Street signs/Numbers above garage door

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 AM
Default Street signs/Numbers above garage door

Forgive me if this has been asked before -

2 questions,

1) Best place to get a lamp post sign is still...

2) Has anyone put numbers (street address) above garage door? (My wife and I were walking our neighbrhood couple nights ago and unless one of the street lights were in the correct place, couldn't readthe house number on lamp post unless it was lighted sign)

Actually - one more. Current recommendations for landscapers?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Sage

Re: lamp post sign. It won't be lighted.......and it won't be the least expensive one you can get........but check out a TOTV advertiser: "F.E. Webb Lamp Post Signs". His ad is on the left hand side of the page. You might have to scroll down some to find it.

We purchased a sign from him when we bought our Patio Villa. Very high quality - very long warranty period (longer than we'll probably live!) - and a nice guy to boot!

JMHO - - -

Bill

Last edited by Bill-n-Brillo; 04-06-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 AM

Ditto on the sign, Mr Webb does a fine job. You'll get as many recommendations on landscapers as there are folks on TOTV, having said that I, my neighbor and many others have been extremely satisfied with Villages Palms. They are on 466, right side as you leave the villages area and just before you turn on Rolling Acres. Wendy and Bill will do you right and a superior job too. They have a very great crew, hard working and professional.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

We are in the midst of getting our post sign but the "discussion" between "she who must be obeyed" and yours truly is:

Do you leave yourself vulnerable to door to door hustlers by having both first and last names on the sign? any thoughts?

Of course our kitty's name, Divot Mulligan, MUST be displayed prominantly.......
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM

I personally wanted only our first names on the sign. If you also have your last name, it is too easy for someone will bad intentions to look you up in the telephone directory. All they have to do then is call your home phone to see if you are there (provided you normally answer your phone). Looks like a good way to invite a home burglary. Maybe I am just being to cautious.

I think the house number on the lamp post is more visible than having it posted in the window. I don't see where having the number above the garage door would make it any more visible, particularly at night.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran member

[
I don't see where having the number above the garage door would make it any more visible, particularly at night.[/QUOTE]

Actually the numbers above the garage door show up very well. Went to visit friends at Creekside Landing the other night and all homes have it above the door. They're illuminated by the post lamp.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
I personally wanted only our first names on the sign. If you also have your last name, it is too easy for someone will bad intentions to look you up in the telephone directory. All they have to do then is call your home phone to see if you are there (provided you normally answer your phone). Looks like a good way to invite a home burglary. Maybe I am just being to cautious.
It doesn't hurt to be cautious. We too only had our first names put on our sign. HOWEVER! If someone with bad intentions wanted your last name so they could look you up in the phone directory, it's easy enough to get without getting it from your lamp post sign.
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 04-06-2011, 01:21 PM

IMHO you're being a bit too cautious. If someone has your address they can learn all kinds of interesting things about you. If you don't want your neighbors to know your name just have your house number on your sign.

Now as for removing the address numbers stuck on your window I've tried without much success. Short of using a jack hammer, they're there to stay.

Have fun.

Last edited by dfn8tly; 04-09-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Remove information possibly damaging.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Sage

try a hair dryer
Old 04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Gold member

We live in a CYV neighborhood and were told they were placed in all the garage windows for 911 vehicles to see them at night. No one has removed
their's because of that reason.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Our sign got swallowed up years ago by a jasmine which uses it to prop up one of it's larger limbs. We never had our names on it anyway, just the street number. My husband put the numbers above the garage - pretty ones from Lowe's - and they look nice and are clearly visible at night. EMT's say the best way to make sure they find you if you called 911 is to open your garage and turn on all outside lights so they can spot the right house.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

We have just first names also. And while people can find out a lot online, some bad guys use the old fashioned way. Seems that they pawned the laptop they stole last week.....

Our neighbor also put their number on the side of their home
Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
We are in the midst of getting our post sign but the "discussion" between "she who must be obeyed" and yours truly is:

Do you leave yourself vulnerable to door to door hustlers by having both first and last names on the sign? any thoughts?

Of course our kitty's name, Divot Mulligan, MUST be displayed prominantly.......
Anyone can find out who the homeowner is by taking the address to county records.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran member

All good advice. My concern is somebody driving up, ringing the doorbell and addressing me by name like we were long lost buddies. Oh yeah you can get all kinds of info on the internet, tax records, sales info, reverse phone lookup (getting a telephone number by inputting address) etc.

All that takes premeditated effort and then you are a target. I'm just trying not to bothered by the drive bys looking for a quick scam......
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

There are so many places to get lamp post signs that it is unbelievable. Lots of good recommendations here or you can go to enther square on vendor night and a lamp post sign vendor will be there or you can visit Market of Marion where there are several vendors offering these signs.

No rule against putting your house number over/near the garage door. I did it. I kinda like it.

I opted to put full names on our sign. Your point about caution is valid but, IMHO, a little overkill. Knowing your house number, lots more info that your last name is readily available to anyone who wants to spend a minute or so to look it up. Why inconvenience friends, relatives or neighbors to defeat some scumbag whom you will lose to anyway if they set their sights on you?

As far as recommendations for a landscaper go, see yesterdays The Daily Sun (Wed, 4/06). The supplement to the paper was the VHA monthly newsletter and on page 3 of that supplement was a good article from Seniors Vs Crime on landscapers, how to pick them, and how to deal with them. It is well worth the read and full of useful info (but no names of companies).

You probably already threw out yesterday's newspaper but no problem. The Villages Voice, which is the name of their newsletter, is online. You can get to it by going to the VHA site at http://www.thevha.net/. One of the links on their home page will be The Villages Voice (their monthly newsletter) so click on that and select the April 2011 issue and you will find the SVC article.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.