Moving small items out of state

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcottage View Post
Hello everyone! I need to move a small desk and box of fine China to my son who lives out of state. Moving companies consider the load too small to move and I can’t put a UHaul in back of my car. Are there other shipping companies that would move it? I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Jernick moving & storage does a lot of shared moving for smaller moves.
Jernick Moving & Storage
Old 04-20-2023, 08:34 AM
Default Rent a van

Moved similiar items from MA to Villages. Rented a Grand Caravan mini-van. Put all seat in back down. Loaded up and made a nice drive to the Villages. Cheaper than U-Haul, and much more comfortable to drive.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,593 Times in 3,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Disassemble the desk and ups it.

Bubble wrap the china in many layers of bubble wrap and bubble wrap the cartons you place it into. Use enough should make the china idiot proof to ship.
We moved out fine china (service for 12, ugh) by using thin foam sheets. The foam is slip-resistant so we could stack pieces on top of each other neatly, and they wouldn't slide in the box. Then newspaper in the corners and the top of the box before we closed it. The cups had a bit of foam draped into them so we could stack 3 cups in 4 columns in a smaller box. The boxes went in my car with light-weight things on top of them and wedged between the boxes and the doors/seat of the car, to make sure the boxes themselves didn't move around.

Moving is an artform. But it doesn't take a lot of skill, or even a lot of planning. You just have to be able to visualize where things will fit, and then fit them there.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:00 AM

Just call pack n ship they will do it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcottage View Post
hello everyone! I need to move a small desk and box of fine china to my son who lives out of state. Moving companies consider the load too small to move and i can’t put a uhaul in back of my car. Are there other shipping companies that would move it? I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Old 04-20-2023, 09:23 PM

Thanks to all! I am contacting UShip- my son and his wife asked for his grandparents desk and the wedding China ( I know that’s unusual for 40 yr olds!). I have no room for them. They cannot afford the cost to ship and I didn’t want to pay an exorbitant rate to send to them. All is well now. Thank you all again!
Old 04-21-2023, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcottage View Post
Hello everyone! I need to move a small desk and box of fine China to my son who lives out of state. Moving companies consider the load too small to move and I can’t put a UHaul in back of my car. Are there other shipping companies that would move it? I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Uship dot com. Moved a chair, some boxed items, and a motorcycle, not all at once, a few years ago. LTL ( less than truckload) moving.
Old 04-22-2023, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Where is it going?
Closed Thread

Tags
small, move, moving, companies, state

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.