Movie’s at the Sharon?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2022, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
No BS attack from me...............

What a great idea. I'd LOVE to see old classic movies on a huge screen. I've never seen movies like "Singing in the Rain" on a big screen. I will be looking forward to that. I'd also love to see the 1961 "West Side Story" on a big screen.

As for the sound, The Sharon has wonderful acoustics. I remember seeing The Beach Boys in that theater and Mike Love said they look forward to coming back there because the superior acoustics make them sound great. Hopefully, the sound system will knock my socks off, especially for a classic movie musical. LOVE those.
count me in, too. there's something about a big screen for certain classics that you can't get on tv
Old 07-30-2022, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Looks like the Sharon is going to show couple classic movies starting in August. Thoughts
Just like Mark Morse said at the Night with The Developer. They were going to start some movies at The Sharon. Hopefully enough interest to show reopening the Rialto would be worth wild. Movie makers have to produce more films and stop sending them straight to streaming to keep theater viable.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I suppose this is a way to further utilize this asset. The place does have a great sound system, but what will it be like when the seating area is only 1/4 full? I am looking forward to the reviews after the showings begin. I bet there will not be popcorn or juju beans for sale…
Notice a picture of a concession stand in The Sharon in the Daily Sun when they were talking about opening it up for movies.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
It is a way to:
A.. Make more $$ at the Sharon (for old movies that should be free)
B. A poor attempt to cover for closing the Rialto
C. Hoping residents won't complain but instead will be glad this is being provided.
All of the above are true
Love your positive attitude. Bless your heart.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,777 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
Why with over 150,000 people, is there only one movie theater? Something is rotten in TV.
Sounds like a great business opportunity for someone who wants to spend their own money, not the developer's money.
Old 07-30-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

I've always thought The Villages could use a good "classic movie" house. I'm not excited about this though. Films like "Gone With The Wind", "A Hard Day's Night" the original "War of the Worlds" "The Sound of Music" and even "King Kong" are big-screen worthy... they go beyond just story-driven films. The films actually chosen may be "classics" but does the theater experience adds anything... "Breakfast at Tiffany's?" Also... why The Sharon? It's a long trip for thousands of residents... forget the golf carts. At $20+ a couple, to drive that far to watch a readily available film... I just don't see it...
Who knows? Maybe it'll be a huge success.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 07-30-2022, 12:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
The article quotes Morse in a way that implies the Sharon movies are a stopgap while the refurb of the Rialto, suspended by COVID, is evaluated further and more movies are released by distributors.
Hasn't the fate of the Rialto already been announced; MVP is taking the spot.
And what about the Barnstorm moves? Situation not addressed.
Yup, just another way to justify the closing of two nice multi-screen theaters. It's a shame and they were all making money too. We miss the Rialto. Went regularly. And we would usually dine in the square's restaurants too. This closure is killing Spanish Springs.
I can watch old movies at home for my cheap streaming subscription and HAVE POPCORN TOO!

Don't understand this move.

Skip
Old 07-30-2022, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry8bal View Post
You hit the nail on the head with "B". It's the only reason to justify The Sharon and the closing of The Rialto. I HATE going to Sumter Landing with all the traffic to try to go to a movie. Why with over 150,000 people, is there only one movie theater? Something is rotten in TV.
Traffic? What traffic? Huh? Are you from Mayberry?
Old 07-30-2022, 02:56 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,777 Times in 515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
It's a shame and they were all making money too.

Says who?
Old 07-31-2022, 09:46 AM

After seeing Maverick at the Warren Theater in Broken Arrow, I would love to see Top Gun again in the Theater with the great surround sound they have. It's a trend all over the nation to bring our old favorites back to the Theater. I'm game!
Old 07-31-2022, 04:23 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,695 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Looks like the Sharon is going to show couple classic movies starting in August. Thoughts
I love watching classic movies on the big screen vs TV at home. I hope this becomes a trend. Back in the 80s in college, several theaters would shows classic films on the big screen, and the lineup would change daily - introduced me so many classics I wouldn’t have otherwise seen (this was before TCM).
Old 07-31-2022, 04:31 PM

This isn't unique or something special that TV is doing. The local theatre where I'm from has been doing this for years. Lots of new and old movies being shown- https://drafthouse.com/northern-virginia

Since most of their profits is from concessions, playing old movies must be close to pure profit. Not enough new movies to fill all the theatres, so they can run some old ones and make a little extra.
Closed Thread

Tags
sharon, movie’s, couple, august, starting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.