Multi Modal Path Usage - other than golf carts.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,428 Times in 2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieOn View Post
Good one..
Old 02-17-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Can someone explain to me why bikers don’t obey rules of road? Can someone explain to why walkers don’t follow Florida sunshine regulations?
Can you please explain what the "Florida sunshine regulations" are in regards to walkers?

I found plenty of references to public meetings but, not one involving walkers.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysum90 View Post
Will the villages ever do anything about the new e-bikes that don’t even need to be pedaled and are riding down the path like a moped?
There is nothing to be done. E-bikes are considered bicycles under Florida law. E-bike riders have the same rights and responsibilities as the rider of a "normal" bicycle. That is the way it should be.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-17-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
The Villages descriptions of a multi modal path includes sharing with pedestrians.

Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles. It’s not that difficult.

From the villages website.

Share the Path

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?” This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis. The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. For additional information, please click on the header of this announcement to read a memo from District Counsel regarding the use of multi-modal paths.
Effective July 1, 2013, The Florida Legislature amended FS 319.14 to allow the conversion of a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) to a golf cart. For additional information on the process of converting a LSV to a golf cart, please click on the following link: Low Speed Vehicles.
Another complainer……..
Old 02-17-2024, 08:07 AM

I have encountered a few pedestrians and bicycles at night with no light to help be seen. Please wear some lights at night so that is golf car drivers can see you. Once I see you, then I will be happy to not scare the wits out of you when I barely miss one on the MPPs. Just because you are on an MPP, doesn't mean you shouldn't make yourself visible like you were on a normal road. 500 ft is the requirement to be seen.
Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine
Old 02-17-2024, 08:08 AM

I’ve never asked my golf cart how it feels about other users of MM paths.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:09 AM
Default Be thoughtful.

Quote:
The Villages descriptions of a multi modal path includes sharing with pedestrians.

Can someone please explain to me why the majority of golf carts do not want to share the path with pedestrians or bicycles. It’s not that difficult.

Share the Path

"Who is allowed to use the multi-modal paths throughout The Villages?” This is a question that the District receives on a regular basis. The multi-modal paths are for use by NON-AUTOMOTIVE traffic such as bicycles, golf carts, pedestrians and skaters. It is not legal…nor is it smart…to drive vehicles such as smart cars, motorcycles, or mopeds on any of the multi-modal paths in The Villages. For additional information, please click on the header of this announcement to read a memo from District Counsel regarding the use of multi-modal paths.
Effective July 1, 2013, The Florida Legislature amended FS 319.14 to allow the conversion of a Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) to a golf cart. For additional information on the process of converting a LSV to a golf cart, please click on the following link: Low Speed Vehicles.
I've seen people biking double at 12 mph or less. I've seen bike riders spaced so it isn't safe to pass. I've seen bikes riding down the center of the path. Be thoughtful of others. I do bike the paths and when I do I understand others may have someplace to be. An appointment, lunch with friends, a tee time. I keep to one side. and if carts are stacking up due to hills, curves, or single lanes, I pull off to let them pass. If I'm bike riding on the paths, I'm not in a rush. But I'd rather be considerate of others than to cause an accident that may be mine. You can be right, but you could end up hurt or dead. We don't bounce like we used to.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

I have not read all the posts and my question might have already been answered.
Other than the treadmill I'm not a walker, but what I have noticed most area do not have sidewalks and either I see people in the streets or the golf cart paths.
If they do not utilize one of these, how do they get from one place to another?
Old 02-17-2024, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:

Share the Path

People generally see what they want to see.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:24 AM

Welcome to The Villages.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkerr View Post
Another complainer……..
Free speech.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,569 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just now: going south on MMP to Colony cottage, in sharp turn cart is coming at me in my lane, behind him another cart, in my lane. Both are trying to get by a recumbent bicyclist struggling with the hill. I looked to see if there was any room to swerve - no - curb etc looked behind me, no one, so applied brake forcefully. We passed each other, practically touching mirrors. The carts were obviously frustrated with the slow moving vehicle to take such a chance.
So? One incident doesn’t make it a daily problem
Old 02-17-2024, 09:20 AM

wear light/bright colored clothes when it is dark
Old 02-17-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Just now: going south on MMP to Colony cottage, in sharp turn cart is coming at me in my lane, behind him another cart, in my lane. Both are trying to get by a recumbent bicyclist struggling with the hill. I looked to see if there was any room to swerve - no - curb etc looked behind me, no one, so applied brake forcefully. We passed each other, practically touching mirrors. The carts were obviously frustrated with the slow moving vehicle to take such a chance.
Carts have a 20 mph speed limit which is rarely adhered to.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
So? One incident doesn’t make it a daily problem
I understand this problem every time i use that path and its busy. Some jerky old drunk will be driving 40 mph and screaming at me to get out of his way how do I dare etc.

I stay on bike paths now.

Tags
golf, multi-modal, path, paths, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.