Moving to TV with valuables

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Moving to TV with valuables

We have US savings bonds and many valuable documents we need to bring to FL. Is there a way to ship them insured or do people just put them in their car and travel with them? I know of 2 people who have had their cars broken into while in resturants off of I-95.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Platinum member

I don't know the volume of all your documents, or the size of your car, but here's a few options for travel ....
Carry the few, most valuable, flat in the bottom of a shoulder strap, zippered handbag. Buy one if you don't have one. Take it with you if you go into a restaurant, keep it between your feet. Don't open it in public or rummage around in there. And carry it in front of you, not dangling behind your back.

Place others in a flat gift box and tape it up. You can write "baby pictures" or something on the top if you like. Place it out of the way, like under the seat, or under some newspapers if you can't hide it.

Park only where you can easily see your car while in the restaurant, or, just for this trip, eat in the car.
If you stop to stay overnight, park in the front of the place you're staying, under a nice bright lamp post. Take anything you are worried about inside your room for the night.

One more thought to keep in mind. When packing your car, keep all the delicate or valuable stuff out of the way of the spare tire area. Put "no big deal" stuff there.
We had a blow out on one of our trips down and of course had to unload part of the vehicle onto the shoulder of the interstate to get at the jack and spare.
It was good that we only had to unload a few gym bags filled with lightweight stuff of little value to anyone.
I wish you a safe and happy journey. You'll do well!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Gold member

Great advice Uptown Girl!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Uptown Girl's advice is excellent. However, a couple of other thoughts come to mind. If you have established a bank account here you can contact the bank and get suggestions from them. Remember that many of the people in TV bought homes and signed documents all by mail. A lot of documents can be sent FEDEX overnight for around $25.00. In addition, if you have a friend here you can send the documents to him/her. If you don't have a friend yet, I'll volunteer and I also accept gold bullion.

Have a safe trip. We're waiting with plenty of places you can spend those bonds.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Default Valuables

The United States Postal Service (USPS)....Send them Registered mail. Jewelry stores , Banks use them
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

depending on the value use ups or fedex for large cash value, if more than $10,000 use brinks or special vault services
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 PM

You don't need to worry about US Savings bonds being stolen. It might be a pain to get replacements but they are safe from loss or theft.
Registered mail is used to ship high value items at a reasonable cost.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Thank You

I think we will make copies of the bonds and leave with my sister. Hide the real thing in the "baby's picture" box.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Hey nice advice Uptown girl...
Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Default Important Documents

I would ship them by Federal Express to the vice president of a bank. Let them know to expect the documents and that you will take them upon arrival and put them in a safe deposit box at that bank.

You don't want to have to worry about these things when travelling. As far as putting them into boxes, (Lord forbid) what happens if you have to have the car towed - where will you put the boxes while it is being repaired/towed?

Better to copy them, leave the COPY with your sister, and ship them to a bank in town.

Be careful on the drive down to your new care free living!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.