Natural Gas Grill

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2021, 08:08 AM
Veteran member

No more dangerous than propane, I plumbed my own natural gas to run portable generator. Use approved fittings and sealants check final installation for leaks. No issues.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:23 AM

Plumber
Old 01-09-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
Currently in the process of buying a new home in Marsh Bend and can't wait to close. Since I grill a lot I sure would like to have a grill that runs off the natural gas supply but the house doesn't currently have a hook up for it. The meter is in the front left of the house and the area for the grill is in the back right. Has anyone ever done a gas line installation for a grill? If so, do you start with the gas company or just a general plumber?
Not sure but I believe all TV homes are like ours and the gas lines all come through the attic where a junction is located. We had an extension line to our back patio installed by our licensed contractor. The greatest advantage to natural gas is a much higher cooking temperature obtained by increasing the size of the openings on the small brass fittings inside any grill (very easy to do and lots of YouTube videos). Our grill heats up almost immediately and can sear streaks perfectly at 800*.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:46 AM
Veteran member

I have always preferred propane because of its flexibility. I can move my grill here as far as I like to get away from any wind or rain that may be of consequence. I also have a condo in Omaha that has a gas line located perfectly on my deck but I have never and will never use it because, again, I like the flexibility available with my propane grills. In either case I can move my grills 20 feet or more if I like. I probably go through four or five tanks of propane a year. For me, propane is the only answer but that's just me.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
No more dangerous than propane, I plumbed my own natural gas to run portable generator. Use approved fittings and sealants check final installation for leaks. No issues.
So did I. You have to find a length of black pipe which is not too easy to find. Poked through the CBS wall from the kitchen and put a valve inside the house where the gas stove also connects to the gas line. I would not use flexible gas pipe.

Remember when you order your grill, you must get the model made for Natural Gas. It's different (orafices) than the Propane one. No more hassle with empty propane tanks in the middle of your grilling efforts.

Also take a small magnet with you to the store. Make sure the metal is REAL stainless steel. If the magnet sticks, even slightly, it'll rust. My SS grill (HD brand) is 17 years old and still looks brand new.

You can do the job yourself if you're handy and know how to do gas fittings. Otherwise use a licensed contractor.

Skip
Old 01-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

Yes, works great!

You need a plumber with a license to work on gas lines. Not all plumbers have such a license. A permit will probably be required to run a line to your grill and an inspection will be required once the permitted work is completed.

An earlier poster was correct. The natural gas manifold is located in your attic. A new line to your grill must be run from there. I’d suggest NOT trying to do it yourself. If there is subsequent fire damage, your homeowner’s insurance coverage will be voided!

Last edited by Villages Kahuna; 01-09-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:58 AM

You don't need to buy a new grill. The contractor can adapt your current propane orifice (by drilling it out) for natural gas.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Natural gas has a different orfice..
Old 01-09-2021, 11:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,629 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I would go for that too.
I also have an extra tank at home.
Old 01-09-2021, 11:32 AM

Get a gas plumber run a line from the meter to the patio and get a Weber gas grill they come for natural gas
Old 01-09-2021, 11:42 AM
Default Gas grill

Converted my weber grill to natural gas. I'm tired of lugging tanks and finding a place for a refill. My plumber ran a line from the meter to my small patio by the back door to the garage. I use a quick disconnect rubber gas line to hook it to the grill. You need to add a pressure regulator at the grill and you need to replace the jets with a larger size or drill them out. There are kits available online to do this. The natural gas jets are smaller because LP gas has much higher pressure. My grill stays there all the time ready to go and I'm not going to run out of gas. Always happens at the worst time. I had a customer in Miami killed because he stored an extra tank in his lanai that was leaking LP gas, goes to the floor, heavier than air, and when he lit his grill the room virtually exploded killing him.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie0723 View Post
can be done without digging up the yard. Gas lines are in the attic, about a 1 to 2hr job to add an outside port. Contact teco for cost.
as a former gas utility worker i never came across gas house piping meeting at an attic junction. For an outside gas meter on the outlet side we would install a 4 way hp tee. One would branch to yhe kitchen ,. The other we would dig a small trench and lay the piping in the earth and run it to the barbecue and or pool. We would perform a manometer pressure test to certify that there were no leaks. Don't understand the concept of centralizing gas piping into the attic
Old 01-09-2021, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
as a former gas utility worker i never came across gas house piping meeting at an attic junction. For an outside gas meter on the outlet side we would install a 4 way hp tee. One would branch to yhe kitchen ,. The other we would dig a small trench and lay the piping in the earth and run it to the barbecue and or pool. We would perform a manometer pressure test to certify that there were no leaks. Don't understand the concept of centralizing gas piping into the attic
Homes south of the Turnpike have gas distributed using something like this in the attic.

FlashShield Flexible Gas Piping and Accessories
Old 01-09-2021, 01:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie0723 View Post
homes south of the turnpike have gas distributed using something like this in the attic.

flashshield flexible gas piping and accessories
thanks for info. However i would never run a line from the meter to the attic and then back to ground level to the bbq
as far as lightning protection their system does not protect the service line, the regulator, the meter, the outlet piping nor the wall mounted direct hot water maker all outside the building wall
Old 01-09-2021, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental1 View Post
Currently in the process of buying a new home in Marsh Bend and can't wait to close. Since I grill a lot I sure would like to have a grill that runs off the natural gas supply but the house doesn't currently have a hook up for it. The meter is in the front left of the house and the area for the grill is in the back right. Has anyone ever done a gas line installation for a grill? If so, do you start with the gas company or just a general plumber?
If you have one installed, remember to turn the grill off. I forgot to once and let’s just say I won’t forget again. $$$$$!
Closed Thread

Tags
grill, gas, house, natural, start

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.