florida on I-77 just inside the NC line the right lane was almost impossible to drive at the speed limit. You felt that you needed a dentist appointment to reset all your fillings after that trip. On the other hand the left lane was very drivable at and above the speed limit with no problems.

Here in Ohio on the local expressway the far left lane (3 lanes each direction) is far better driving than the center lane and a little better than the far right lane.

As far as speed on the local roadways the local newspaper ran an article yesterday of how the police reductions have led to a drastic reduction in speeding tickets being written over the past year or so. Yesterday I did notice a large number of flyer's well over the posted limit as they now know the odds are in their favor.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Default NJ

I was driving in the left lane because of it being smoother and easier to use cruise control late at night on the NJ turnpike. I had the cruise set plus 4 over the speed limit with little or no traffic in sight I got pulled over by NJ State Police. I got a ticket for driving in the left lane and not the right. It cost me $288. for a smoother ride. Not worth it.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The Florida Senate has passed a bill that will make it illegal to stay in the left lane on multi lane highways. It passed 37 to 1. It now goes to the house where a similar bill has already been introduced.

Man, the police will have a field day handing out tickets. There is nothing that drives me crazier than drivers that doddle in the left lane. They use it like it's the only lane available.
Amen
Old 04-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Well, dpingram

Drivers that go the speed limit, assuming that your car has been calibrated correctly, MIGHT just cause the driver behind you, that MIGHT be armed, to go NUTS, please, please, don't assume that everyone on the road is understanding and will follow you to the ends of the earth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpingram View Post
I'm sorry this is something I have never been able to wrap my head around. If I am maintaining the posted legal speed limit and in the left lane why does someone need to pass me... unless of course they are exceeding the posted legal speed limit. How will the state troopers keep up with how many miles an individual has traveled in the left lane?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Send a message via ICQ to dpingram
Default Omg

You assume that I drive in the left lane and am holding up all those speeders and crazy nuts.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Drivers that go the speed limit, assuming that your car has been calibrated correctly, MIGHT just cause the driver behind you, that MIGHT be armed, to go NUTS, please, please, don't assume that everyone on the road is understanding and will follow you to the ends of the earth....
My BIL was a state trooper and his observation was that left lane hogs are a significant reason for road rage and the dangerous driving that it creates by forcing people to pass on the right usually swerving and cutting off people already in the right lane.

Then there's the old joke about the driver, usually depicted as a senior, who got in the left lane in Orlando because he had to make a left turn in Sarasota.

I hope the new law has some effect, but I think it will be low on the priority of FHP officers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.