Moving=Need to or Not

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2021, 10:46 AM
Default Moving=Need to or Not

I'll be moving soon and taking the pictures with me. Do I just leave the nails or screws in the wall or should I remove them and fill in the small holes. It will be hard to find the right paint to match.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:49 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

If you are an owner it's up to you. If you are a tenant your lease should state what you have to do at lease end. If you rented through Hometown you would have to fill them in ready for paint.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:52 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Moving

I left the screws in the wall.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:58 AM

When I have moved, I asked the real estate agent about removing the screws/picture hooks. Her comment was to leave them. If the next person wants to use them, great. If not, then they can remove and repair. They were considered incidental to the state of the house. You might want to leave the paint chip so they know what to buy if they want to repair.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwl View Post
I'll be moving soon and taking the pictures with me. Do I just leave the nails or screws in the wall or should I remove them and fill in the small holes. It will be hard to find the right paint to match.
Leave them. Most people don't do it properly causing the contractor to fix their patches. It takes a good painter less than 20 mins to remove the nails and screws. We use a ready mix patch and use our finger tips tp apply. Thus eliminating the need to sand, and it doesn't change the texture of the plaster. @ flat spots on knockdown or textured walls. Some homeowners have even used un paintable silicon caulk and 2in putty knives to apply it.. Len
Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I've always removed the picture hooks, mainly because I planned to use them at the next house

If you're careful the only thing that is left is a small nail hole, which can easily be filled in and sanded down before someone paints (or wallpapers...does anyone do that anymore)
Old 01-26-2021, 06:16 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Do what you feel like doing. Either way the wall will have to be patched and painted for new owners
Old 01-26-2021, 06:37 AM

Toothpaste
Old 01-26-2021, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,140 Times in 883 Posts

I've always filled the holes and repainted when leaving a place. I find it's the nice thing to do.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:31 AM
Veteran member

Reminds me when I bought my first house the ex owner was so cheap they took all the light bulbs
Old 01-26-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I've always filled the holes and repainted when leaving a place. I find it's the nice thing to do.
I eliminate that option by inserting a clause in the lease agreement that no alterations to the walls or anywhere in the property are allowed. Consequences for failure to adhere are steep so I make it very clear My property is furnished and there are pictures on the wall which complement the decor.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:20 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Agree with that thought
Old 01-26-2021, 09:58 AM

You should have a box of paint cans in one of the closets in the hall or kitchen cabinets. You can also get the paint maker and number from the villages building department for your home unless the house is older or been repainted.
Don’t use toothpaste. Go to Lowes and buy a tube of vinyl spackling sold just for this purpose. Like the lady says, “it’s the nice thing to do”
Old 01-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
There is a lot of missing, important information. If, you were renting the place from an owner, I would ask the owner. If, you are selling a property you own, if, your walls are like ours with a textured finish, I would have it professionally patched. There is an art to having the texture match. Our mover, dropped a piece of furniture into our brand new wall, making a hole of 4-5 inches. We had it professionally patched. I was shocked. The person did it in far less time than it would have taken me. The patch is perfect.
I know where it was and I do not see any difference.

In any case if, you are selling, or moving out of a rental. I would take photos. It is not at all uncommon in a rental for the owner to claim you left the place in poor condition and you owe them $$$$$. If, it is a sale, it has become common practice for the buyer or their atty to claim you did not leave the place in good condition and at closing to demand $$$$$.

I would suggest anyone and everyone take quality photos of how the place was are are ready willing and able not to allow yourself to be trapped.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Reminds me when I bought my first house the ex owner was so cheap they took all the light bulbs
It is amusing what people do. My sister bought a home many years ago and the contract said includes GE refrigerator. They did see a reasonably current GE refrigerator. So it makes sense she bought that house about 1974. The people did leave her a GE refrigerator. It was the type with an exposed motor on top. The date on the motor was 1936. My sister recently sold the home to her daughter. That 1936 refrigerator is still running in the basement. Energy use, who knows. I bet they could find someone who would trade it for a new unit.
Closed Thread

Tags
small, remove, fill, moving=need, holes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.