Moving on up

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2021, 12:41 PM
Veteran member

I don't get it either. I'm a Christian and have no urge to intentionally violate standard neighborhood rules. Items could be put on your car, porch, a necklace, etc. Why risk irking others in your community...
Old 07-17-2021, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizemo33 View Post
I am very grateful that Arlington cemetery and all the armed forces cemeteries are not located within the villages.
Sorry, but I fail to see what your post has to do with deed restrictions.
Old 07-17-2021, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerism View Post
My Pink Flamingo doubles as a homing beacon for the mother ship
I'm waiting for the resurrection of Devine...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 07-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizemo33 View Post
I am very grateful that Arlington cemetery and all the armed forces cemeteries are not located within the villages.
I agree! If we had a military cemetery in The Villages, we would have a bunch of Wiccan symbols everywhere.

military cemetery wicca symbol - Yahoo Image Search Results
Old 07-17-2021, 01:13 PM

Yours is a very sad comment
Old 07-17-2021, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

"Rules are Rules"......and yet:
How many golf carts actually stop fully at a stop sign? None of the ones I have followed in the last 10 years in the Villages.
How many violations of real estate signs do you see every week?
How many open house sign violations do you see every week?
How many yard sale/garage sale signs do you see every week?
How many violations of landscaping rules do you see every week?
I could go on with the list.
The little bitty cross does not threaten me or insult me. Actually, I am glad when I see them, along with American flags flying. Since I have no intention of selling my home anytime soon, I guess I am not concerned about supposed threats to the worth of my property. I guess bragging rights mean a lot more to some than others. My house is worth $???K ....big deal.

Just keep your dam* dog off my grass! Otherwise, my two cents says that when I see a personalization of homes in a neighborhood, I know someone lives there and the house is not just a rental.

Yes, "rules are rules." Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:01 PM

I guess putting a 10 foot statue of Jesus on my front of lawn, will be out of the question.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklesweep View Post
My view is that this is a deed restriction issue, that I signed a covenant required when I bought my home here that I cannot display lawn ornaments. But I’m curious to understand the reasons for those violating the document we signed.

Are they so insecure about their religious beliefs that they feel that by making their personal issue public, it will give them a response from others that lets them feel that this feedback is what creates a true spiritual connection?

Or are they insecure not for issues of faith but rather their standing in the community that they feel by challenging the lawn ornament issue, they will be admired which in turn can soothe their ego?

Or are they people who, no matter what the issue, deliberately choose to do the opposite of expectation with no regard for support or feedback from others?

Or what are the other possibilities? I got a glimpse overhearing a conversation in which a little white cross/lawn ornament displayer was asked how they would feel about seeing displayed on lawns the symbols of other religions such as a Crescent for Moslems, a Star of David for Jews, the Universal symbol for Unitarians, a statue of Buddha, and more. The answer was that would not be the same thing. Why not? “Because we are a Christian nation!”

Huh? Is that like English is the official language of the U.S.? (I’m just comparing, not bringing up another subject.) I still don’t get it, but then again, curiosity aside, I don’t have to….
Actually, the U.S, does not have an official language
Old 07-17-2021, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
"Rules are Rules"......and yet:
How many golf carts actually stop fully at a stop sign? None of the ones I have followed in the last 10 years in the Villages.
How many violations of real estate signs do you see every week?
How many open house sign violations do you see every week?
How many yard sale/garage sale signs do you see every week?
How many violations of landscaping rules do you see every week?
I could go on with the list.
The little bitty cross does not threaten me or insult me. Actually, I am glad when I see them, along with American flags flying. Since I have no intention of selling my home anytime soon, I guess I am not concerned about supposed threats to the worth of my property. I guess bragging rights mean a lot more to some than others. My house is worth $???K ....big deal.

Just keep your dam* dog off my grass! Otherwise, my two cents says that when I see a personalization of homes in a neighborhood, I know someone lives there and the house is not just a rental.

Yes, "rules are rules." Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
About 10,000 as many as cyclists who stop
Old 07-17-2021, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFER54 View Post
I guess putting a 10 foot statue of Jesus on my front of lawn, will be out of the question.
I'm going full Rio Jesus...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 07-17-2021, 06:34 PM

Not just repeating, complaining.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeneyra View Post
I'm s Christian, I believe in freedom of speech, and religion. Doesn't bother me, but moving on up is racial, referring to the Jefferson who lived on the east side. That bothers me, not sure what a pink flamingo has to do with any of this. Live and let live and just be friendly, this is your hometown friendliest place.
Any topic, any statement, can be perceived "racial" if that's what you're looking for. Js.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:37 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Old 07-17-2021, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
I was told that the little white cross meant they loss someone. So death- not religion. Looking at it that way puts a whole new perspective.
Except in the case of this thread, this topic, it is very specifically to do with religion. There are people who put these on their lawns and proclaim "freedom of RELIGION" as their justification to break the rules. There is currently a lawsuit about it. And now that there is so much support for this one household that has chosen to break the rules and use "freedom of religion" as their excuse, there is a new, very decisively religious statue on another home that is getting a lot of heavy press.

All because people refuse to follow the rules of their particular village. You choose to live in a neighborhood that has the rule "no lawn ornaments" then you should not be given a free pass just because your lawn ornament has some connection with a religion.

And all the people supporting them should remember that when they side with the rulebreakers, they're hanging their banner on the side of anarchy with the name "religion" printed on the bottom.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:45 AM

Put the symbols in The back yard!
Closed Thread

Tags
religious, moving, purchased, degrading, responsible

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.