Multi mode path "roadkill"....uncalled for abuse!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Multi mode path "roadkill"....uncalled for abuse!!!!

Nine years I have been walking the mm path between Arnold Palmer CC and 2 or three roundabouts south.

Today was a disgusting record!

An 18 inch turtle smashed on the road way

A block later a large squirrel

Complete and utterly uncalled for abuse of living creatures. The driver was either too old to see, did not slow down, did not give a .

And lest somebody try to rationalize how it could happen....please save it...THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Oh how I dearly would like to know the identity of the inconsiderate idiot.

btk
Old 04-08-2013, 09:16 AM

Had a squirrel run in front of my truck a month or so ago. I had no chance to do anything to miss him/her.
I think you need more info on each event before making a blanket indictment.
Bob
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Maybe happen at night

Maybe this happen at night and it could have been hard to see. Just a thought.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Sage

As a reminder if you come upon a turtle trying to cross a road and want to help - take it the direction he was traveling - not where he came from.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodbob View Post
Had a squirrel run in front of my truck a month or so ago. I had no chance to do anything to miss him/her.
I think you need more info on each event before making a blanket indictment.
Bob
agree, the squirrel probably darted out into the cart's path & was unavoidable. Let's hope that the turtle was an accident that happened at night with the driver being unable to see it until it was too late to avoid.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 04-08-2013, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

I would agree with the other posters, and I admire the OPs passion for all of the "residents" of the Villages . It would be one thing to deliberately run over an animal (or the turtle), but without more data......

Please note that while hitting an animal is not a desirable thing to do, most professionals (I have heard from several different patrol officers in multiple states) would advocate that if an animal were to suddenly appear in the roadway right in front of you, it would be better to hit the animal than to swerve or to try and avoid the animal (the presumption is that you have no time to brake). If you try to swerve, you could roll your vehicle (rate of speed is a factor), you could run off the road and seriously hurt yourself, or you could hit someone else.

To the OP, thanks for your passion, I wish that everyone cared as much and animal cruelty didn't exist.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Gold member

The last time I saw a turtle, there was no safe way to stop the car, get out, and place him on the grass. Yes, I missed him. But my safety is more important. What would I tell the Police and insurance company if I or my car were hit by the next motorist?
Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran member

we accidentally ran over a baby gator about 4 years ago on the path leafing out of Sumter. It darted out of the bushes so fast we didn't see it in time. It was ok and continued to the lake. The squirrel probably did the same thing. They are fast and have no sense of smarts when it comes to vehicles.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Nine years I have been walking the mm path between Arnold Palmer CC and 2 or three roundabouts south.

Today was a disgusting record!

An 18 inch turtle smashed on the road way

A block later a large squirrel

Complete and utterly uncalled for abuse of living creatures. The driver was either too old to see, did not slow down, did not give a .

And lest somebody try to rationalize how it could happen....please save it...THERE IS NO EXCUSE.

Oh how I dearly would like to know the identity of the inconsiderate idiot.

btk
Everyone,I think someone is just pulling your leg with this post.Please re-read this,now come on now.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.