Multi Modal Path Usage - other than golf carts.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
The problem with the carts vs pedestrians and bikers is that even though the aggressive/thoughtless drivers may be in the "minority", this minority can cause incredible havoc. I ride a bike and also do a lot of walking, every day. I'd say almost every time I go out I encounter at least one aggressive golf cart rider. People don't seem to realize that if you are on a bike, you can't "stop on a dime" if someone turns in front of you. If you're walking and some golf cart zooms around a blind corner at a high rate of speed in the wrong lane, my reaction time might not be quick enough to jump out of the way. I deal with it my trying to do my exercise at quieter times of the day when there are less vehicles on the trails. It sounds like the OP is a biker, and I sympathize with him/her. This time of year, especially, with the huge increase in cart traffic, it's not easy being a biker on the multi modal paths. Speaking with my engineer's cap on, the trails were designed 20 years ago when golf carts were only going 12-13 mph. Now you have the fast carts going 20-25 mph, bikers averaging say 13 mph and walkers averaging say 3 mph, and of course anyone with a brain can see there are going to be safety issues.
I don't think one has to spend much time walking or biking on a MMP to have a close call with a cart, I have no reason to believe my experience would be any different from anyone else here , over a 2 1/2 year time frame two incidents stand out that would have certainly caused significant bodily harm were it not for the circumstance allowing others to take very abrupt action to prevent an accident , I walk but only very early in the AM, flash light ,reflective clothing, at one time I biked a lot, but not down here, not on a MMP or the street
Old 02-24-2024, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,950 Times in 4,147 Posts

Quote:
The problem with the carts vs pedestrians and bikers is that even though the aggressive/thoughtless drivers may be in the "minority", this minority can cause incredible havoc. I ride a bike and also do a lot of walking, every day. I'd say almost every time I go out I encounter at least one aggressive golf cart rider. People don't seem to realize that if you are on a bike, you can't "stop on a dime" if someone turns in front of you. If you're walking and some golf cart zooms around a blind corner at a high rate of speed in the wrong lane, my reaction time might not be quick enough to jump out of the way. I deal with it my trying to do my exercise at quieter times of the day when there are less vehicles on the trails. It sounds like the OP is a biker, and I sympathize with him/her. This time of year, especially, with the huge increase in cart traffic, it's not easy being a biker on the multi modal paths. Speaking with my engineer's cap on, the trails were designed 20 years ago when golf carts were only going 12-13 mph. Now you have the fast carts going 20-25 mph, bikers averaging say 13 mph and walkers averaging say 3 mph, and of course anyone with a brain can see there are going to be safety issues.
I agree with what was just posted. What does that have to do with the claim that it is the majority of golf cart drivers?
Old 02-24-2024, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Majority is a vague term. Is it 51% vs 49%? 70% vs 30%? Does it really matter? and who cares? The important thing is, there are stupid golf cart drivers out there, we've all seen them, who drive unsafely, and put others at risk.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,966 Times in 2,473 Posts

Quote:
Majority is a vague term. Is it 51% vs 49%? 70% vs 30%? Does it really matter? and who cares? The important thing is, there are stupid golf cart drivers out there, we've all seen them, who drive unsafely, and put others at risk.
You can say same thing about walkers, runners, bikers, vehicle drivers. The world full entitled stopidos.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilion Villager View Post
You clocked them??? Please tell us how you did that?
By driving along side them and looking at my speedometer.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
When i see these post I just cannot understand what the problem is. I have used those paths on my bicycle almost every day for over a year. Never had even the hint of a problem.
Probably someone wasn’t paying attention while on there phone and blundered out in front of someone.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
One problem is that many golf carts have a top speed of 20 MPH, but some drivers are NOT satisfied and jack up their governor to (say) 30 MPH. The end result is NO surprise.......there is a lot of passing. The Village Police should determine a top speed and then FORCE compliance Compliance with safety is WHAT Police do (ideally). Maybe the MMPs should have passing lanes in key spots like before a blind curve?
We need to fund the police portable dynamometers and have spot checks. Drive back wheels on Dyno mash gas and measure the speed of cart. If over recommended speed limit impound the cart issue citation go before judge to see if capable of following rules. With fines, impoundments, and court costs maybe judiciary system would be funded properly Naa, overkill
Old 02-24-2024, 09:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
We need to fund the police portable dynamometers and have spot checks. Drive back wheels on Dyno mash gas and measure the speed of cart. If over recommended speed limit impound the cart issue citation go before judge to see if capable of following rules. With fines, impoundments, and court costs maybe judiciary system would be funded properly Naa, overkill epper2:
Not in Oceania
Old 02-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Not in Oceania

So, you won’t make donation for good of law?
Old 02-26-2024, 05:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, you won’t make donation for good of law?
Law, yes. Orwellian nightmare, no.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
OK, maybe I should have phrased it differently. How about this: The OP claimed "a majority" of cart drivers won't share the road. Having driven over 25,000 miles in TV, I maintain it is more like 2-3%. Hardly "a majority" by any definition.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, maybe I should have phrased it differently. How about this: The OP claimed "a majority" of cart drivers won't share the road. Having driven over 25,000 miles in TV, I maintain it is more like 2-3%. Hardly "a majority" by any definition.
I run on the mm path and would agree with your numbers

Tags
golf, multi-modal, path, paths, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.