Murphy Bed/ Wall Bed

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2020, 08:03 AM

We have a Murphy bed and love it. Our guests have said it is very comfortable and I love that it folds out of the way completely so the room can be used for workout, sewing, crafts, cards, etc. We did get 2 side cabinets for storage and it takes up a whole wall - but so would couch/day bed/etc. with side tables. Some of it depends on how you want to use the room for every day. We also looked at the cabinet beds but didn't care for them.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:11 AM

We have used Wall Beds Plus for our Gardenia front room Queen bed and lots of storage. Love it! If you would like to see it give us a call. We live in Amelia. 753-3163
Old 08-27-2020, 08:24 AM
Default Cabinet Bed —

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenR View Post
I'm asking for your recommendations for Murphy Beds/Wall Bed that you have installed with which you are very happy. Please include as much detail as possible, as this is a big investment for us and we are looking for valuable information.
Also, if you have had a bad experience and regret doing it, please let us know about that.
What would you have done differently?
Our only thoughts so far would be: 1] Excellent quality wood, as opposed to particle board or veneer 2] Not so big as to swallow up the entire room.
It is going into our 3rd bedroom/den.
Thanking you in advance for your interest, help, and valuable time.

Kathleen
We bought a queen-size cabinet bed. It can be moved anywhere and does not stay with the house if we sell.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:46 AM
Location: Yakima, WA, around the country to the village of Amelia!

We got a wall bed from Wall Beds Plus as well. It’s in our old house, and we are having another one installed in our new house. Love them! When the bed is up it turns into a desk, so I use it as my office. It’s going into a bedroom without a closet (den) so we’re having a cabinet for hangers and drawers installed on one side and office shelving and drawers on the other. Great place for the occasional 3rd guest!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:16 AM

We have twin Murphy beds with drawers and shelves in between. Custom design by Gingerich. Top of the line!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:19 AM
Default we also got the cabinet bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think these are called 'Daisy' beds? We looked at these also, about 75% the cost of a typical Murphy bed, but my better half did not like them. My point was the wall space above this unit was useable, for shelves.
have have several guests use it and were quite surprised at how comfortable it is

while mine was a bit expensive, i am seeing sales on them now

one of the things i like about it over the true murphy bed is it can be moved if needed since it is NOT attached to the wall or floor
Old 08-27-2020, 09:25 AM

Purchased very nice Murphy bed from TV resident, like new. It has upgraded covered mattress. Had it disassembled/moved/re- assembled by handyman; total cost below $750. We purchased tall, narrow bookcase for either side for VERY low cost; craft room, sewing room, guest room now!
Old 08-27-2020, 09:37 AM
Default Question about queen sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We also looked at murphy bed and then found a very nice queen size sofa bed that is very comfortable, both as a couch and as a bed, saved a bundle, and allows us to change the room around if we want to. We did once already!
Do you recommend the dealer from which your queen sofa was purchased?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis64 View Post
Purchased very nice Murphy bed from TV resident, like new. It has upgraded covered mattress. Had it disassembled/moved/re- assembled by handyman; total cost below $750. We purchased tall, narrow bookcase for either side for VERY low cost; craft room, sewing room, guest room now!
VT: What is the name of the manufacturer of your Q-size sofa bed?
Old 08-27-2020, 10:01 AM

Just helped my son assemble a murphy bed from breda beds. They only make murphy beds. The material is high density particle board laminated with a veneer. The construction is excellent. Everything fit exactly right, no re-drilliing or forcing. The assembled structure looks very nice, operates smoothly and feels substantial. My wife and I slept on it and it felt quite secure. Some things to consider. The total weight (queen sized) is 525 pounds. Individual pieces are under 50 pounds. Assembly is a 2 person job. Attaching the springs took some finagling and was not as easy as it appeared in the video. Put the springs onto the hinge mechanism BEFORE installing the mechanism onto the panel. The door is 2 pieces that are held together by a metal frame and some metal rails. That assembly weighs about 100 pounds or so and is assembled flat on the floor (you will need a square drill bit not provided. I think it was a number 4.) That assembly is tilted upright and then must be lifted about 8 inches and then lowered into the holder on the the back part of the wall unit. Not too bad other than the weight. It took my son and I the entire day (10AM until 7PM). You may also want to buy a piece of 1inch foam insulation (1 4x8 sheet just works on the queen size). This can be carved to fit between the metal rails that hold the front door pieces together to give your mattress a firmer foundation. Lots of useful information including pictures, assembly videos and how to measure on their website. Read all the way through the instructions BEFORE you start assembling. Also note that the online video does the assembly in a slightly different order than in the instructions.

If you do not have a strong assistant, I would recommend hiring a handyman or ordering with assembly (I think they charge about $250).
Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
Yes, you can definitely use the wall space above. Also, it doesn’t look like it’s taking up the whole room like the Murphy Beds do.
The ones I’ve seen are bulky though imo. They take up a good amount of floor space. Sofa bed is at least useable when closed.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:15 AM
Default "Cabinet Bed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia54 View Post
The also sell something called a cabinet bed. It’s not as big as a Murphy Bed so it doesn’t take up as much room. It kind of like a tv table. You can get it with a queen size bed.
Depending on the height of the "cabinet bed", it can possibly be used practically as a craft-type table.

We considered a Murphy bed and looked around for a second-hand one. The second-hand Murphy beds can be a lot less expensive, but you'll probably have to carefully help take it apart and then put it back together in your home. (It would likely be worth it to save the money.)

We went with a day bed with pop-up trundle in our "3rd bedroom". The guest room is finely furnished and fairly dedicated for guests, and since additional visitors who would need a bed is minimal each year, providing the day bed is quite adequate and keeps the room more open for other purposes ("office" for us). The everyday setting with day bed and trundle is very comfortable for seating, TV, and naps, and the twin size allows for a combined king size bed (with trundle open) as needed.

Having said all that, I have seen very lovely rooms with Murphy beds.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by almondz View Post
We have a Murphy bed and love it. Our guests have said it is very comfortable and I love that it folds out of the way completely so the room can be used for workout, sewing, crafts, cards, etc. We did get 2 side cabinets for storage and it takes up a whole wall - but so would couch/day bed/etc. with side tables. Some of it depends on how you want to use the room for every day. We also looked at the cabinet beds but didn't care for them.
We did this also and are very happy with it. We built our own.
Old 08-27-2020, 12:21 PM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan
Default Cabinet Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDC View Post
We got rid of the full size queen guest bed and got a cabinet queen bed. It was a great decision. Takes up less space. You can move it to another wall or another room. Take it with you when you move. Bought it at Family Furniture.
We bought this (see photo) cabinet Murphy Bed queen size. Along with it being “portable” it’s very comfortable.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	1007C524-59EC-4925-84E5-457043888867.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	86013  
Old 08-27-2020, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Wish Murphy would come back and redesign his bed to make it more competitive with other types of bedding.
Closed Thread

Tags
bed, big, murphy, valuable, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.