My Thoughts about an article in Sunday's paper

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 PM
Veteran member
Talking A Good One

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
According to Sperling's Best Places, 35.56% of Villagers are religious. Of this amount, 0.9% are Muslim. So, I would an article about Ramadan is relevant to many Villagers, including those just curious about the holiday. To say that a newspaper should ignore a high holy holiday because it is not your religion of choice is, at best, narrow minded. The Sun has done an excellent of printing articles about Christianity and Judaism. Nice to see one about Islam. Hoping they do a few more and also articles about Buddhist festivals, Shinto practices, Confucism, Wiccan rites, etc.
An excellent response!

I, too, would like to see more diverse articles on non-every-day things, including some of the lesser known religions.

I still have a little room left in my brain to learn more.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
One day it will happen close to us . How would you feel today if one of your children was among the dead or injured?
I would feel terrible. Much like I would about the thousands of other shootings, bombings and other tragedies that have absolutely nothing to do with religion.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

The religion, Islam, does not condone murder of any kind. They do extol martyrdom.

I've wondered how al-Qaeda, the Jihadists, etc., justify what they do under the guise of religion.
They ARE Islamic. A jihadist is a Muslim who has declared war on non believers.

what is a jihadist - Bing

Many people confuse Islam with peaceful religions like Budhism.

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-31-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Wasn't their prophet, Muhammed, a pedophile because when at about age 50 he married a six or seven year old girl, Aisha?

Supposedly he waited until she attained the age of nine (whoopee!) to consummate the marriage when he was age 53.

No offense but that makes me want to puke.

His first marriage was at age 25 to a wealthy 40 year old woman...what a guy!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-31-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:52 PM
Default Islam is an Ideolgy

Americans have been lulled to sleep with regard to Islam by liberals, globalists and the MSM. Islam is an ideology. Sharia is the fascist law that is above every other law, even the constitution. No Sharia compliant, Islamist (whether conservative, moderate or radical) can swear allegiance to anything above Sharia, except and unless they lie. And, Muslims are allowed to lie to further Islam.

Americans need to be informed. Below are excepts from the Koran:
• Infidels are those who declare: “God is the Christ, the son of Mary” (Sura 5:17)
• Infidels are those that say “God is one of three in a Trinity” (Sura 5:73)
• Believers, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies (Sura 5:51)
• Believers, do not make friends with those who have incurred the wrath of Allah (Sura 60:13)
• Infidels are your sworn enemies (Sura 4:101)
• Make war on the infidels who dwell around you (Sura 9:123)
• Prophet, make war on the infidels (Sura 66:9)
• When you meet the infidel in the battlefield strike off their heads (Sura 47:4)
• Muhammad is Allah’s apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the infidels (Sura 48:29)

The Marines were called upon in the early 1800's to deal with the Barbary pirates and slavery of American citizens and sailors. Marines are called "leathernecks" because they wore wide leather collars to keep from being beheaded by the Barbary Muslims.

A quick intro article can be found on WND by Bill Federer - "The Treaty of Tripoli: Not what atheists think." (I'm new and the site would not let me link)

What is happening in America today is know as cultural jihadism. Look up Kamal Saleem or Walid Shoebat's testimony on YouTube. They were Muslim terrorists sent to the US to infiltrate, but both found Jesus and his whole life changed. Their testimonies are eye-opening and very informative.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:14 AM
Email Reported As Spam

As this nation continues its march toward secularism we continue to promote other religions while we ignore the anti Christian propaganda which continues to grow in this nation. we were a nation founded on the Judaeo-Christian faiths

Personal Best Regards:
Old 06-01-2017, 05:20 AM

We were in Turkey during Ramadan, and found the faithful to be as any other God based religion to be. We celebrated with them the day the time of fasting and reflection was over, and it was a wonderful experience going from house to house with treats and sweets. People are now Muslim phobic the same way they were homo phobic in the 70's and 80's. Please do not speak from a point of ignorance. Plus what my religious belief happens to be is protected by the constitution of the USA....... People who hate others for no reason, other than their own narrow mindedness, are always on the path to unhappiness. In this case I am sure this thread was started to provoke, rather than state the true views of the person who started it. Bad taste indeed!
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by doran View Post
We were in Turkey during Ramadan, and found the faithful to be as any other God based religion to be. We celebrated with them the day the time of fasting and reflection was over, and it was a wonderful experience going from house to house with treats and sweets. People are now Muslim phobic the same way they were homo phobic in the 70's and 80's. Please do not speak from a point of ignorance. Plus what my religious belief happens to be is protected by the constitution of the USA....... People who hate others for no reason, other than their own narrow mindedness, are always on the path to unhappiness. In this case I am sure this thread was started to provoke, rather than state the true views of the person who started it. Bad taste indeed!
I think I remember that your wife was a travel agent in California. Did she arrange for the house to house treats experience?

Were you aware of the Muslim religious views on homosexuality? I believe that speaking from a point of ignorance is not the case here for some of us.

Not sure when you were there last. Just to remind you of some not so tourist friendly events in Turkey recently. List of terrorist incidents in Turkey (2016) | ElSurveillance

Here is the current State Department Travel Advisory to Turkey; Turkey Travel Warning

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-01-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Thank you Mrs. Robinson and Redwitch.....what is wrong about learning about other cultures/religions? Would you be offended by an article about the Amish, for example? Hard to believe such small minds still exist.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
Thank you Mrs. Robinson and Redwitch.....what is wrong about learning about other cultures/religions? Would you be offended by an article about the Amish, for example? Hard to believe such small minds still exist.
I agree! I found it interesting.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I had a close friend at the University of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management in 1983-1984. Mahmood Mohammad. He was a cataloger at the University of Mosul in Iraq and a devout Muslim. He also introduced me to some of the other Muslims/Arabs at the U of Denver. Many from different Middle Eastern countries. Mahmood's brother was high up in Saddam Hussein's military. Maybe even a general.

I kept up a correspondence with Mahmood as the Iran-Iraq War went on. His views of the West became more and more intolerant so we eventually both broke off the letters exchanged. Iran-Iraq War - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

I doubt if any of the Muslims/Arabs he introduced me to felt the same way about the West as Muslim because of his brother and the very bloody Iran-Iraq War that was going on then.

Now in Mosul where fighting rages against ISIS I will bet that a lot of the Muslims there have complicated ideas about the West especially after they have seen the medieval barbarity of ISIS.

Have no idea what happened with Mahmood and the U of Mosul Library. It seemed to have been used with other buildings of the U of Mosul as headquarters or something else --the development of improvised explosive devices-- by ISIS.

My point is it is important to take these things in their proper geographic and historical context.

Muslims fighting in Iraq are going to be for the most part extremely different from those you find in Leesburg and Ocala.

My old friend Mahmood near the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, CO.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps517040a4.jpg

Home - Garden of the Gods Visitor Center

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-01-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:31 AM

I sure wish you people were as smart and well informed about the real world, rather than what you hear and read. Truth be known, most folks in the USA have never left the country to first hand experience the way things are in different cultures and religions of the world. Until you can say you have seen this Islamic Jihad and the way it is shunned by the majority of Islam, this is nothing but one persons opinion. If anyone wants to take personal offense to what I have to say, as the last comment, bring it on. You have no business singling me out personally and I take offense. Last time I checked, you are not the moderator.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Sage

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

What defines a religion?

Imo, Any group can legally be deemed a terrorist organization.

UK: What British Muslims Really Think

Half of all British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal, poll finds | UK news | The Guardian

There is almost no such thing as a lone Wolf. Notice all the arrests afterwards. All that knew of the plan are terrorists as well, and it's a wide web.

The technological Advance of weapons will necessitate the reduction of certain rights in order to preserve mankind.

" tragically, in the high probability that advanced civilizations destroy themselves"

Charles Krauthammer and the Fermi Paradox | The Sensuous Curmudgeon
Old 06-01-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by circletrack View Post
The responses here are very eye opening indeed.

But I don't believe that understanding or being welcoming to someone else that is different than you has anything to do with politics.

I now fear for what a thread on the civil rights movement would divulge here.
I found this story about a Midwestern US raised Muslim woman now living in Seattle very interesting.

What Can You Do to Broaden Your Worldview? Have Dinner with Your Muslim Neighbor - Food & Drink - The Stranger

I remember eating with Mahmood. His wife and kids were always kept in another room away from me and also from the Muslim friends Mahmood had over. If they had wives and kids they might mingle though.

Mahmood always insisted that I clean my plate and I would often leave quite full.

He would pray five times a day. Was repulsed by various things in US culture like many of the shows on TV.

Invited me to visit him in Iraq and talked about the wonders of Babylon. Babylon - Wikipedia Had a keen interest in books but not so much of things of the West.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I found this story about a Midwestern US raised Muslim woman now living in Seattle very interesting.

What Can You Do to Broaden Your Worldview? Have Dinner with Your Muslim Neighbor - Food & Drink - The Stranger

I remember eating with Mahmood. His wife and kids were always kept in another room away from me and also from the Muslim friends Mahmood had over. If they had wives and kids they might mingle though.

Mahmood always insisted that I clean my plate and I would often leave quite full.

He would pray five times a day. [CENTER]Was repulsed by various things in US culture like many of the shows on TV.
[/CENTER]

Invited me to visit him in Iraq and talked about the wonders of Babylon. Babylon - Wikipedia Had a keen interest in books but not so much of things of the West.

How did he feel about dogs?

Tags
villages, bad, article, thoughts, ramadan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.