My observations on summer in TV

Closed Thread
Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Default My observations on summer in TV

We have spent winter months in TV for nine years, but had never spent a day between May and January until this year. We purchased a CYV in March and decided to spend at least a month in the summer this year. Having been a long time TOTV member I had of course, read lots of comments on the issues caused by snowbirds in the winter. Here are my opinions on some of those issues.

1. Weather: The weather is undeniably hot, however it is actually somewhat less oppressive than our summer weather, particularly this summer, in Missouri. The regular afternoon thunderstorms are interesting, but haven't caused us to alter plans for the most part.

2. Traffic: I have to say I have not really noticed a big difference in the traffic through TV this summer as compared to usual winter months. This is not a scientific conclusion, just my sense of what I see.

3. Restaurant access: Again we have not really noticed a huge difference in getting a table at our favorite restaurants. Yes, at the peak dinner time we may have to wait a bit more often in winter, but not to a troublesome extent.

4. Golf tee times: I like to play early (before 8 am) in the winter and summer, and actually have found it harder to get tee times on the executive courses now than in the typical winter. There are extenuating circumstances for that, including golfers trying to beat the heat, and recent golf course closures, leading to fewer available tee times. I get on the system three days out and, as a single, find very few of the courses close to 466a available till afternoon. I always find something to my liking but it is slim pickins. When I go for two with my neighbor, it is tough getting anything before noon. I usually carry 7-8 points so I don't use the system for assignments.

5. The squares: We still enjoy going to the squares in the evening, and consider it part of the TV experience. We go once or twice a week on average and have found the crowds to be similar in size to those in Jan. to April. That was a big surprise, and we don't just go to the "big names".

6. I expected the pools to be more crowded in the summer, but the Sanibel and Captiva pools have been less crowded than in the winter.

Again, these are my unscientific personal observations, so try not to point out how delusional I am if you see it otherwise. We have greatly enjoyed all our winter stays here and equally enjoyed our summer stay. I am sure we would also enjoy fall here, though that is a treasured time in Missouri and we will return to our Kansas City home for that time. Clearly, The Villages is a fine place to be any time.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Thanks for your observations. I thought they helped with my perspective, especially about the weather!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Ed,

Thanks!! This really helps balance all those things we hear about from afar.

Tom
Old 08-21-2018, 09:48 AM
Sage

Traffic is less dense as are the store/shoppers but maybe the latter is due to when we go. During the busy season, we try to stagger our shopping to less busy times of day PLUS take less traveled roads if possible to get to our destinations.

One thing we've noticed with weather---the weather in the states we one lived (middle of the country) are hotter/muggier than here AND they're flooding from the rains, where it never used to do that in past years of my memory. We joke with friends and family when we visit---that we'll go home to where it's "cooler".
Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Traffic is less dense as are the store/shoppers but maybe the latter is due to when we go. During the busy season, we try to stagger our shopping to less busy times of day PLUS take less traveled roads if possible to get to our destinations.

One thing we've noticed with weather---the weather in the states we one lived (middle of the country) are hotter/muggier than here AND they're flooding from the rains, where it never used to do that in past years of my memory. We joke with friends and family when we visit---that we'll go home to where it's "cooler".
I agree with both you and Ed. We spent the month of August in TV a few years ago and recently the month of July. Both times we felt the weather was much more pleasant in TV than the mid-atlantic region. You can get out of the heat by seeking shade or sitting on a lanai/veranda with a fan overhead. But try getting away from oppressive humidity that goes on for days. To me that's the difference between enjoying a summer day outdoors versus not.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The Migratory Humanoid thing is a GIGANTIC Mental Stroke. You wait a couple of minutes here and there. Big deal.

Bless those who pay all year and are only here a short time. Can you imagine the Tears that would Flow if they didn’t financially support our community year round?

The OP is on the money and a very kind, thoughtful, accurate post. Bravo!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Platinum member

As a retired person I don't find a need to constantly go shopping etc. I do spend more time relaxing and lf I have to go it is usually early morning
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage

As usual Ed, a well thought out post.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
We have spent winter months in TV for nine years, but had never spent a day between May and January until this year. We purchased a CYV in March and decided to spend at least a month in the summer this year. Having been a long time TOTV member I had of course, read lots of comments on the issues caused by snowbirds in the winter. Here are my opinions on some of those issues.

1. Weather: The weather is undeniably hot, however it is actually somewhat less oppressive than our summer weather, particularly this summer, in Missouri. The regular afternoon thunderstorms are interesting, but haven't caused us to alter plans for the most part.

2. Traffic: I have to say I have not really noticed a big difference in the traffic through TV this summer as compared to usual winter months. This is not a scientific conclusion, just my sense of what I see.

3. Restaurant access: Again we have not really noticed a huge difference in getting a table at our favorite restaurants. Yes, at the peak dinner time we may have to wait a bit more often in winter, but not to a troublesome extent.

4. Golf tee times: I like to play early (before 8 am) in the winter and summer, and actually have found it harder to get tee times on the executive courses now than in the typical winter. There are extenuating circumstances for that, including golfers trying to beat the heat, and recent golf course closures, leading to fewer available tee times. I get on the system three days out and, as a single, find very few of the courses close to 466a available till afternoon. I always find something to my liking but it is slim pickins. When I go for two with my neighbor, it is tough getting anything before noon. I usually carry 7-8 points so I don't use the system for assignments.

5. The squares: We still enjoy going to the squares in the evening, and consider it part of the TV experience. We go once or twice a week on average and have found the crowds to be similar in size to those in Jan. to April. That was a big surprise, and we don't just go to the "big names".

6. I expected the pools to be more crowded in the summer, but the Sanibel and Captiva pools have been less crowded than in the winter.

Again, these are my unscientific personal observations, so try not to point out how delusional I am if you see it otherwise. We have greatly enjoyed all our winter stays here and equally enjoyed our summer stay. I am sure we would also enjoy fall here, though that is a treasured time in Missouri and we will return to our Kansas City home for that time. Clearly, The Villages is a fine place to be any time.
I could not agree more. Especially about the weather. Always get a kick out of people from the midwest saying they hate Florida because of hot summers. I have spent part of the last 4 summers in TV- and it is on average cooler and less muggy than home due to the afternoon rains that come every day. Thanks for a great post.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 08-21-2018, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

I find the summer sun more penetrating down here due to further south. I also find at about 10 am the humidity and sun barring down on my back feels hotter in than in Oklahoma (where I spent 20 years) sun even when it get up to 110 plus, at 10 am in okie land didn't seem that hot yet as down here. IMO summers are way less crowded no matter what you're activity is. IMO Bottom line hot is hot no matter where you are if you have to work in it. Play play whole different game.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:51 PM

What is a CYV?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudoll View Post
What is a CYV?
A courtyard villa. They have fences around them.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Platinum member

I think the traffic is much lighter and the restaurants much easier also.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My husband recently commented that the traffic seems heavier this summer but it is still less crowded. IMHO
Old 08-22-2018, 12:49 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Summer is longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
I think the traffic is much lighter and the restaurants much easier also.
I agree that traffic is lighter in the summer and restaurants not as crowded most of the time in TV. I have never thought traffic was bad in The Villages in season or out of season.

When we stayed the entire summer, we found that its just longer (about twice as long) as back in Illinois and more humid too. Until Air Conditioning became afforable in the 60’s and 70’s, people that could afford it headed for the coasts. Because of the length, a lot of full-time residents take a “vacation” in the summer.

Tags
summer, winter, time, big, times

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.